April 20, 2024, 06:18:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to Change Global midi channel for keyboard?  (Read 8813 times)

malachy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
How to Change Global midi channel for keyboard?
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:11:15 pm »
I'd like to switch the midi channel globally when using the Keylab with e.g. a multi instrument in Kontakt where inst1 is on Channel1, the next loaded instrument is Channel2 etc.  I'd want all notes, CC's, mod wheel, pitch, aftertouch and expression to shift to use the new channel.

Is there a quick and obvious way to do this?  I can't find it in the manual or changing settings in MidiCC or on the keyboard.  The only workaround I have is to manually change the settings in Kontakt.  I'm using Bitwig DAW if it makes a difference.

keston

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: How to Change Global midi channel for keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:34:04 pm »
I'm also looking for a way to do this quickly. Currently the only way I have sound requires five steps. This is makes the KeyLab series severely flawed for live use. Here's the steps necessary to change the MIDI channel.

1. Press the Edit button
2. Press the Global button
3. Scroll the Param knob until it reads "Part1 Ch"
4. Scroll the Value knob to the desired channel
5. Press down on the Value knob

This poster seemed to find a solution back in 2013, but it appears that the UI in MCC doesn't match up to the steps anymore:
http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=14127.msg121767#msg121767

I have also tried this solution, but the steps are just as long:
http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=83130.0

If anyone has a technique where Snaps can be setup for hardware on different MIDI channels, please let us know!

Thanks!

keston

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 08:34:54 pm »
UPDATE: I have since learned to store separate global MIDI channels with each "Keyboard Memory", however I still cannot recall them with the Snaps or Switches. Steps are now one less:

1. Press Edit
2. Press Recall
3. Turn Value knob to choose memory #
4. Press down on Value knob

malachy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:26:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I've tried that before with basic param change but that only note data changes to Ch2.  However aftertouch, pitch bend and the CC rotary and slide controllers seem to stick with Ch1 which makes things much worse!  You can edit the pitch bend channel and aftertouch in Global params but I haven't yet seen how to do it for the other controls. 

I'll try your method to save everything per slot and see if that works, fingers crossed.  A dedicated midi channel button would be the obvious solution! 

malachy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 06:31:11 pm »
PS: If you are on Windows and using a DAW to route your midi then this might help: http://www.midikarval.net/FreeVst.html

I'm looking for similar for Mac

malachy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:16:10 pm »
And this works for Bitwig and Kontakt which was my problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Q5qPoIxno

The other alternative is to have a separate Kontakt container per instrument on each channel.

keston

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 11:14:32 pm »
I need it to have it happen without a computer attached. BTW: I received word from Victor in technical support that there's a bug preventing the recall of Keyboard Memories on the switches:

There is indeed a bug in the firmware that makes it not possible to store the recalling of a keyboard memory on a particular button...
I often push the development team for this as it is a big inconvenience as you mention, yet I do not know when this will be fixed. I will have a word about this now to push it further! Meanwhile the only workaround is to set it by hand on the keyboard.. Sorry about the inconvenience.

At least we know it's a bug, but among all the bugs the KeyLab harbours it would be better to also know that it is going to be resolved...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines