March 28, 2024, 06:55:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Why is the spark 2 preview and loading in the library so slow  (Read 2345 times)

p140982

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Is this one of the bugs that's gonna be fixed?

I recently got sparkle out from hiding to have a play but remembered how painful it was to use

mixalis

Re: Why is the spark 2 preview and loading in the library so slow
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:20:11 pm »
Hi there...

I dont think that spark is that slow....      You need an ssd .. good amount of ram and a good audio card with low latency when working with plugins....

p140982

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 10:25:58 pm »
I have a fine sound card and ram

It auditions and loads my files on disk normally.

Also this is in standalone mode aswell as in a daw

Rfaith

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 11:49:34 am »
I use an Asus Xx75A (i3-3110M @ 2.4Ghz) with standard RAM and the HDD is a Hitachi Travelstar 1TB - in other words a pretty ordinary low-endish laptop.

Auditioning individual sounds seems okay to me, there's a small loading delay (an intake of breath at most) before the sound plays. It isn't instant like my hardware drum machines (R-70, RX-15, and ancient CR-2000!) but I don't have a problem with it.

Arturia could speed it up by caching samples for whatever is in the on-screen list (perhaps as a background process) but that would only alleviate things if you were working through the list. If you were auditioning samples all over the place it'd become a liability. You'd have to filter the list to get the stuff you want in one place, then caching would work better (e.g. filtering to have only rock snares in the list).

I don't use my music laptop for anything else (except the odd online visit such as I'm doing now) so it isn't weighed down by other software, and I keep it quick by such things as regularly cleaning unused stuff from the system registry (there are programs to automate this, e.g. RegVac). Even so, there's just a tiny hesitation before something plays. Obviously if the sample is large (e.g. crash cymbal, or a vocal or synth effect as opposed to a rimshot) then it takes longer to load.

Edit: They're also layered samples, so I would guess that if they make a lot of use of velocity effects some might load more slowly than others because of the multisampling.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:48:46 pm by Rfaith »

LaserDolphin

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • ?????
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:22:36 pm »
Hi there...

I dont think that spark is that slow....      You need an ssd .. good amount of ram and a good audio card with low latency when working with plugins....

No: Its not the HDD who is slow, it is SPARK. In FL i have a instant sample preview by click...it is mentioned in the SPARK Improvement Thread
- http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=7288.0

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines