March 29, 2024, 11:09:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: KeyLab 61 Button States  (Read 2537 times)

mrforged

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
KeyLab 61 Button States
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:12:20 pm »
I have a question the community may be able to answer.

I am trying to program the switches on the Keylab 61.  What I need to do is rather straightforward:  I want to push a button to and have it light up, and remain lit (or ACTIVE) until I push the button again, when the light should go off (INACTIVE).  At the same time, when the button transitions from one state to another, I want a MIDI control message to be sent with a value of 0 for inactive and 127 when the button is active. Sounds easy, right?

As you know, there are a few different MODES for the button behavior:  Off, Control, Duration Control, Keyboard Preset, Control Toggle, Note Toggle, MIDI Note, and Patch Change.  After reading the manual, it appears that the Control Toggle mode should do what I need.  And it does.....well, not really.  >:(

After tinkering with the board for a couple of hours, I was starting to get a bit frustrated so I decided to do a hard reset and start fresh.  I loaded Preset 1 into working memory and set all switches and transport buttons to Control Toggle mode.  I assigned control numbers 30 - 39 to the switches and 20 - 25 to the transport buttons.  Then I set the Min/LSB value to 0 and the Max/MSB value to 127 on all switches and transport buttons.  Saved my changes back to Preset 1 just for shits and giggles and then pressed each and every button.  MIDI monitor shows me that all of the buttons are alternating between 0 and 127 on their assigned MIDI control numbers but, with the exception of the FFWD button, none of the switches or transport buttons stays lit. ???

Am I doing anything wrong or is this one of the undocumented 'features' of this keyboard? 

Any other users out there having the same problem? 

By the way, I am running Firmware 1.3.3

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Jorgalad

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: KeyLab 61 Button States
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:41:39 am »
Yep, I experiences similar things. It seems like if you get  away from the initial setup strange things start happening. I have some buttons that are always lit now even though they are on toggle.
Since this post is a few months ago, did you figure it out already? I'm trying to figure out why the  pads don't light up when I send them a note on message.

Thohi

Re: KeyLab 61 Button States
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 09:46:42 pm »
Why am I not surprised that there's not a single official response to this from the Arturia guys? I thought it was a professional company that MIGHT care about its customers, but no. Sadly. "You gave us the money, now shut up" seems to be the attitude.

KeyLab controllers are pretty, and work - sometimes. There are some WEIRD decisions made: For example, WHY can't I customize my DEFAULT settings? WHY must I select MY "default" first thing EVERY time I power up my keyboard? Or, why is there NO indication what the velocity curves are? You can switch between curves, but there's NO visual interpretation of them.

Arturia, are you listening? We paid you. We have your keyboard. We want to use it. Why won't you let us enjoy it? At this point, NOBODY who might ask me what MIDI controller I might recommend would hear me say "Arturia". I would recommend ANYTHING else. And I would never buy another of your products, because they only work so-so, and you care not ONE SHIT about what we want.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines