April 19, 2024, 09:56:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BeatStep Pro Feature Request Thread  (Read 80159 times)

BLEO

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • The dUmmydroMe
Re: BeatStep Pro Feature Request Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2015, 05:05:47 pm »
Had a blast with my new Beatstep Pro last night. After a few hours of sequencing and tweaking, these are the thing I found I was missing:

-individual drum mutes in drum sequencer
-pattern nudge
-a way to reset all sequencers back to step one. Maybe that should be the default behaviour for the stop button. Pause pauses, stop stops and returns to the beginning. If you're jamming out and change the last step on one sequence to a different value than the other sequences, then return it to the same value, the sequences will be off if you didn't make this change on the 1. The only way I could get it back was stop all sequences, set the last step to 1, start the sequencer, then set the last step back to the same as the other sequencers. Ugh. I RTFM, but please let me know if I'm missing some better way to do this.
-and last but certainly the opposite of least, THE ENCODERS NEED HELP. They're a pain to use, especially in Control mode. Trying to perform a precise filter sweep over the length of a measure was nearly impossible. Sure, I could flick the knob as fast as I could and get from 0 to 127 almost instantly, but no one wants to do that. I'm thinking the only way to get them feeling the way people are expecting is to add an additional acceleration option that quantizes the encoder's output resolution so that one revolution will bring you from 0 to 100%. It's also been suggested that SHIFT+knob could scroll faster. What if SHIFT+ knob could be another global option? So you could choose both user acceleration and SHIFT acceleration. That would be hot. So you could set the user default to be "quantized" for filter tweaks, etc. and SHIFT+knob default to be "slow" for getting real precise. I think that would be completely doable on the software side and totally awesome on the user side. Let's do this, Arturia.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2015, 06:27:14 pm »
Hi , you can mute drum hits by in drum mode hold down drum then mute  and press the pads you want to mute

regards

Terrym

TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

BLEO

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • The dUmmydroMe
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2015, 07:39:30 pm »
You da MAN! (or WOMAN!) Thanks!

phlowless

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2015, 03:07:49 pm »
A feature i do like is transposing with an external midi controller on a specific channel. That is awesome.

In the same philosophy, it would be very useful to set a specific pattern number or at least trigger a "next pattern" command through midi (for instance, this would allow a dummy clip in ableton to trigger a specific pattern in beatstep).

Anyone still using something called ableton? Or are laptops a thing of the past? ;D

zeros

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2015, 05:50:30 pm »
1) possibility to define which pad/pads in drum sequencer has to be affected from randomness
2)  possibility for randomness probability to be set in beat/bars or steps (usefull mostly for techno and house  or similar)
3) copy/paste inside the pattern
4) +1 for microshift also on melodic sequencer
5) +1 on pattern nudge
6) separate midi control mode from projects (to have 16 different control modes without change project)....really really really a great feature that will make your hardware a MUST HAVE imo

k.rad

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2015, 10:57:34 pm »
-change pattern start point
-play sequence to end before pattern change 
-16 seperated controller maps

--> 3 must haves for an adequate work flow in a live situation, because the BSP is designed for this.

kfrm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2015, 11:11:17 pm »
regarding pattern length in regards to pattern change behaviour - look how elektron have done in octatrack - copy that :)

i'd like to be able to choose to synchronize pattern change to a bar/note value - for predictable pattern changes between sequences of different step lengths). it's actually more useful than simply "end of pattern" that will easy get your sequences time shifted

so, +1000 on ability to quantize sequence change to bar start or some note value or sequence end

+1 on seq nudge, that is shifting the sequence 16 step forward and back, and step copy-paste
+1 on ability to set pattern length/resolution (number bars/last step) individually for the 16 drum tracks, not only on the whole drum pattern, for polyrhythm, etc

also please please

- micro timing shift for melodic sequences as well
- ability to choose what steps should be affected by swing and random per sequence
- option to output CV voltage (pitch and velocity) on a step without gate present
- simple polyphonic sequencing, i.e. ability to choose extra notes triggered per step, as on Octatrack  (cv still outputs root note only)

psn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2015, 12:48:45 pm »
The Beatstep Pro definitely has the potential to become a contender in the sequencer world! Here are some missing features that I think would improve workflow and flexibility immensely:
  • Step button + OCT-/OCT+ transposes that step one octave down/up (à la TB303/x0xb0x).
  • Step button + Record copies step (à la Elektron).
  • Step button + Play pastes step (à la Elektron).
  • Step button + Stop clears step (à la Elektron).
  • When holding a Step button the note value is displayed by blinking the corresponding keyboard button. The PITCH/VELO/GATE (depending on selection) value is shown in the red LED display.
  • SEQUENCER1/2/DRUM + << / >> nudges the pattern one step to the left/right (à la Elektron).
  • SEQUENCER1/2/DRUM + Record copies pattern (à la Elektron).
  • SEQUENCER1/2/DRUM + Play pastes pattern (à la Elektron).
  • SEQUENCER1/2/DRUM + consecutively held Step buttons sets up a pattern chain (a la Elektron/TR606).
  • SHIFT + MUTE solos track.

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2015, 01:29:29 pm »
A feature i do like is transposing with an external midi controller on a specific channel. That is awesome.

Hi,
This feature is available. You can choose a transposition channel in the MCC, then when the BSP plays and you send from an external midi keyboard or via USB on this channel it will transpose your sequence(s).

nervenet

« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2015, 01:03:38 pm »
Very important :
Having the possibility to have a different midi channel per instrument on the drum sequencer so I can use a multitimbral synth or several synths for the drums.

Less important but…
Too bad that the random play on a sequence has disappeared on the BeatstepPro compared to the first Beatstep.

THX.

gorsefan

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2015, 07:38:01 pm »
i'd like to be able to choose to synchronize pattern change to a bar/note value - for predictable pattern changes between sequences of different step lengths). it's actually more useful than simply "end of pattern" that will easy get your sequences time shifted

so, +1000 on ability to quantize sequence change to bar start or some note value or sequence end

Definitely.  I can't help feeling this is somehow related to the lack of a concept like a "song/arrangement mode" (i think i'm correct in saying it doesn't have that?), and those two things combined prevent me from buying a BSP.  I feel i need at least one of the two.

Jamming is the easy bit, i find finishing tracks hard, so i'd like a sequencer that helps me arrange, even if it's super-primitive. I could live without it if i could select the next pattern at any time during the current pattern.  I don't want to have to have hands free at the critical moment, or rely on my iffy timing  ;)

zeros

« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2015, 12:41:52 pm »
patterns should change (optional, but let me set it!) at the end of previous pattern. if not it is to sell it. you say it is a performance tool... can you imagine in a performance to stay concentrate on the last step in order to change a pattern???
also, you let me select forward, backward and alternate directions and triplet, but it looses the synch, so for what is useful??
thank you

Cr05580n35

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2015, 09:03:15 pm »
+1 for wait till end of sequence to change pattern, pattern chaining or song mode.

The ability to assign some sort of parameter lock on CC's other than velocity would be amazing, if maybe a bit too much to ask for.

Novation is on Arturia's heels spec wise with the Circuit offering pattern chaining and motion sequencing, although they are different machines and the CIrcuit trades an internal sound engine for cv gate control and polyphony for drum parts, it largely has the same appeal as an intuitive performance mother brain sequencer.

All said though I'm almost considering a return on the BSP and picking up the old EM-1. :-[

Cashman

« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2015, 08:45:43 pm »
Play current pattern until end of bar etc before pattern switch will have to be available if I was going to go ahead and buy one. I was going to get one this week but I'm holding off now.

cryon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2015, 11:16:49 am »
The most important improvement for me would be induvidual midi-channels per drum pad.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines