April 25, 2024, 08:32:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Recall 1-16 with midi map mode in Ableton Live  (Read 6033 times)

kriswilliams

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Recall 1-16 with midi map mode in Ableton Live
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:21:15 pm »
Hi,

Ideally I'd like to map different recall presets to different functions within Live, but I noticed that Live doesn't recognise the different recall presets -knob1 affects say cutoff even when preset 2 is recalled.

It seems in midi control center that it would like me to select knob 1 for example, then cc number - portamento or some generic kind of function, but how would I setup different presets to be midi mappable within Live?

Preset 1 pads affect loopers, knobs affect sends

preset 2 is setup to play a synth part

etc

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
Re: Recall 1-16 with midi map mode in Ableton Live
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:43:23 pm »
Only BeatStep "knows" that it's using a different memory.

And different memories are used exactly to use different setups i.e. different CC numbers on knobs as if you had 16x16 (256) knobs. Same for Pads :)

Problem is, there's really only 128 available CC's in the MIDI spec and you can't (shouldn't) use all of them, because some have special uses (like CC 00 is used for Bank Selector, CC 01 is for Mod Wheel, CC 02 is Breath, etc), so in truth you can use up to 8 memories just for the "CC extending" purpose.

So, to directly answer your question, the way you'll be able to have a set of 16 knobs for purpose A and another set (memory) for another purpose is to set each knob to a different CC.

As an example, you should set Knob 1 to 16 in Memory 1 to CC 01 through CC 17 (skipping CC 07 that's usually used for Volume, so set the big knob to CC 07).
Then, for Memory 2, set Knob 1 to 16 with CC 18 through CC 33, and so on for the other Memories.

Hope this is helpful :)

PS: Of course, if you use MIDI Channels, then you can really go beyond the 128 CC limitation, getting 16x128 (aprox 2048) CC possibilities.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:48:11 pm by Koshdukai »

kriswilliams

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 11:57:49 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply - That explains it very clearly.

Ihave one issue I followed the instructions, I synced the beatstep I created a new named template, I went to memory 1 and chose the cc numbers as you said, then clicked on store to store it to memory 1

then i clicked memory 2 went from 18-33 and clicked store BUT now this overwrote memory 1, now memory 1 and 2 both have 18-33

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 12:08:00 am »
Well, I just did an experiment where I selected Memory 2, clicked "Recall From" then changed the big knob's MIDI Channel to 2 (instead of Global) then clicked "Store To" and tried in BeatStep to recall pad 1 (aka memory 1) twisted the big knob and got CC 07 from Channel 1 as expected, then recalled pad 2 (memory 2) twisted the big knob again and got CC 07 from MIDI Channel 02, so it's working.

Maybe you forgot to select Memory 2 in MCC before doing the "Store To" ?

kriswilliams

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 12:14:10 am »
Do I need to change the midi channels too?

Ive done this a couple of times restarted the computer and its still not working as expected.

I really appreciate your help  ;D

Maybe I should clarify what im doing

I click memory 1 on the left - select the knobs and assign controls then click store

then i click on memory 2 select the knobs and assign them different cc numbers and click store

Would it make a difference to set the midi channel to global?
Ive followed the manual for storing a preset as well and i cant see where im going wrong
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:21:45 am by kriswilliams »

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:23:53 am »
No, I just changed 1 knob MIDI channel because it was an easier test for me, since I already have my BeatStep set as I want, so I didn't want to mess it up too much ;)

Well, if that's what you did, it should work.

hmmm... the only think I can think of for you to try is:
1) make sure you're using the latest version of MCC
2) Don't use SYNC, just select the Memory you want and do a "Recall From"
3) do your changes and with the memory still selected, do the "Store To"

Basically, the only thing different from what you did is not using Sync and do a "Recall From" Memory 2 before changing it... although what you did should've worked fine.

If the above doesn't work, I guess you should contact support :/

kriswilliams

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 12:34:13 am »
When I click recall it creates a new tewmplate - but dont i need 16 presets in 1 template?

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 12:38:27 am »
From what I understand, 1 Template is 1 Memory, not a set of 16 Memories.

kriswilliams

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 12:43:58 am »
OK so i have 2 templates with different settings but then why are there 16 memories if they all end up the same?

And surely i can only be using one template in live?

I would have thought there should be 16 memories within one template - and thats certainly how it looks to be setup - but its just not working for me in reality
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:45:49 am by kriswilliams »

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 11:54:16 am »
As I said, a Template file is 1 memory saved to your computer disk that you can send to any of the 16 BeatStep memories.

So:
1) you can get (Recall From) a memory into a template file.
and
2) you can send (Store To) any template file into a BeatStep memory.

Add to this the fact that you can work with a temporary template (not saved yet to your computer disk, the one you see being edited in MCC).

Due to this, you can either recall a memory, edit it (as a temporary template), send it to a specific memory and/or saved it to a template file to keep it.

So, basically, you can have an infinite number of (1 memory) configurations as Template files on your computer disk and choose 16 of those to be sent (1 at a time) and kept by the BeatStep.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:58:58 am by Koshdukai »

allnight

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 11:14:15 pm »
Check out this link,

http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=84453.0

For the encoders the method is the same, select control Mode, as Koshdukai mentioned you may want to specify a midi channel so Beatstep is not conflicting with another controller.
I believe the trick is Save- to make a change.
Then Recall- to check the change or see what is in another Memory #.

Note, seems the  Midi Control Center only shows what is stored in your Beatstep memory location when you Recall a memory #.

kriswilliams

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 07:57:45 pm »
My head was on backwards - Thanks for hving the patience to get this sorted with me.

It is logical but my logic was a little different.

I get it now :-)

I created 2 different templates then made template 1 > pressed STORE to memory 1
template 2 > STORE to memory 2

Im gonna search the forum for the knob adjustments - at the mo you have to turn the knob a lot to move it or if i do it quickly it jumps too far.
Which knob option do i choose (currently on fast) , so say 270º turns from min to max?

Thanks

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 09:02:30 pm »
Which knob option do i choose (currently on fast) , so say 270º turns from min to max?
I guess the best answer ends up being: try it!
 ...only you know what feels best for you and there's not that many options to try anyway :)

kriswilliams

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 09:40:41 pm »
I tried all 3 what i dont get is how in all three modes it only turns e.g a hipass filter a quarter of its potential yet if i move the knob quickly it shoots up to 20khz - just feels weird in all 3 modes, slow medium and fast -

Is there another setting Im missing?

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 09:50:50 pm »
I tried all 3 what i dont get is how in all three modes it only turns e.g a hipass filter a quarter of its potential yet if i move the knob quickly it shoots up to 20khz - just feels weird in all 3 modes, slow medium and fast -

Is there another setting Im missing?
You're choosing the acceleration type (curve), so the speed at which you rotate the knob dictates where the value it'll end up, depending on the acceleration curve selected.

As far as I know, there's no linear (rotation speed agnostic) scale selector, if that's what you're looking for.

Edit: well, there's the "Slow (Off)" setting that turns acceleration off, but that doesn't seem to help in your case, right?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:05:56 am by Koshdukai »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines