April 19, 2024, 09:01:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: LAYERS OF KNOB CONTROL IN CONTROL MODE, 16 PRESETS ?  (Read 18393 times)

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
LAYERS OF KNOB CONTROL IN CONTROL MODE, 16 PRESETS ?
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:41:14 am »
Hi, I'm considering buying the Beatstep mainly for the knob controllers,

I've also considered Novation LaunchControl  which also has 16 knobs ( 8 pads )
but I really like the step sequencer of the Beatstep.

The thing is that LaunchControl will let me create 8 user presets for the 16 knobs
letting me control 16 x 8 = 128 parameters.

I don't know if I can have this level of control with the Beatstep.

Are the 16 presets in Controller mode precisely for the use Im
describing: assigning 16 different uses for each knob and pad.

I want to be able to use it with Live so that I can change the use of
the 16 knobs to the following uses fairly quickly:'

A. to control Volume and Pan of the first 8 tracks

B. control Send A and Send B for the first 8 tracks

C. control Send C and Send D for the first 8 tracks

D. control Live devices parameters

Is this possible ? or is there a way to do this ?

I like the product more than the LaunchControl but if knobs can only be assigned
in just one way it wont be of much use to me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this.

jsmirk

Re: LAYERS OF KNOB CONTROL IN CONTROL MODE, 16 PRESETS ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:48:27 am »
Beatstep can hold 16 templates in memory.  So you can map the 16 knobs in 16 different control "layers". To change the active template you press RECALL plus the corresponding pad number of the template.  This is all set up in MIDI Control Center.  That's a free download, so I suggest you grab it and poke around with the Beatstep portion to see the mapping features.  An of course, the manual is also helpful and FREE.

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:20:06 am »
Ok, thanks for your detailed and prompt response.

allnight

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 06:22:11 am »
Cannot believe that you, in good conscious, would pick Beatstep as a knob controller for Live.

Seems, djmental would like to know, in Live, how does the Beatstep compare to Novation LaunchControl and which would you buy.

Well I gotta ask you jsmirk, as a knob controller which of these two products would you choose to use and which one would be most effective?

Which one would you spend your money on?

As a pad controller it is fantastic, and I use it through various octaves in midi note and switched control mode to play instruments and activate clips and buttons.

But.

Unless you have a secret or are double jointed, wouldn't you agree the knobs are just too sensitive to function effectively to control Volume, Sends and Pan of the tracks in Live.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:21:36 am by allnight »

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:46:39 am »
Unless you have a secret or are double jointed, wouldn't you agree the knobs are just too sensitive to function effectively to control Volume, Sends and Pan of the tracks in Live.

I think jsmirk only tried to answer in the affirmative my main question: if I would have 16 preset of knobs and pads controls.

I know that the LaunchControl is a dedicated knob controller specially designed for Live.
I thought that, on the contrary to what you say, knobs where NOT too sensitive and required many turns to get the a full effect like filter, for example.

I thinkt that te firmware lets you control the knob sensitivy, right ?

What I like about the BeatStep, more than the LaunchControl, is that it has a sequencer built in. it is bigger than the LaunchControl,
the pads are velocity sensitive as opposed to the LaunchControl, it has much better build quality.

jsmirk

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 06:08:16 am »
I'm not a Live user, but based on my experience with beatstep, I would definitely choose Launchpad for that purpose. I would recommend beatstep if you think you might like to sequence instruments(bass lines, stabs, melodies) or if you would like a nice pad controller to play in MIDI notes for a drum track (perhaps working with a Live drum rack). But for controlling Live's scenes and clips and all that, it seems to me that Launchpad is a superior product. I base this loosely on the fact that so many producers and performers have been spotted with Live and a Launchpad, but I've yet to spot one with a beatstep. Two different products, two different strengths.

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 07:06:35 pm »
I
I'm not a Live user, ..But for controlling Live's scenes and clips and all that, it seems to me that Launchpad is a superior product.

I dont need the pads on the BeatStep, I just need the knobs. I already have a Launchkey 49 which has 16 pads to launch clips. It also has 8 faders and 8 knobs, but I need more knobs to control Send A (Reverb), Send B (Delay) for those 8 tracks, also to control devices parameters, etc.
I think that the 16 presets of the Beatstep will let me change from one use to the other fairly quickly.
and it is a basic step sequencer.

The LaunchCONTROL only has knobs and 8 non velocity sensitive pads, and it will definetely will let me control Live
but I find it overpriced for what it does.

Right now whats keeping me from buying the BeatStep is what Allnight said: that the knobs dont respond well.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:39:59 pm by djmental »

jsmirk

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 07:16:00 pm »
Right now whats keeping me from buying the BeatStep is what Allnight said: that the knobs dont respond well.

This is true. Maybe check out Livid Instruments or the new Akai MidiMix.  I'm often surprised there isn't much of any midi controller on the market (that I'm aware of) that is simply 8 or 16 knobs.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 07:39:58 pm »

This is true. Maybe check out Livid Instruments or the new Akai MidiMix.  I'm often surprised there isn't much of any midi controller on the market (that I'm aware of) that is simply 8 or 16 knobs.

I've had no issues with mine. Knobs are fully responsive. Depending on what you are controlling, the knobs can be tricky. For example controlling a clicked know on the Mini V, you need to keep turning to click through each waveform for example. Controlling normal knobs are fine. Also there are many ways to have them react, either linear, circular or relative circular. This makes the knobs react in a different way but depends on which suits you best.

In Linear mode (Default) the knobs can appear to jump. I prefer circular or relative circular this gives them a more natural feel and the knobs don't jump when changing 1 preset to another

Cheers, Stuart 

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 09:54:17 pm »
I've had no issues with mine. Knobs are fully responsive. Depending on what you are controlling, the knobs can be tricky. ... Also there are many ways to have them react, either linear, circular or relative circular. This makes the knobs react in a different way but depends on which suits you best.
Cheers, Stuart

Hi, Stuart.
I just want to use it in Live to be control Send A, Send B, Pan, and some devices.
I just want to be able to get the full effect by turning knobs 360 degrees (1 turn of the knob).
I dont want to have to turn the knob more than once, neither to reach the full effect with half a turn.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 11:13:57 pm »
Hi,

Yeah I see what you mean. I do full turns with mine, more like 270° than 360° it just means you have to judge it right to get a full turn. But to be fair, they are all like that now, you probably won't find a controller with bigger knobs.

There's the launchpad i suppose but you said you wanted something with just knobs, not pads too.

Take a look at this, it's nearly 3 times more expensive than a beatstep but does fit the bill

http://lividinstruments.com/products/ds1/

Cheer, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 11:15:15 pm »
There's the launchpad i suppose but you said you wanted something with just knobs, not pads too.

What I meant is that I don't need more pads, just more knobs. If it comes with pads its ok.
Beatstep need the pads for the sequencer and I like its sequencer.

If you say that the knobs of the beatstep respond well I will consider buying it.

All of you forget about the Launchpad, the product comparable to the Beatstep is the LaunchControl
(same price or less).

http://global.novationmusic.com/launch/launch-control#

Doesn't have a sequencer though.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 12:22:48 am »
You're comparing Apples and Oranges. Work out what you really want it for then see what's about, these are totally different products.

The sequencer is the proper USP for the beatstep, the knobs you can get on any midi control unit. It also has CV which you can't get on any other midi controller at that price bracket

Cheers, Stuart 

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 01:05:56 am »
P.S

Looking at your first post your primary concern is Live, to get the most out of your software i'd probably plump for one of the live 'compatible' boxes 

Cheers, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 12:35:35 am »
You're comparing Apples and Oranges. Work out what you really want it for then see what's about, these are totally different products.

The sequencer is the proper USP for the beatstep, the knobs you can get on any midi control unit.

I described in detail what I want. I just dont want to spend more than $100 in just knobs and pads. Both the LaunchCONTROL and the Beatstep fit the bill. And both are capable of assigning knobs to more than one function. Beatstep seems better built and knobs are bigger and more separate. It also has a basic Step Sequencer which is a huge plus.

I dont know why you say its like comparing apples and oranges because Arturia has promoted this product both as a sequencer and as a controller.

What would stop me from buying it is the knob functionality. Apparently youre of the few that consider that the Beatstep has a good knob response as a midi controller. Everybody else seems to find something wrong with it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:36:42 am by djmental »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines