April 26, 2024, 08:56:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: LAYERS OF KNOB CONTROL IN CONTROL MODE, 16 PRESETS ?  (Read 18452 times)

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: LAYERS OF KNOB CONTROL IN CONTROL MODE, 16 PRESETS ?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 10:39:14 pm »
My experience with the knobs is that they can be jumpy.  This can make sequencing a bit frustrating at times.  The knobs have a soft "click" as you turn them so that, in theory, you can adjust the note values by one semitone at a time.  However, this movement is not 100% reliable - sometimes I rotate the knob by one "click" and the note jumps by 2 or 3 semitones.  I've found that I have to watch my MIDI data in Logic to be sure I'm dialing in what I intended, unless I'm merely looking for a happy accident.

I just received my Beatstep. Great construction quality, pads, knobs, everything.

I have just used it to step sequence some plugins and it works great (as advertised)

BUT, as jsmirk said, knob movement is not 100% reliable when adjusting note values.
At first I thought that there was a scale selected, but no, it was skipping some semitones in chromatic scale.
If I selected major scale it could skip 2 scale notes AND MORE !

Sometimes it even played two notes when changing notes.

What I noticed is that to not skip notes I had to be very careful when rotating the knob.
You have to make the click turn very softly.

I haven't updated the firmware yet.

I assigned knob 1 to a filter and I had to turn the knob at least 3 times to get the full effect.
That doesn't seem too good if I want to do a smooth filter sweep.

Ok, I just checked knob 1 in ableton live and I had to turn at least 3 times to pickup the
control and then change the parameter. That doesn't feel normal.

I haven't detected any jumping of parameters in ableton
just the skipping of notes in sequencer mode.

UPDATE: The Beatstep gets out of sync in Ableton when I begin to change from 1/16 to 1/4 or 1/8.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:17:02 am by djmental »

Santoman

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2015, 07:10:37 am »
Thank you for your info.

I don't get this "jumping" issue with the knobs.

I have Live parameters in "pickup" mode
so the knobs don't do anything until they pick the parameter at its current value
and in the case of the LaunchKEY they do it smoothly and on 1 to 1 ratio so the
parameter rotation mimics exactly the knob rotation.

You're welcome)

Jumping is not a big problem if you have a good inspiration and nerves made of steel, but the main thing I like about acceleration of Beatstep is that with one fast turn knob parameter goes from 0 to 127 and it is very useful.

Pickup mode is a good choice, though you need to adjust knobs at the every time you launch your set (but it's ok for pro), BUT! when you're gonna be adjusting Beatstep encoders for Live knobs mention the way you turn them, cuz for my bad I had an experience of setting Mode parameter to Relative (lin. signed Bit 2) or even (lin. BinOffset) after turning it clockwise (that made me stumbled for the first time), AND if you turn it counterclockwise you'll set Mode parameter to Relative(signed Bit) that is just right to use (don't forget to set Relative# paramter in Midi Control Center).

I have this little box for about 1 week and now, after adjusting all the settings I'm really inspired and will gladly use it for my Live DJ project synchronizing it with Live instruments in sequencer mode and especially for my band where I do all the electrosound with synths and vocals, adjusting all the effects I wanna use (such as reverb, delay, etc.) where it goes nice along with Akai MPK25 and its absolute encoders (maybe I will change it for Minilab sometime cuz of knobs, really).

I wish you good luck in any of your projects and that's really gr8 that I was helpful in this case, thank you for attention)

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2015, 12:54:58 pm »
Jumping is not a big problem if you have a good inspiration and nerves made of steel, but the main thing I like about acceleration of Beatstep is that with one fast turn knob parameter goes from 0 to 127 and it is very useful.

I'm experimenting the "jumping" issue with the knobs when using them to modify devices parameters.
Its very annoying.

As I said, I don't have this issue with the knobs on my LaunchKEY so it is not true as Stuart says that "every controller does that".
I already updated the firmware. I think that fast acceleration mode has something to do with it.

Anyway, I will take your advice and begin experimenting with Live's midi setup and Beatstep MMC to see which works best.

Thanks again.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2015, 01:15:46 pm »
...so it is not true as Stuart says that "every controller does that".

Don't misquote me. When first touching the encoders when you first open up a software instrument, the knob will jump. This is because you have moved it since operating it last, or the position of your encoder compared to the software, is different. This is inherent with every midi controller and software devices, and frankly obvious, no? :) Once you have control over a certain parameter, it shouldn't then jump around.

Close the software then open up a different instrument, do a move to an encoder. If your encoders has changed position, they will jump.

Basically, the software needs to catch up with the hardware controlling it, hence giving the impression that it's jumps.

This is what I was referring to.

If you're unit doesn't behave as expected, return it. If you're not happy with it, return it.

Cheers, Stuart 

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 02:10:49 pm »
...so it is not true as Stuart says that "every controller does that".

Don't misquote me. When first touching the encoders when you first open up a software instrument, the knob will jump. This is because you have moved it since operating it last, or the position of your encoder compared to the software, is different. This is inherent with every midi controller and software devices, and frankly obvious, no? :) Once you have control over a certain parameter, it shouldn't then jump around.

Close the software then open up a different instrument, do a move to an encoder. If your encoders has changed position, they will jump.

Basically, the software needs to catch up with the hardware controlling it, hence giving the impression that it's jumps.

This is what I was referring to.

If you're unit doesn't behave as expected, return it. If you're not happy with it, return it.

Cheers, Stuart 

There is no "giving the impression that it jumps", it is jumping and I can hear the abrupt change in parameter values.
And it is not only when "first touching the encoders". It occurs whenever I change from knobs presets.
As I said, I have not experienced that behavior with my LaunchKEYs knobs.
Of course, I will return it if Im not completely satisfied with it. But I will give it a chance and experiment with all
options first. It is my first Arturia product.

BTW, If youre not happy with what customers write don't erase their threads. ;)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:13:42 pm by djmental »

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 02:30:19 pm »
I'm not in this, or any forum to throw mud around, I have far better things to do. I was trying to lend a hand.

I think that fundamentally you don't understand what i'm saying.
I'm describing the fundamental limitations of most (I can't say that i've tried them all) Midi controllers. Specifically when controlling computer instruments.

Mess around with circular and linear knob control, map specific controls and CC values via the MCC, try changing the knob speed, don't always rely on the 'Learn' function. Many things to try to get it working.

BTW, If youre not happy with what customers write don't erase their threads

I'm a user like you, I do not work for Arturia nor do I moderate the forum or have any control over what is printed here. I am a Spark moderator, nothing else.

Cheers, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 04:39:30 pm »
I'm not in this, or any forum to throw mud around, I have far better things to do. I was trying to lend a hand.

BTW, If youre not happy with what customers write don't erase their threads

I'm a user like you, I do not work for Arturia nor do I moderate the forum or have any control over what is printed here. I am a Spark moderator, nothing else.

Cheers, Stuart

If youre implying Im throwing mud around just check the other posts by other people.
Theyre saying the same thing but maybe not so vocal as I.

Apparently you don't find anything wrong with the Beatstep. And that I find very surprising.

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 04:06:22 am »
Just to set the record straight I did a comparison between the knobs on the Beatstep and the knobs on the LaunchKey.

Stuart was right. The knobs on the LaunchKEY did jump the values when changing to other presets.
I never noticed that before. In fact I think the jumping on the BeatStep is less noticeable, which could be due
to the knobs requiring many turns to change values.

Build quality of the Beatstep is far better than the LaunchKEY knobs and pads in every aspect.
Although I should say that the LaunchKey pads and knobs do the job very well.

I have been able to assign successfully knobs and pads in the Beatstep to control Live.

For now, my main issue with the Beatstep is the knobs response. I have updated the firmware and put it on fast but
they still don't respond as a normal knob, meaning 1 to 1 ratio. When I turn form 9 to 3, I want an analogous
movement in the virtual knob. The Launchkey does that, even the only knob on my M Audio Keystation does that.

I ll see if I use the Beatstep to control knobs that don't need a fast response and use the Launchkey knobs to control the others.

Im quite happy with the sequencer. But it is unacceptable that the sequencer gets out of sync when changing steps 1/4, 1/8/ 1/16, 1/32.

Will Arturia fix this ?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:12:02 pm by djmental »

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2015, 05:14:44 pm »
Just to set the record straight I did a comparison between the knobs on the Beatstep and the knobs on the LaunchKey.

Stuart was right. The knobs on the LaunchKEY did jump the values when changing to other presets.
I never noticed that before. In fact I think the jumping on the BeatStep is less noticeable, which could be due
to the knobs requiring many turns to change values.

Cool, we're now on the same page :)

Yes, that's what I was trying to explain. Inherently, this is a limitation of a midi instrument when controlled with a midi controller. On a console or say an original Minimoog, you turn the EQ or one of the oscillators to a place you like and you can leave it there for days, it should sound the same and not 'jump' the sound when you next go to turn that knob. Midi instruments don't have this specific control, you may use that same controller for 10 different things, it's just how it goes with this stuff.

Im quite happy with the sequencer. But it is unacceptable that the sequencer gets out of sync when changing steps 1/4, 1/8/ 1/16, 1/32.

I can't say that i've noticed that, I'll check and get back to you.

Cheers, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7