March 28, 2024, 10:53:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab 88 problems...  (Read 20098 times)

kMad

Keylab 88 problems...
« on: February 09, 2015, 08:35:41 pm »
I've had the Keylab 88 for a couple months now and have had several issues. It was so bad that I exchanged the first controller for a new one, thinking there was a defect. Unfortunately the defect seems to be with all of them, as my second controller does all the same irritating stuff.

First, when I'm playing soft piano stuff, all of a sudden I get this random, full velocity note. It's so startling! Doesn't seem to be the same key each time either, but I'm not positive about that because it literally scares me so bad I instinctively pull my hands away. It did it several times this weekend when I was playing at church. It sounds like someone hits one key with a hammer, as hard as they can. It does it with Propellerhead Reason 8, Ableton Live 9 and the standalone versions of PianoTeq and UVi, which were included with the Keylab 88. I'm guessing it's a flaw with the aftertouch, so I used Arturia's MIDIControlCenter to lower the aftertouch velocity to 0.

Secondly, I can't get the transport controls to work with either Reason or Ableton Live. In Reason, if I use the Arturia Keylab 61 controller mapping, the transport will work, but then I have problems with the sustain pedal turning on and it won't turn off. I've tried reversing the polarity of the pedal, tried different pedals and played with the MIDIControlCenter settings...nothing works. If I use a 'generic' control surface mapping, the sustain pedal works as it should, with no polarity issues whatsoever, but then the transport won't work.

Third, when trying to map faders to different instruments in Ableton or Reason, it will only let me use the first two faders, the rest can't be mapped. Same goes for the rotary knobs. I finally had to buy an Akai APC40 controller in order to use the transport, faders and rotary knobs. 

This is my first experience with Arturia and quite possibly my last. If I can't come up with a solution in the next few days, I'm going to return the Keylab 88  and buy a quality controller. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Tausendberg

Re: Keylab 88 problems...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 06:17:53 am »
For the first problem, update your firmware to the latest revision.

The sustain pedal glitches, they're still working on them and I assume that it will be in the next firmware update.

http://www.arturia.com/products/keylab88/resources

blain morris

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:45:33 pm »
I purchased a Keylab 88 last week.  I am pretty sure it is a "dud" though i am waiting on technical support.  I have updated firmware to the most current.  When i press any keys from F4 to maybe A5, a corresponding button lights up on the 88.  If i press something like G4, it will do an octave transpose (octave buttons light up on keyboard too)  .  If i press the F key....it lights up the "record" button.  others light up rewind.  etc etc.  Another key lights up the semitone adjust and then the keyboard transposes.   You can imagine what this "sounds" like when i am trying to play piano for instance...it's a real mess.

I simply wish i could make the "piano keys" send only note on/off etc data, but for some reason, no matter how i try to change the values and shut these parameters off, it keeps happening.  I have rebooted while holding the "transpose" keys, updated the firmware, disconnected all other midi devices, swapped usb cables etc  ..  It will control the mmc portion of Cubase no problem.  now if i can just figure out how to use it to play piano!!

Has anyone experienced this?  is there something i am missing?  my current controller is a Yamaha S90, which does what i need.  I have since dragged it back to my studio because i don't think this Keylab is going to work out.  That's a shame, because i like the unit,  the action etc.

Tausendberg

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:15:11 pm »
Blain, I and no one else that I read has reported anything like what you are talking about.

You have a dud. Don't waste your time on tech support. Take it back to where you bought it from and either ask for an exchange or return.

blain morris

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 10:21:27 pm »
Ok, great

you are correct and i am taking the unit back.  It was just frustrating that after sending a video of the problem, tech support wrote me and said that it was just a firmware problem and that they would be updating it again in 2 months (!)
thanks for the sage advice.  i think i will have a new one sent in, because i think  i will like the 88.
blain

A.Yegorov

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 08:42:51 am »
For the first problem, update your firmware to the latest revision.

The sustain pedal glitches, they're still working on them and I assume that it will be in the next firmware update.

http://www.arturia.com/products/keylab88/resources

Hey Tausendberg,
 I also was trying to solve this first problem, but when I've updated the firmware, it's still 1.0.10.
What can be wrong?

Regards,
Artem

Tausendberg

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 11:24:02 pm »
Either you didn't update the firmware correctly or, less likely, you have a hardware issue that prevents it from happening.

My guess is that you downloaded the other firmware, then you downloaded the new firmware, and you are accidentally flashing with the old firmware. good luck! Follow the instructions very very closely.

A.Yegorov

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:20 am »
Either you didn't update the firmware correctly or, less likely, you have a hardware issue that prevents it from happening.

My guess is that you downloaded the other firmware, then you downloaded the new firmware, and you are accidentally flashing with the old firmware. good luck! Follow the instructions very very closely.

Downloaded firmware is ok, it's has 1.0.17 in the name, but after installing its lauch the same MIDI Control Center. If I try "update button" in MCC, then it's need some other file format. But the downloaded firmware is just .exe.
I've contacted the support, still waiting for the answer..

Tausendberg

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 11:14:07 pm »
No no no! When you use midi control center, you're supposed to be looking for a '.led' file. Not an exe file. Download and unzip the file again but before you do, make sure you briefly turn off any anti-malware software because maybe it is deleting the .led file.

Also, to be clear, once you've installed midi control center, you do not need to reinstall it. When you download the zip, all you need is the '.led' file and you can just delete the exe. Good luck!

A.Yegorov

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 10:58:53 am »
No no no! When you use midi control center, you're supposed to be looking for a '.led' file. Not an exe file. Download and unzip the file again but before you do, make sure you briefly turn off any anti-malware software because maybe it is deleting the .led file.

Also, to be clear, once you've installed midi control center, you do not need to reinstall it. When you download the zip, all you need is the '.led' file and you can just delete the exe. Good luck!

Oh, don't know what I was doing wrong first time that I hadn't this '.led' file. It's ok now, just downloaded the zip again..Thanks :)
Also, have you noticed that exponential and logarithmic curves kind of changed their properties between itselves after upgrade? Or is it just me? Anyway not a problem, just a weird stuff a bit..

Jjordan

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 03:31:21 am »
Has anyone found a fix for the obnoxious random note yet? Yes! I did the firmware update. Yes! I tried to speak with customer service...(Sadly disappointing).
But I do love the feel and concept of the keyboard. I'm trying to avoid having to purchase another controller from another company. Arturia customer service really dropped me like a horrible bowel movement. But again. I love the board. So the question is, Has anyone found a way to fix the obnoxious note? I have 1 note middle Db, that hits 127 at all times.

Thanks for any help
Jjo

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines