April 20, 2024, 03:08:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Confusion with MIDI applications of the Beatstep...  (Read 1927 times)

squideatingdough

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Confusion with MIDI applications of the Beatstep...
« on: February 01, 2015, 12:18:59 am »
So far I've had great success sending CV to an old Mg, and also sending the MIDI to a quantizing looper. It's been a blast, but I'd like to send MIDI to numerous devices, and I've instantly run into problems.

Normally I send the master clock MIDI to a splitter (a Quadra Thru), but when I send the Beatstep's MIDI out to the splitter, it doesn't power the device. I'm assuming that is because it isn't sending power via MIDI? Is this the case?

Also if I try daisy-chaining devices, the first device will receive the clock information, but if I continue the MIDI signal via the first device's "thru" the second device will not get the clock signal... Now that really confuses me. EDIT: I ran the MIDI to a MicroKORG and it and then sent it to the splitter - viola! It powered it! I now have seven devices that I can control with the Beatstep clock... Although frustrating that it doesn't display BPM, but I can always monitor it with the MIDI control program.

Last, how on earth do I send MIDI clock info TO the Beatstep. I'm not interested in using a computer whatsoever - Ideally I would use a drum machine or sequencer that gives me BPM values. Will this require a MIDI-to-USB converter? Would that even work?

These are real drawbacks to the Beatstep for use with other devices, as I'm guessing I'll have to invest in a MIDI power adapter and a MIDI to USB coverter just to make the Beatstep functional beyond the simplest of applications.

P.S. This thing kicks ass.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:59:08 am by squideatingdough »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines