April 20, 2024, 03:49:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Problems with Beatstep Pro  (Read 62753 times)

dm13

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Problems with Beatstep Pro
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2015, 02:31:34 am »
also there is a problem with the latest FW 1.1.1.6 and sync
so I'm using 1.1.1.4  below. please note this is not a released FW

Thank you for the firmware.
1.1.1.6 not only haas sync bugs, but has broken Hz/Volt mode as well, so my MS-20 did only microtonal stuff.
With your firmware it works as it should, in a plain old 12-tone scale. Oh yeah! ;)

However, sync stuff is broken in the 1.1.1.4 as well.
I posted my detailed findings here: http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=85368.0
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 02:33:41 am by dm13 »

Burnart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2015, 12:32:08 am »
I got my BeatStep Pro last week. I updated to firmware ending in 6. Prior to the firmware update the Midi Controller software on my PC didn't recognise the unit properly - it does now and seems to work fine. With the device itself I am primarily running it hooked up to an Arturia Origin module. Some of the issues I'm having are when a sequence is first started the first few notes can go weird - wrong notes, doubled notes - even sliding notes where there shouldn't be any. The second time through the sequence plays fine as does any other sequence I select after the first one. This doesn't happen every single time I hit the play button but pretty often - 1 in 3 maybe. Another thing I've observed is the longer I have sequences running the more likely I am to pick up sustained notes. If I just stop the device the held notes keep going and the only way to end them is to select a different patch on the Origin. At first I thought this was a gate setting issue but it still occurs even in patterns where my gate times are 25 or less.

Looking forward to the next firmware update - maybe some of these things will be corrected.

Edit: I also meant to say that the way this thing behaves at the moment I wouldn't use it live - too unreliable. Which is sad because I haven't had so much fun with a new gadget since I got a TB 303 in the 80s. Arturia needs to make fixing the issues with this device a priority because it could be a classic.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:42:57 am by Burnart »

sbDigisound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2015, 08:27:48 am »
...........Another thing I've observed is the longer I have sequences running the more likely I am to pick up sustained notes. If I just stop the device the held notes keep going and the only way to end them is to select a different patch on the Origin. At first I thought this was a gate setting issue but it still occurs even in patterns where my gate times are 25 or less.

This is exactly what I have been experiencing - on two separate units.

Sincerely hope Arturia take note here as it wrecks an otherwise great bit of equipment.

k.rad

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2015, 11:45:15 am »
...........Another thing I've observed is the longer I have sequences running the more likely I am to pick up sustained notes. If I just stop the device the held notes keep going and the only way to end them is to select a different patch on the Origin. At first I thought this was a gate setting issue but it still occurs even in patterns where my gate times are 25 or less.

Sincerely hope Arturia take note here as it wrecks an otherwise great bit of equipment.

this issue is known by many users, including me:
Notes Being Held Open:
http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=84950.0

could Arturia get this fixed PLEASE?
Or at least, let us know if fixing is in progress, so we donīt have to return our units...

sbDigisound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2015, 11:57:16 am »

this issue is known by many users, including me:
Notes Being Held Open:
http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=84950.0

could Arturia get this fixed PLEASE?
Or at least, let us know if fixing is in progress, so we donīt have to return our units...

Thanks for making me aware of this - hadn't seen this thread. So thus far I have returned one unit and got exactly the same problem with it's replacement. Massive waste of time & money all round.
Arturia - if you have a problem at least admit it (you told me to return it BTW) or better still fix it.
This is such a fundamental flaw it should be top of your list.

Burnart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2015, 12:07:56 am »
when a sequence is first started the first few notes can go weird - wrong notes, doubled notes - even sliding notes where there shouldn't be any. The second time through the sequence plays fine as does any other sequence I select after the first one. .... Another thing I've observed is the longer I have sequences running the more likely I am to pick up sustained notes

Not good form to quote yourself but I have to confess I'm no longer convinced the BeatStep Pro is the source of these problems. The weird notes at the beginning I've now determined is the inbuilt delay in the Origin trying to sync to the BeatStep Pro clock. I've turned off the Origin's delay sync and manually  set the delay to where I want and it doesn't happen any more. As far as the sustained notes go I tried hooking the BSP up to a microKorg and I never once got this happening. I've also not had it happen when I had the BSP connected to my desktop pc. Seems like the Arturia Beatstep Pro and the Arturia Origin module don't play nice with each other - which is both disappointing and ironic. If other people are having the sustained note problem what gear are you using your BSP with?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 01:16:24 am by Burnart »

sbDigisound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2015, 07:16:04 am »
when a sequence is first started the first few notes can go weird - wrong notes, doubled notes - even sliding notes where there shouldn't be any. The second time through the sequence plays fine as does any other sequence I select after the first one. .... Another thing I've observed is the longer I have sequences running the more likely I am to pick up sustained notes

Not good form to quote yourself but I have to confess I'm no longer convinced the BeatStep Pro is the source of these problems. The weird notes at the beginning I've now determined is the inbuilt delay in the Origin trying to sync to the BeatStep Pro clock. I've turned off the Origin's delay sync and manually  set the delay to where I want and it doesn't happen any more. As far as the sustained notes go I tried hooking the BSP up to a microKorg and I never once got this happening. I've also not had it happen when I had the BSP connected to my desktop pc. Seems like the Arturia Beatstep Pro and the Arturia Origin module don't play nice with each other - which is both disappointing and ironic. If other people are having the sustained note problem what gear are you using your BSP with?

I have this exact same issue which presents with any hardware synth connected (directly) to the BSP 5 pin MIDI output..

I have used a Voyager, a Mopho and  Supernova and all demonstrate these occasional hanging / sustained notes.

I have other sequencers (eg SQ-1) that never do this.

The fault is coming from the BSP.

ArguZ

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2015, 12:08:57 pm »
The product has a rough start, i agree, but please stop being dicks to each other over little bugs.

On the other hand, i would wish for stronger moderation from Arturias side.
Both technically and to calm the Kindergarten.

Burnart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2015, 12:10:33 am »
The product has a rough start, i agree, but please stop being dicks to each other over little bugs.

On the other hand, i would wish for stronger moderation from Arturias side.
Both technically and to calm the Kindergarten.

Wow!....Can't say I've noticed anyone being overly aggressive or abusive here so I'm not quite sure what you are reacting to but the problem of unwanted held notes is not a "little bug" it renders this device unusable for live work as far as I am concerned. Having said that I LOVE the BSP. I want it to work right and giving Arturia feedback through the forums is one way of encouraging them and pointing them in the right direction.

Edit: BTW I tested the BSP with a little Pittsburgh modular system (that had a midi in converter so I didn't need to use the cv/gate) and it picked up held notes confirming this is pretty widespread. I'll try with the cv/gate when I get my next chance.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:10:21 am by Burnart »

Zymos

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2015, 04:30:51 pm »
I'm not saying it's not happening to the people who are saying it is, but I've used this thing for many hours by now, controlling hardware and software synths through both USB and 5 pin MIDI, and I haven't experienced this issue a single time.

Burnart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2015, 12:01:08 am »
That's good Zymos you are confirming it isn't a universal problem. Like I said earlier it is an issue with the Arturia Origin module which is the device I mainly wanted to use it with. However, I've had no problems with soft synths and it worked fine the evening I had it hooked up to a microKorg. What I have been wondering is whether there is any continuity of experience across a group of users. Is there someone else using the gear I have mentioned with a BSP? - is their experience different or the same as mine?

RichMakeGame

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2015, 04:13:44 pm »
I hadn't encountered the bug either after several hours use, but I decided to let one pattern play continuously for about 40 minutes while I did something else- and yep I noticed a couple of skipped notes. a couple times within that period, nothing as catastrophic as midi cutting out completely as someone else has experienced.

sbDigisound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2015, 11:46:13 am »
I hadn't encountered the bug either after several hours use, but I decided to let one pattern play continuously for about 40 minutes while I did something else- and yep I noticed a couple of skipped notes. a couple times within that period, nothing as catastrophic as midi cutting out completely as someone else has experienced.

Yes, this is my experience exactly. Either skipped notes or missing note off's resulting in sustained notes. Were you connected via 5 pin MIDI?

It is possible that the same issue goes unnoticed by other owners as the effect is so intermittent and can be masked by the nature of the  sound being generated (eg - staccato where audio is closed off by the synthesis engine rather than a MIDI event).

Arturia - we would appreciate a fix ASAP lplease.

sbDigisound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2015, 06:51:33 pm »
Hooray - recognition at last.
Hopefully a fix before too long - make the product what it was supposed to be.

HEllo simon,

This is now a referenced bug, Bug Ticket : 122048

I sent this problem to the appropriate developer, know that a newer version will come in some time to solve this issue.

You will be contacted at that time to download.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Feel free to get back to us in order to have news about this subject.

Yours,

Arturia Technical Team.
--
Distributors
distributors.support@arturia.com

Beatstep303

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2015, 01:22:10 pm »
I'm  not sure if anyone else has highlighted this issue,

Basically i'm using the beatstep pro seq 1 cv gate out to an sh101, it is set correctly for v-octave and v-trig in the midi control centre and works fine.

I then set sequencer 2 to Hz and S-trig to control an ms 20 and it works fine, however it completely stops the cv gate on sequencer 1.

I tried switching back and forth with hz and s-trig on either sequencer to the ms 20 and it works on both. As soon as I switch one to v-octave it cancels it out.

I then reset the machine and it did it again as soon as I switch to hz-S-trig in the MCC.

I reset it again and it then mysteriously started working with both hz and v-octave.
I'm sending the BSP midi from a TR 707 and also have an sh 32 via midi out and it also plays the pattern from sequencer 1 but after several cycles of the pattern, suddenly adds in some notes to the pattern then removes them after a few bars. (it actually sounds good but is still undesired) the random and probability are set to zero.

Several other issues like notes double triggering on input but I see they have been mentioned many times already.

Please give us any update on when you intend to resolve these issues as I am considering returning the unit while I still can.  However it has the potential to be great and I'd be prepared to stick with it if you could provide basic updates on resolving the bugs.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines