April 20, 2024, 05:49:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BeatStep Pro Feature Request Thread  (Read 80177 times)

hellcore

Re: BeatStep Pro Feature Request Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2015, 06:28:32 pm »
Things I would like to see.

MIDI assignments stored with patterns.
Program changes on pattern switch.
BSP to receive remote program changes.
Easy delete/undo of single drum parts.

ekkord

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2015, 08:57:26 am »
Would really love to see

Per step note division
step skip
step repeat..\

Really hoping to see these features implemented in a future update..

calvinsomething

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2015, 03:29:18 am »
In order of importance:

1. Optimize the sensitivity of the pads so you can reasonably play a low velocity note without carefully nudging the corner OR allow the user to adjust the sensitivity themselves.

2. After a pattern is transposed, holding a step button and pressing a pad (to record a note) should record the note that you press and not automatically be transposed (as it is now) which creates confusion and unpredictability. (I think the BSP "remembers" the original pattern as well as the fact that it has been transposed--I don't see why this is necessary, transposing should just change the pattern.)

3. Hopefully this is possible: Make pads for Drum section and Control Mode assignable to MIDI Channels, rather than just CC. (So you can use pads to play a Volca Sample for example.)

4. In addition to a "Last Step" function, also being able to assign a "First Step" which would rearrange the pattern.

5. This one is probably wishful thinking, but a selection function to adjust parameters of multiple steps would be great: Hold shift, hold a step, press another step = the step buttons pressed as well as those in between will all be selected, let go of the step buttons, turn knob 1 and pitch/velo/gate/shift will all be affected for each of the selected steps (absolute or relative option in MIDI Control Center?) let go of shift and back to normal.

msiegwarth

« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2015, 10:07:41 pm »
1) Individual MIDI channels per drum pad (Volca Sample!!)
2) Optimize or customize pad sensitivity

Uncle Screwtape

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2015, 07:40:57 am »
1) Individual MIDI channels per drum pad (Volca Sample!!)

I blame Korg for this problem, but if you are looking to just trigger the samples manually, you can set this up in Control Mode. Using MIDI Control Center, set which ever pads you want to assign the Volca channel to, to the corresponding midi channel. The note value does not matter. I had the same issue, and this is working for me. I have the top row (Pads 9-16 = MIDI 1-8), and two from the bottom (Pads 7&8 = MIDI 9&10) set up to trigger samples, and Pads 1-6 set up to trigger oft used drums. The benefit: you can trigger and roll the samples and drum hits without looping. The caveat: you can't sequence the samples using the BSP, and have to rely on the Volca for sequencing.

+1 on the suggestion none the less. I like the live feel manual triggering gives, but would like the option of sequencing from the BSP. Building samples into an entire project would be nice, as opposed to the 16 steps the Volca gives. This would truly be handy for someone like me who builds a "kit" from multiple drum machines for their specific sounds (Kick from a TR-707, but clap from an RZ-1). Add to this the Volca Sample, and creating one "percussion" sequence including multiple drum sources and samples would be awesome. Make that a +2 on this one.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:43:28 am by Uncle Screwtape »

Uncle Screwtape

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2015, 08:55:21 am »
And now for my wishlist:

- That cool new feature that was just added for changing velocity and gate for all steps would be nice for pitch, too. I'd like to transpose the pattern by semitones using the same Shift+Knob Function. Maybe Knob 1 for the current "16," and Knob 2 for the entire pattern. Or maybe Knobs 1-4 can transpose in sets of 16 (1=1-16, 2=17-32, etc), 5&6 in sets of 32, 7 for the whole pattern, and heck… knob 8 for the entire project. It would be most helpful to be able to write steps 1-16, copy to 17-32 and just transpose by a semitone or two in either direction. This would also be helpful when starting a new pattern, where all default to C3, but need to be tuned up or down to a different starting point.

- It's been mentioned, but MIDI channel assignments by project would be nice, and assignments by Pad in the drums would also be quite welcome.

- Please add the Volca sync rate of 1 pulse per 2 steps - or just allow a value to be entered, which would be much more flexible, and also enable users to "fake" tempos to other devices, like cutting the output in half to cause slave devices to run at half speed - thus increasing their "loop" time.
140 bpm on BSP = 70bpm on a synced device or one bar of 16ths on BSP = 2 bars of 8ths on the slave.

- Tempo changes assigned on a per pattern basis would be nice. Not all songs use the same tempo from beginning to end.

There are also a few bugs:

- There's that first step from the "previous" pattern issue when using PRST LINK and "wait to change." To reiterate, switching from a pattern causes the first step from the "previous" pattern to play before steps 2+ from the "next" pattern.

- I've had an issue where the note hangs when a sequencer is muted. I'm guessing a "note off" or "release" message needs to be sent with the mute?

- I've had issues with the drums double-triggering when "tap" recording while the sequence is running. This does not occur on playback, but sounds horrible during that first pass.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2015, 06:35:58 am »
Wouldn't changing the note values using the zhift+knob1 method produce the same results as using the Transpose function only via a knob?  You will still need to use two hands and still have little idea of what the values are changing to (other than your memory and mental ability to transpose).  I would be a little smoother when transposing notes over an octave from their original key.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Luchiano

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2015, 07:10:13 am »
Dreaming of...

Make Drum Sequencer into a 3rd Melodic Sequencer.
Make Control Mode into a Melodic Sequencer.
In short, the option to change any function mode on any "mode page".
So you can have 4 melodic seqs or 2 drum seqs + 2 control pages, etc.

Cheers

Zymos

« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2015, 04:04:36 pm »
The drum sequencer is a polyphonic melody sequencer, if you want to use it that way.
Limited in some ways compared to the other two, but still usable...

Luchiano

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2015, 06:20:42 pm »

I´m already using it that way... ;)

Hence the idea of interchangeable functions between blocks, and the possibilities it carries.
It would be nice to have the option.

Cheers

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2015, 04:41:46 am »
The drum sequencer is a polyphonic melody sequencer, if you want to use it that way.
Limited in some ways compared to the other two, but still usable...

I've used drum sequencers this way in the past; the trademark sound and feel of a drum sequencer playing a poly synth is a feature of early Cylob tracks (as well as other musician's 'experimental' tracks).  Lotsa fun for a while, but sitting down and editing midi drum maps on drum machines so that your beats pump out coherent melodies too is really, really painstaking.  Easier to set up and more successfully musical is running melody step sequencers into drum machines.  And it's amazing how many people have never thought of doing it (sound like a pro by suggesting it to your mates next session, just remember which note triggers the cowbell and avoid it like the plague ;) ).
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Rupertt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2015, 10:34:49 am »
just made the latest update.
How can I set the bsp so that it jumps to the next pattern after the old pattern reaches its end?
cant find it in the manual.

Zymos

« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2015, 03:23:17 pm »
Setting is in the MCC.

Rupertt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2015, 03:30:17 pm »
how is it called? is it the "Seq Link"?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2015, 03:56:40 pm »
how is it called? is it the "Seq Link"?

Do you have the latest mcc? if so in the mcc you will find in the righthand column wait to load patten.

regards

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines