April 26, 2024, 06:26:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BeatStep Pro/Ableton Live/ Racks of hardware synths  (Read 3216 times)

ADV

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
BeatStep Pro/Ableton Live/ Racks of hardware synths
« on: July 26, 2015, 12:07:02 am »
I owned an original BeatStep and was blown away with the features of the new one. I picked one up yesterday and played with it for hours this morning with some frustration. I come from the days of ALL MIDI gear so it's not new to me.

My setup is OSX 10.9.5, 2x MOTU Midi Express XTs, MOTU 24Ai (most of my hardware synths are plugged directly into it) & UAD Apollo. BSP is connected via USB and all MIDI routing is done in Ableton.

Here is my problem. So if I use the BSP as the Master clock when I start the sequence it stutters the first beat and takes a bar or 2 to get the tempo right. I also noticed the tempo in Ableton isn't exact when slaved off the BSP. If I use Ableton as the master clock over USB the sequences in the BSP don't start. I have tried all different settings with no luck. I also have MCU setup. Should I connect the BSP via MIDI? Is this just a bug? Are there setting in the MCC I need to change?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Sabatini

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: BeatStep Pro/Ableton Live/ Racks of hardware synths
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 02:32:06 pm »

Set up ableton controllers correctly, then it will work

Ableton does not speak HUI

have a look on youtube

ADV

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:29:27 pm »
I followed the video for setting it up and I am using MCU not HUI.

ADV

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 03:37:05 pm »
After spending hours last night trying different settings in Ableton and Logic & MCC, I'm starting to think I have a faulty unit. There were times it would work and without changing any setting it would stop working.  >:(

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 04:30:56 pm »
Hey !

Sorry you are encountering these issues,

I just tried and was able to trigger the Beatstep pro each time I hit the play button on Ableton.

What I did was simply :

-Set the Beatstep Pro sync mode to "USB"
- In Ableton, turn the little "Sync" yellow button to on on the Output : Arturia Beatstep Pro (Arturia Beatstep Pro) line

Nothing more, did not use the Control Surface option,  no MCU or anything.

When you recreate this setup, does your Beatstep start along with Ableton ? I'd like to make sure before concluding to any defect on your unit !

ADV

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 05:25:52 pm »
Hey Vic-tor thanks for the reply. I will try when I get home but I feel like I have tried every configuration with no luck. I will let you know what happens.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines