April 20, 2024, 12:32:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep MIDI Control Center Syncing With Cubase.  (Read 2920 times)

The Struggle

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Beatstep MIDI Control Center Syncing With Cubase.
« on: May 06, 2015, 09:18:06 pm »
Hello I was wondering if there is a way of setting up MIDI Control Center to work along side Cubase.

Thank you.

Regards.

The Struggle.

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
Re: Beatstep MIDI Control Center Syncing With Cubase.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:22:59 pm »
MIDI Control Center is the utility app that configures your controllers.

So by "working along side" are you saying, being able to configure BeatStep while BeatStep is still connected Cubase? Not sure I follow you here :)

The Struggle

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:39:19 pm »
Yes that's it. Sorry. I want to use MCC has a control to access features like gate length and a more accurate view of what note I am using when sequencing. Only it can't sync while using Cubase so I can't use both at the same time. I am doing something wrong is there a way I can use both together?

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 09:58:51 pm »
If you're using Windows, the simplest explanation is that 1 MIDI port can only be controlled (used) by 1 application. So that's easy to understand why you either connect BeatStep to Cubase or to MMC but you're unable to put both apps controlling (using) the same MIDI ports i.e. you can't connect both to BeatStep.

Not sure how that works on Macs, sorry.

But, imagine if you were able to share BeatStep with both apps, I'm really not sure how that would work and/or if BeatStep would be able to "obey" to 2 masters (the 2 apps) while providing them all the feedback requested (mostly MCC).

So the simple answer is: You can't, because Windows MIDI drivers won't let you.
The less simple answer is: Even with multi-client MIDI drivers, I'm not sure if that would be robust enough to work.

...hopefully, if I'm wrong, someone from Arturia will correct me :)

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 06:21:39 pm »
As Koshdukai is explaining, the MCC app is just to configure the hardware controllers you might have, KeyLab, Spark, Beatstep etc.

It does nothing else and cannot be 'connected' to anything. You plug in your controller via USB, start up the app and configure the control info you need via Midi CC or NRPN / RPN. After that you close the app and forget it.

One way to configure gear with CC is to gain access to a Midi implementation list that would usually come with your software (Back of the manual). This list gives specific numbers and notes that correspond to a encoder or value on the equipment being used. MMC, Midi Machine Control is always the same on every bit of kit, so it's a standard if you like. 

Once each desired parameter is configured onto your arturia unit, you save it and this gives you direct access to that synth or application regardless of that apps saved state.

There's also a learn function on most new apps now, where by you open your app and its generally a modifier key and click which brings up a learn box. You move the desired knob on your Arturia gear and you will see that parameter move. The midi maps are useful on the Arturia synths as you can make multiple different configurations that match your controller.

Check your device set up in cubase and look into your remote set up, here you will be able to assign knobs to, for example VST plug ins.

Cheers, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7