March 28, 2024, 05:00:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: START TO PRODUCE MUSIC  (Read 1783 times)

Alby81

START TO PRODUCE MUSIC
« on: April 01, 2015, 11:39:43 pm »
Hi, I want to start making my own music. What do I need in terms of both hardware and software? I want to be able to make any kind of sound, beat or whatever.

Amalgamoth

Re: START TO PRODUCE MUSIC
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 05:53:07 pm »
Get yourself a Minilab/Keylab so you can control the Analog Lab software for lots (some 6000) of synth presets. It's a good start. There are also some percussion sounds on it, but for a wide range of beats you're best off with the Spark 2 software. In order to control that, you could invest in a Beatstep/SparkLE controller.

Tip: Begin by installing trial versions of said software and see how it runs on your computer. In case you're working on a Mac you can control sounds in a DAW like Garageband, which enables you to control the Analog Lab software with a virtual keyboard by means of musical typing, which is nicer than playing by clicking the mouse (or the touch pad, urgh).
I'm sure something similar is possible on a PC with Windows, but for more details on that someone else should chime in. P

Alby81

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:41:08 pm »
Thanks for that! Do you think that spending more money on something more expensive for hardware can make a big difference?

Amalgamoth

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:00:31 pm »
I can only speak for myself, but when I was given the opportunity to choose between the minilab and the keylab25 I opted for the latter, and never regretted it. It's to do with the build quality.  Some say that the minilab is of really cheapo quality and feels like a dinky toy controller. It weighs nothing and one should therefore not expect it to be more than what it is. The software is basically worth the price alone.That's not to say the keylab25 is super professional, but it looks and feels definitely more solid, which enhances the playing experience considerably. If you want to opt for backpack compactness and a basic tool that helps you to get familiar with the Analog Lab software, go ahead and buy the minilab. You could always decide to swap it for an upgrade later.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:53:48 pm by Amalgamoth »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines