March 29, 2024, 02:51:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: system freezes after inactivity period when using miniv standalone/asio4all?  (Read 4452 times)

urban fox

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
hi all, I own several arturia retro synths. I often run these on a sony vaio laptop running windows 7 64 bit. when running miniv in standalone mode, using asio4all low latency driver with latency about 10ms, it runs fine. but if I leave it all idle for say twenty minutes, the system freezes and I have to do a hard reboot to regain control. (only pressing and holding the main power button works, mouse and keys inactive)

I hunted through the asi4all website for updates and looked to see if there was a solution.

all software is up to date. I use Norton internet security, which is also up to date.

current asio4all version is 2.12 this had same problem on my setup
some bluescreen reports related to version 2.11, apparently fixed in 2.12 a suggested work around was to use version 2.10

I haven't yet got to the bottom of this subject but it seemed reasonable to try the 2.10 driver, which is available through the history link at the top
of the asio4all webpage.

so far... seems more stable, at least for my setup.

used with caution, as not all systems are the same, this solution may help any users with similar problems until asio4all release a fixed version.

I hope my experience is of some help, the asio4all driver is great for laptops or any system where the soundcard does not come with an asio driver
its all about getting low latency, so minimising any delay between pressing a key on your midi controller and hearing a sound start.

thanks for watching, enjoy your music making!

urban fox

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
update: version 2.10 had same problem, so tried sound driver called generic low latency driver-didn't crash the laptop but lost sound after a while, so now avoiding asio entirely but using windows audio with 10ms latency. works but I am uncertain that I wont get problems with this yet! my laptop should be ok, based on intel core 2 dual core 2ghz with 4gb ram running windows 7 64 bit. I will add more to this thread as my experience develops.

I think I may be getting problems with system overload, crashes seem to follow heavy disk usage by
the likes of the latest Norton internet security package. unfortunately when the mouse and keyboard aren't used for a while, Norton thinks the system is idle! then it runs virus scans, deletes temporary files, even de fragments the hard drive... all this clogs up system resources needed by my music software to keep the sound drivers happy. I have where possible, disabled some of these features, reducing load, but its early days yet and I am not happy ive fixed things yet... more later  :)

about time I added another comment. basically looks like a system overload problem causing sensitive sound streaming software to hang. not happy with any of my "solutions" to date. doesn't happen with my main computer, just my laptop. so basically put it down to cheap preinstalled on motherboard sound card, causing asio4all and similar software to be sensitive to overload situations. fortunately most users will have invested in decent soundcards with native asio drivers, and will enjoy reliable low latency sound. definitely not an arturia problem.

I hope this helps anyone setting up and hoping to use arturia products when choosing hardware from the wide range available.

thanks for reading. :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:55:38 pm by urban fox »

urban fox

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
update to the update...

upgraded to windows 10 home, 64 bit, nothing else changed...

did a more lengthy test, windows 10 more robust than windows 7. over 40 minutes left standalone miniv running but inactive. the system went through a couple of periods of heavy disk activity, presumably anti virus scans etc. miniv performance degraded gracefully while the system was busy elsewhere, and full performance returned once the system was no longer busy. no freezes. so... happy bunny. enjoy your music making, brothers and sisters| :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines