April 19, 2024, 09:44:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Is there a way to adjust the CV Gate voltage?  (Read 15112 times)

Vertflyer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Is there a way to adjust the CV Gate voltage?
« on: July 09, 2015, 11:08:03 pm »
My SEM Pro does not handle gate voltages that are too high very well. I know this from using other CV gear with my SEM. It likes something in the 4-5V range. The Beatstep Pro seems to be putting out over 12V. The SEM envelopes stop working as intended when the gate voltage is too high. Is there, or will there ever be a way to adjust the Beatstep Pro's gate voltage?

Vertflyer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Is there a way to adjust the CV Gate voltage?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 12:57:41 am »
I rigged together a simple voltage dividing cable. So this is not a concern anymore.

toryjames

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 04:03:22 am »
Same issue here, when connected through cv/gate my Oberheim SEM was triggering poorly (out of time with the sequence). It turned out the gate voltage was too strong and when I ran the gate cable through a passive attenuator (a potentiometer) and "turned it down" to about 70% it began triggering correctly (in time). At full strength, the BSP gate causes the SEM to overload, only triggering when the key is released, making any programmed sequence to sound out-of-time. It would be nice if the BSP software allowed the maximum gate voltage to be adjusted between 5-10 volts. Otherwise I am extrememly happy with everything about my new Beatstep Pro (Shhhh, I would've paid more for this little box).

Dav1d

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 03:30:15 pm »
There is a technote related to the calibration of the CV Pitch.
==> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-1e9zXr5JIlQ29DdklnaXNJdGM

I will add it on the main topic opened by Benjamin
 :)

toryjames

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 01:12:00 am »
Thank you for the response. Is there a way to set the voltage level of the gate output?

Biosynth

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 04:19:58 pm »

same problem here with my kenton cv/gate kit on my korg 800dv (vtrig hz/volt, ok in MCC): gates are too high (10v? instead of 5v)
Please make an update with voltage gate settings. thank you  :-*

RichMakeGame

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:20:38 am »
Adjusting the gate voltage would be really useful.  My MS-20 handles the 12v okay but my Vermona Kick Lancet wants no more than 10v.  It's double triggering the kick on gate in and triggering out of sync on the audio-trigger.  I can attenuate the audio-trigger level on the kick module but I'd like to use the gate input.  I get more control out of the unit via voltages than midi, so it would be really lovely to not have to make an attenuation cable.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

ArguZ

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 10:01:24 am »
Funny, i am on the other side.
I need 10V for most of my Shizzle in the TTSH arp.
The BSP clock only outputs weak sauce 3,8V , the triggers are also to low.
So i need attenuators, not resistors to make it work.
But hey, welcome to the analog world :)

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 07:20:45 am »
I got a mini-jack headphone volume lead given to me by a mate and am using it for the kick drum gate with some success.  It's fixed the triggering but could be a little more sensitive.  I also got a mini-jack headphone splitter to split the velocity cv out on seq1 to modulate the filter cutout levels on the MS-20.  The splitter also purports to merge signals also...
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Old_School

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 04:12:14 pm »
Adjusting the gate voltage would be really useful.  My MS-20 handles the 12v okay but my Vermona Kick Lancet wants no more than 10v.  It's double triggering the kick on gate in and triggering out of sync on the audio-trigger.  I can attenuate the audio-trigger level on the kick module but I'd like to use the gate input.  I get more control out of the unit via voltages than midi, so it would be really lovely to not have to make an attenuation cable.

How much does the cable attenuate by? Up to 50%?

Biosynth

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 04:19:38 pm »

same problem here with my kenton cv/gate kit on my korg 800dv (vtrig hz/volt, ok in MCC): gates are too high (10v? instead of 5v)
Please make an update with voltage gate settings. thank you  :-*

for Arturia programmers: my problem came from gate/hz/volt issue (that you know) , not gate voltage.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:58:56 am by Biosynth »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 03:15:00 am »

How much does the cable attenuate by? Up to 50%?

I ended up getting a headphone volume control for the patchlead, so never messed with the attenuator on the Kick Lancet though I should give it a go as the volume control slider is only going to about half-way before I reach max voltage.  It's doing well on the audio trigger for the Kick and I'm not getting odd behaviour any more (though I need to work out what I'm doing wrong with changing trigger modes on the Kick, but that is Vermona's problem, not Arturia's).

I'm still considering making an attenuation cable with a cv input on it so I can run a velocity track on one of the note sequencers to control the Kick, only because percussion sounds all at the same velocity sounds as sterile as a hospital.  Shouldn't be hard, I'm guessing that there will be someone who has already done so and put the circuit diagram online somewhere.  Might try merging the gate and velocity using that headphone breakout.  It's working great as a signal splitter right now.

RSP

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 04:06:05 am »
The measurements I'm getting are around 5v, I'll have to check again with an analog meter.

toryjames

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 11:02:08 pm »
The BSP clock out is too strong going into the Korg SQ-1 clock in, causing the SQ-1 to occasionally skip steps. I used an attenuator cable rolled back to about 20% of full range to get a consistent clock sync. It seems Arturia has adjusted the Keystep to avoid this problem, offering selectable output voltages for the gate (5V or 12V).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:00:35 am by toryjames »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines