March 29, 2024, 11:22:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Drum pad/track question. Different midi channels per pad?  (Read 18343 times)

Vertflyer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Drum pad/track question. Different midi channels per pad?
« on: July 07, 2015, 04:45:51 am »
Can each drum pad/track be assigned a different midi channel?

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
Re: Drum pad/track question. Different midi channels per pad?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 04:09:53 pm »
Hi Vertflyer,
In the Drum sequencer you can choose only one MIDI channel for all the Pads (each Pad corresponding to one selectable MIDI note) but in Control Mode you can assign through the MCC the MIDI channel you want for each Pad. You can have a  look at the manual (http://downloads.arturia.com/products/beatstep-pro/manual/BeatStepPro_Manual_1_0_0_EN.pdf) on page 45 and in section 12.7 page 73 for detailled informations.
Thanks for your interest

Steinberger

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 10:34:47 pm »
They need to add this ability. There are many who use things like Electribes as drum machines. Each instrument is on a different part and thus sits on a different MIDI channel.

cryon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 10:09:18 am »
They need to add this ability. There are many who use things like Electribes as drum machines. Each instrument is on a different part and thus sits on a different MIDI channel.

Agreed! Not to mention the Volca Sample which have each sample on a different midi channel!

jahasw

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 01:26:56 pm »
+1

Roland SH-32 assigns a whole range of octaves for different percussions on one channel, so if i set it to same MIDI channel as other drum modules it will trigger all kinds of percussive sounds at the same time. I need to set it to different channel than other modules in my setup.

workaround would be to use SH-32 rhythm arpeggios from control mode on it's own channel, but then there is a sync problem with quantized playback start:
http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=85048.0

..and Volca Sample here too. running out of channels! Haven't got clock signal to sync-in on Volca Sample to work.

cryon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 01:33:15 pm »
..and Volca Sample here too. running out of channels! Haven't got clock signal to sync-in on Volca Sample to work.

Same here, cannot sync any of the volcas to the BSP via clock out to sync in, seems like they're incompatible.

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:09:50 pm »
Hi,
For the Volcas Korg use their own clock sync which is not a standard. It probably be a future new feature. However you can try to set the clock in 1 step and change your drums' time division.
About the midi channel per pad on drums we will discuss to implement this feature as they are many demands.

cryon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 05:31:50 pm »
Hi,
For the Volcas Korg use their own clock sync which is not a standard. It probably be a future new feature. However you can try to set the clock in 1 step and change your drums' time division.
About the midi channel per pad on drums we will discuss to implement this feature as they are many demands.

Bringing down the time division to 1/8 made it better, but the tempo is still wobbly and the volca sometimes skips a few notes (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKJnhjSHKrs). Hope you will support Korg's sync specs in the future! For now I will sync it via Midi, works flawlessly. And thanks for reading and responding!  ;)

Steinberger

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 03:15:31 am »

Thanks for the consideration! I think a lot of people might even be relieved with just the bottom 8 pads dong this "when pad.number, send note.myNote on channel.myChannel" logic if it helps you guys and gals with CPU demands. The top 8 could be used to enable/disable the corresponding bottom 8.

Regardless, like you see here, some of us have bought a BSP anyway knowing this but what you don't see are the ones who would like to buy one and aren't because of this limitation.

Please keep us updated on it! Me want!

ambeson

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 01:05:17 pm »
Hi all,

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, but I have a similar question.

I've been trying to sequence my Vermona DRM1 (basic edition, no trigger inputs) with the BSP for a few hours, and after much looking through the manual and forums. So far, I've been able to set each of the bottom row of pads to a drum part on the Vermona, via the MIDI control centre. So far so good. However, the DRM1 is only sent MIDI when the BSP is in control mode. When in Drum Mode, no such joy. I've set the MIDI channel of the Drum Sequencer to #1, which is what the DRM1 is set to, so it should all work as far as I can see. Clearly I'm missing/overlooking something, but I'm at a loss as to what it is. Since I bought the BSP primarily to sequence the DRM, it's a bit frustrating!

Again, apologies for sort of hijacking the thread but if anyone can offer some help with this I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks,
Rich

No Brain

• Beta-testers
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 04:10:19 pm »
Same for me Dude, can't sequence the drum of my Electribe2 :(
Need a upgrade please!

peteone43

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 07:55:05 am »
Can each drum pad/track be assigned a different midi channel?

First of all thank you Arturia for this mindblowing product. The midi channel per pad feature would be fantastic, hope this can be done with firmware update.

Boytec

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 09:27:46 pm »
Yes pleease....Arturia..This is badly needed. I bought the BSP to sequence my Voca sample and would also like to sync clock to my other volcas.

an3

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 11:46:40 am »
or a simple solution would be to have a setting in navigator: drum channel: ALL

PeterWolf

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 09:42:31 am »
an other request in the same way :
- the possibility to set midi chanel and midi notes per pad AND per sequence or per project.

explanation : I'm using the MicroX synth which has many drum banks but on one bank, the sounds I need are on some notes (let say kick on C3 and snare on C4) and on an other bank, it is the D3 et E4 which I need. but I want to have the kick always on the same pad of course...

Setting different midi notes on each pad AND for each project would be really great for a full Live session.

Regard

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines