April 25, 2024, 07:15:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep does not send NRPN Bank MSB Values  (Read 3896 times)

lionel@cassin.com

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Beatstep does not send NRPN Bank MSB Values
« on: January 26, 2015, 01:09:30 pm »
In the MIDI Control Center, there is a field to enter NRPN Bank MSB for the rotary encoders.

But this value does not get transmitted.  I checked with MIDI OX.

This means the Beatstep cannot be used to control e.g., DSI Tetra or Mopho.

Am I making a mistake?  If not, this seems like a trivially easy firmware upgrade.

Thanks
Lionel

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: Beatstep does not send NRPN Bank MSB Values
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:22:03 pm »
Hi ,i tried this today with my mopho se and could not work out what the values are to change banks but i could set up cc on beatstep to change bank .please see screen shot. maybe  best this way.
beastep is sending out messages from nrpn but could not work out why the mopho not changing bank that way

regards

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

lionel@cassin.com

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Beatstep does not send NRPN Bank MSB Values
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:07:11 pm »
Terrym -

Thanks for the reply.  My original post was not correct.  Here's a corrected post:

Beatstep *does* send out the proper NRPN bank values, i.e., the values that specify the NRPN *number*.  The issue is with the parameter *value*.  Beatstep can either send the value MSB ("Coarse") or the value LSB ("Fine") but not both.  So if you need to change an NRPN that has a range greater than 0 - 127, you're stuck.

For example, on the Dave Smith Mopho/Tetra line, there are many NRPNs that take a value from 0 - 254 (-127...+127).  I cannot set these NRPNs properly using the Beatstep. 

Here's a quote from the DSI Tetra manual:

"The parameter values are broken into two 7-bit bytes for MIDI transmission; the LSB has the seven least-significant bits, and the MSB has the seven most significant bits, though in most cases the MSB will be zero or one, and never more than two."

It would be nice if the Beatstep had another selection in addition to "Coarse" and "Fine" for this particular mode.

Thanks
LC

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines