April 20, 2024, 09:48:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: About to take the Pro Tools 11 plunge.  (Read 1906 times)

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
About to take the Pro Tools 11 plunge.
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:52:40 pm »
I'm a newer Mac user, just got my refurb from macofalltrades.com,
Processor  3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory  20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3,
Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB
Software  OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

I'm still using the earlier version of Line 6's POD Farm setup as ASIO on my PC via the UX1 as my interface.  The only other peripherals are an Arturia Analog Experience, The Laboratory 49 package.  I plan to do everything else "in the box" as I am currently with Sonar.

Anything in particular that I need to be aware of, cautioned of, in acquiring PT11? 

I'm hoping to make the purchase in the next week or so.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
Re: About to take the Pro Tools 11 plunge.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 07:19:53 pm »
Just got done ordering from Sweetwater.
I'm getting the Fast Track Duo version, and then turning around and selling the M-Audio interface. This gets me PT11 at $389.

I already have an interface that I am comfortable with, and with its combined software package, I've been assured that I won't have any issues.

I also went online to Other World Computing and placed another order for some RAM. Once these arrive, my RAM will consist of 4 ea, identical 8gb sticks which will max my iMac's RAM to 32GB.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../1333DDR3S16P/

Lastly, I went back & forth with Victor from Arturia who was most helpful, as my Analog Experience, The Laboratory 49 is a legacy product. They upgraded my license to the Analog Lab via the Software Center protocol. I then went to BP & ordered the V-Collection.

I'm a pretty happy camper right now, and even though I'm not beginning any sessions right away as I need to finish my current project on the PC with Sonar for continuity, I'll be able to familiarize myself with PT's visual differences & such before writing/pre-production on the next project. I basically have the same interface and Arturia Synth package on both the Mac and the PC, & I can switch between the two as simply as unplugging the USB cables from the Laboratory 49 Controller and the Interface from one computer to another.

In fact, once the current project is completely tracked & ready for mix down, I may just transfer all of the audio files into PT so I can more easily hand it off to be mixed by an outward source that is already using PT. That way, there are no file export/import issues. I never mix my own music as a rule of thumb, just to have objective ears involved.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines