March 28, 2024, 12:48:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro USB connection to Old Beatstep  (Read 3598 times)

Atarikid

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Beatstep Pro USB connection to Old Beatstep
« on: January 23, 2015, 12:54:27 pm »
Wouldn't it be a great idea to implement a funktion to the Beatstep Pro to sync the old beatstep via USB port?... The old Beatstep can be synced via USB.

A midimaster syncs the Beatstep Pro, and via USB the Beatstep syncs the old Beatstep... So the problem with the missing eternal sync of the old Beatstep would be solved. And after connecting both units, there would be three CV/Gate lines... In sync with other gear and an external Master

dog01

Re: Beatstep Pro USB connection to Old Beatstep
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:30:32 pm »
this would be so awsome  ;D please make it so, it would also mean people would have a reason to still buy the original beatstep.   

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 03:46:03 pm »
you could of course use the midi out of beatstep into the midi in of beastep pro to sync  ;)

regards

terrym

TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Atarikid

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:02:23 am »
i know it works this way, but the old beatstep will never be the center of my setup... ^^ i think u know why i started this thread, don't you? :)

one example: pc--midi-->beatstep pro--usb-->old beatstep

Seb

• Tech-Support
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »
Hey Atarikid, I already replied on another thread, but I saw that you'd created a new one for that.

Basically the answer is no, the Beatstep could not be sync'ed by anything but a computer (USB host), and Beatstep Pro is not a USB host.

To sync both, you will have to use a computer in between.

Furthermore, the USB port of Beatstep pro is used to power it, so that can't be solved by a firmware update either, I'm afraid.

Atarikid

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 05:04:20 pm »
Don't get me wrong, but this is not true...

Other manufacturer show how this works. Roland and it's AIRA-line. Audio and Midi-Clock via USB (the new MX-performance-mixer). No Computer between.. There are several boxes out there to use USB-Keyboards with normal MIDI-Hardware. No Computer. It's just a question of creativity. The USB can be much more than beeing a simple power supply...

The Beatstep could communicate the same way.. So please don't tell me it's impossible! it is!!!! There is no reason why two serial ports should not communicate with each other. We may need a new cable for this :)... But that's it ^^

Greets, Atari

DBM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 01:05:54 pm »
USB host is unfortunately more than just a cable . It's a use case ;a protocal involving hardware , software and/or firmware .  Now I have no idea what kind of hardware is inside the beatstep pro , but I imagine the chip(s) are quite busy doing cv to midi , midi to cv , sync clock ,hosting the  sequincer and midi controller software to handle much else .... Etc .

Now you can certainly do this without a computer however , It would just require buying or building a suitable host . The iConnect midi 4+ , Kenton midi to usb host are it afaik in the buy it category . In the DIY part of world a rasberry pi or arduino ( though I'm assuming that these are not an option for you ) could do the job as well . Ironicly or in contradiction the latter are technically computers lol , but can function headless ,and for the midi 4+ you would require a computer or iPad for initial set up . Anyway that said there are options that don't require lugging around a laptop or the like , however even with that keep in mind you would limited to sync ( keep in mind the OG doesn't even have all the same quantizing options ) , and sending midi start / stop for simply one more 16 step part and the hardware connections that come with it .

AndrewBloom

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 10:52:45 pm »
By the way it's so easy with a pc and a software like ableton. I mean, today everybody have a pc, and a usb splitter is 20 quid. So, either one is a purist that wants to get rid of the pc at all costs and then it's his own problem to find a suitable solution, or it's just that one loves to have hardware and a tactile interface. In these video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baMs9P50J-w , the guys explain their desire to stay away from the pc for a better connection with the public, but still the pc is a central part of their setup.
That said, Atarikid made an example of connection with the pc, that goes to the BSP with midi, and usb connects the BSP to the BS. It's much easier that you do
BSP <--usb--> PC <--usb-->BS
note that the clock can come from a software like ableton and be sent to all the other devices, or the clock can come from BSP and be sent to ableton that spreads to all the others.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines