March 29, 2024, 10:19:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: incorrect ARP2600 V electronic switch A B behavior  (Read 7282 times)

maurizio55

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
incorrect ARP2600 V electronic switch A B behavior
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:58:17 pm »
On the real ARP 2600 I can patch the VCF out to the input of the electronic switch, then patching the A and B outputs of electronic switch to Left and Right mixer inputs i can obtain a ping pong effect, basically any impulse will switch A-B outputs.
This doesn't happen on the virtual ARP2600 V. A and B appear to be inputs instead of outputs, they cannot be be connected to L&R inputs.
Any clue? Anyone else experienced this? Is this by design or is a bug or I can connect them for some other reason?

Not a big problem for me, I have the real ARP  :) , but just out of curiosity.

fpa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: incorrect ARP2600 V electronic switch A B behavior
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:06:54 pm »
Haven't tested it, but you own a real ARP 2600?
Lucky man!   ;D

maurizio55

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:18:05 pm »
Yes I own a 2600P v1.0 it since 1977, the black version. And it's still 100% working.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:08:44 pm »
According to the Arturia ARP manual the electronic switch A and B is inputs.

According to this article the electronic switch is complete replicate of the original ARP.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun05/articles/arturia2600.htm

I haven't had time to read the whole original ARP manual, but it is easy to find on the web. But can't use search in it.

You say the A and B should be output and that it is on your hardware ARP? That would make sense to me a switch should have A/B outputs. But i have'nt used a original ARP.

Can you upload a sound doing that ping pong you talk about?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:10:37 pm by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 03:01:16 am »
I have created a test preset using LFO and voltage processor to ping pong pan the alternate switched A and B sounds from 2 oscilators.

Is that what you meant by ping pong?

I can't attached the preset to this post. Is that not possible? Would have posted the preset here. Maybe it has to be in the preset zone to upload.

But this is what i have done.
I have conected a square 16' wave from osc 1 and a 4' sine from osc 2 to the electronic A and B in.
The switch C out is conected to the VCF VCO 1 square in, and to VCO 2 sine in.
The VCF out is connected to the Voltage processor in ports 1 and 3.
The LFO sine wave is conncted to the Voltage Processor Mod in. One for each VCF in. One in is set full left and one full right.
The voltage processor 1 is connected to the output sections left in - and number 3 to right in.
I have used midi sync. LFO speed 4 times tempo and electro switch rate 2 times tempo.

maurizio55

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 08:09:45 pm »
According to the Arturia ARP manual the electronic switch A and B is inputs.

According to this article the electronic switch is complete replicate of the original ARP.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun05/articles/arturia2600.htm

I haven't had time to read the whole original ARP manual, but it is easy to find on the web. But can't use search in it.

You say the A and B should be output and that it is on your hardware ARP? That would make sense to me a switch should have A/B outputs. But i have'nt used a original ARP.

Can you upload a sound doing that ping pong you talk about?

Actually according to original ARP manual A & B work both as outputs or inputs.
http://www.infectionmusic.com/arpodyssey/Synth%20Manuals/Arp2600-FundamentalsOfMusicTechnology.pdf
http://soundprogramming.net/manuals/Arp_2600_Manual.pdf
The first version C-> AB is missed in the Arturia VST replica

maurizio55

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 08:17:08 pm »
I have created a test preset using LFO and voltage processor to ping pong pan the alternate switched A and B sounds from 2 oscilators.

Is that what you meant by ping pong?

I can't attached the preset to this post. Is that not possible? Would have posted the preset here. Maybe it has to be in the preset zone to upload.

But this is what i have done.
I have conected a square 16' wave from osc 1 and a 4' sine from osc 2 to the electronic A and B in.
The switch C out is conected to the VCF VCO 1 square in, and to VCO 2 sine in.
The LFO sine wave is conncted to the Voltage Processor Mod in. One for each VCF in. One in is set full left and one full right.
The voltage processor 1 is connected to the output sections left in - and number 3 to right in.
I have used midi sync. LFO speed 4 times tempo and electro switch rate 2 times tempo.

Wow that's complicated ! :)
Yes in tour way it works, but you need to sync it with the rest. Using the switch C->AB (on the real ARP) you can ping pong at every impulse, no timing involved.

maurizio55

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 08:20:24 pm »
This is an extract from
http://www.infectionmusic.com/arpodyssey/Synth%20Manuals/Arp2600-FundamentalsOfMusicTechnology.pdf

THE ELECTRONIC SWITCH
The electronic switch is one of the most unique and oft forgotten parts of the 2600. It consists entirely
of three jacks labeled A, B, and C. The electronic switch alternately connects jack C to jack A and jack
B. When A is connected to C, B is disconnected from C, and vise versa.
The internal clock is permanently normalled to the electronic switch, and determines the electronic
switch’s rate of switching. One may recall that the internal clock was described as putting out a series
of trigger pulses which drive a square wave oscillator, and it is this square wave which drives the
electronic switch. The 2600’s designers thoughtfully indicated this with a rather long square wave next
to the line indicating the internal clock’s normal to the electronic switch. (See Figure 10-2 on page 75.)
It is interesting to note that the electronic switch’s jacks are neither specifically inputs nor outputs. For
instance, one could connect the output of an oscillator to jack A, and it would come out jack C when the
electronic switch connected the two. One could also connect the output of an oscillator to jack C, and
the signal would alternate between coming out jack A and jack B. Thus, the electronic switch’s jacks
are either inputs or outputs, depending upon what is connected to them.
One may recall that by connecting a pulse wave to the EXT CLOCK IN jack, the rate at which the
sample-and-hold unit sampled could be determined by an external source. Again, the internal clock’s
normal to the electronic switch cannot be broken, and so the internal clock will always determine the
rate of switching. This is both useful and unfortunate. While it is wonderful to be able to make the
sample-and-hold unit sample at a rate which is independent of the electronic switch, it is unfortunate
that they cannot both be synchronized to an external source using the EXT CLOCK IN jack. Of course,
if the external source can be synchronized to the internal clock, this problem can be solved.
THE ELECTRONIC SWITCH IN PRACTICE
There are hundreds of potential uses for the electronic switch, only a few of which are presented here.
They basically fall into one of two categories: patches which use distribution and patches which use
source switching.
In the basic distribution patch, jack C is an input, and the incoming signal is alternately distributed to
jack A and jack B. One unique possibility with this configuration is a panning patch. If a sound source
such as an oscillator (or the VCF’s output, for that matter) is connected to jack C, and jacks A and B are
connected to the LEFT INPUT and RIGHT INPUT jacks in the mixer section, the sound coming into
jack C will be switched between the left and right speakers. This can be heard on CD track 51.

LBH

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:52:34 pm »

One could also connect the output of an oscillator to jack C, and
the signal would alternate between coming out jack A and jack B.

In the basic distribution patch, jack C is an input, and the incoming signal is alternately distributed to
jack A and jack B. One unique possibility with this configuration is a panning patch. If a sound source
such as an oscillator (or the VCF’s output, for that matter) is connected to jack C, and jacks A and B are
connected to the LEFT INPUT and RIGHT INPUT jacks in the mixer section, the sound coming into
jack C will be switched between the left and right speakers. This can be heard on CD track 51.

This is what i try to accomplish, as ARP 2600 V can't do the basic distribution patch you describe. I did'nt know about that.
As i wrote i would make sense if this could be done. And it can in the reel ARP i can understand.

Thanks for the info and the link.

Maybe you can report about this to Arturia. Would be a nice feature to have.  :)

Cheers :)

EDIT: Accidently i come to see manual page 112 (Scroll page 127) in a quick wiev at the manual you send a link to.
A and B is output's and C input in that. That connection is not possible in ARP 2600 V as it is now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:06:53 pm by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 04:28:33 am »
New patch that perform switching sounds panned L and R  with or without midi sync. Works 100% it seems.

The switch C out is conected to the VCF.

A LFO waveform is conncted to the Voltage Processor Mod in. One for each of the above two VCF in. One in is set full left and one full right.
And the LFO is also connected to the electronic switch ext clock in. This way the LFO rate with midi or without midi sync controls the speed of the sound switch and pan.

The two used voltage processor lines is connected to the output sections left in and right in.

Just wanted to report this. Maybe you can use it.

Of course it can be developed further.

But maybe Arturia have had this in mind choosing the directions for the ports.

Cheers.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines