March 29, 2024, 12:10:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How To Use Wheel To Control Vibrato Amount?  (Read 6372 times)

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
How To Use Wheel To Control Vibrato Amount?
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:01:24 am »
Is there a way to use the Mod Wheel to control the amount of sub oscillator amount?

This should be the easiest thing in the world but I can't figure it out.

TIA

Amalgamoth

Re: How To Use Wheel To Control Vibrato Amount?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:47:36 am »
Have you tried it by usIng the Midi Learn function? Select it, then highlight the SOA, then move the mod wheel. Don't forget to finally de-activate the Midi Learn. Okay?

LBH

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 05:04:45 pm »

Remember to activate.  Click on the text >Sub Osc Wheel< under the wheel knob. It's on when the text  is green.

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 07:47:56 pm »
@amalgamoth: Thanks. MIDI Learn seems to work, -however-, it's kinda backwards... ie. when the wheel is at max, the vibrato is off and when it's at 0, the vib is at max. I assume this is because of the way the CS-80 controls work. Is there a way to REVERSE this?

@LBH: Thanks. I see the 'green' text under the wheel. But I don't understand what it actually -does-. It seems only linked to the Ring Mod. How does this control -what- the wheel is assigned to?

LBH

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 09:46:21 pm »
@LBH: Thanks. I see the 'green' text under the wheel. But I don't understand what it actually -does-. It seems only linked to the Ring Mod. How does this control -what- the wheel is assigned to?

It's not related to the "ring modulation".
It affect the same settings you have set in "sub osc aftertouch" section.
The speed set in the "sub osc"  section affect the "sub osc aftertouch". And if you for instance also set a speed value in the "sub osc aftertouch" section, then you also can accelerate speed when you use  the mod wheel.
Test it out and listen to it.

I agree that using the " modulation select"  section gives more and different options, and in that context it does'nt matter if the text is green for the wheel. Then you only need the informations Amalgamoth gave you if the knob don't respond to your mod wheel or alike by default like mine does.

EDIT: BTW: I hope Amalgamoth don't mind. The amount knobs in the "modulation select" section can be set to negative and positive values. If you turn the knobs left or right give different result. Twelve o'clock position is neutral.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:54:46 pm by LBH »

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 04:59:40 am »
When I try to use the Learn function, the two vertical sliders for positive and negative limits are frozen (cannot be moved). I assume these would allow me to reverse the behaviour of the wheel? How do I get them to move?

Thanks again.

LBH

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 02:34:35 pm »
When I try to use the Learn function, the two vertical sliders for positive and negative limits are frozen (cannot be moved). I assume these would allow me to reverse the behaviour of the wheel? How do I get them to move?

Thanks again.

I'm not talking about the min/ max sliders in midi learn.
I'm talking about the knobs on CS80.

Please refer to the manual section "4.7 THE MODULATION MATRIX"
This is a paragraf from the manual:
--- "Between the LCD screens is a knob (AMOUNT). It allows you to set the level of modulation by applying positive values (by turning to the right) or negative values (by turning to the left)."---

So - Let's say you in the "modulation matrix" have set the wheel as the "source" to control LP 1 cut as the "destination", then your wheel will control the low cut filter of the first Oscilator. If the wheel will affect the filter in a negative or positive direction is determined by the cs80 "amount" knob between the "source" and the "destination".

The vertical midi learn sliders you talk about set the range of the controller. And you can change polarity for the controller knob and thereby for the knob it's assigned to by setting the "min" higher than the "max",  - you will see the opposite direction on the knob/ slider you control on cs80. The knob/ slider etc. will move opposite of what you do on your controller.
Assigning this to the wheel knob will only reverse the wheels polarity. How things behave according to your wheel settings is in our example set in the "modulation matrix" as explained above. It's the "amount" knob in the" modulation matrix" that determines if the wheel affect the" destination" positive or negative - the wheel setting do not determine this.

The vertical sliders "min" and "max" you see in the midi learn window when you assign is moved using your mouse. Click and hold down when moving the slider.
I don't know why they are frozen for you. Mine are not frozen. If it's frozen then it's because those parameters are'nt assignable for the current knob or what it is you assign to. Can't recall any where it's frozen. For the wheel or  the mentioned "amount"  knobs they are not frozen.
And about the result of this reverse function -  if you use it -  please read above.

Take some time to read the manual and to explore and test the synth.

If you don't have the manuals, then you can find them here:
http://www.arturia.com/support/downloads&manuals

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines