March 29, 2024, 11:12:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Launch Ableton clips with Beatstep?  (Read 6168 times)

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
Launch Ableton clips with Beatstep?
« on: January 20, 2015, 02:28:22 am »
Just became a new user of Beatstep.  I was just wondering if it's possible to launch clips with it in Ableton(not the reason that I got it).
Mac Pro 3.1,2x2.80 GHz. Intel Xeon Quad core 16GB RAM
2 OS drives: El Capitain 10.11.6\Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Ableton Live Suite 9.7.7\10.0.2
V collection 3, SparkLE 2.1, Beatstep

jaredkra

Re: Launch Ableton clips with Beatstep?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 04:16:08 am »
Oops, I removed the original note here because I couldn't get it to work. Try manual mapping, as described below.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:09:56 pm by jaredkra »

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 03:20:08 pm »
I will try that thanks for the info.  I'm wondering if there's a way to use  a knob to shift up and down to launch different rows of clips/scenes?
Mac Pro 3.1,2x2.80 GHz. Intel Xeon Quad core 16GB RAM
2 OS drives: El Capitain 10.11.6\Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Ableton Live Suite 9.7.7\10.0.2
V collection 3, SparkLE 2.1, Beatstep

jaredkra

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:46:17 pm »
Did you try manual mapping? If you click the MIDI button in the upper right hand corner of Live, you will see extra features which can be midi mapped. There is a clip launch play button at the bottom of each track, and in the master track there is a scene launch button, buttons for scene up/down, and a button with a number '1' inside. Map an encoder to the number and then you can use it to scroll/select scenes.

You don't have to reconfigure your Beatstep at all to use the manual mapping.

Dom2Dom

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 01:46:32 pm »
ok, if we have to do in manual mapping, it's not really honest to do publicity about launch clip in ableton because ALL OF MIDI CONTROLLER's have this capacity.
it's just a way in marketing to give better bizzness.
 ;D

gegatron

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:19:07 pm »
I wanted to reply to this even though this is like half a year old. I just got the BS and had an issue launching clips. It would play the drum kit fine but not launch clips. Then I spent an hour researching and playing with the thing in Live 9 and finally got it to launch clips! But then it was not playing drum kits! My god! I wanted to throw myself out the window!

I emailed Arturia last night and they responded that to get it to play clips, I have to remove Beatstep from Control Surface setting in the MIDI options in Live. Then it would play clips.

So that is great but seems a little weird that you have to change a setting to get it to do this! It would be nice if you could just select Memory 2 or something to get it to switch between these modes. Talking about Memory, when I use Recall and recall memory 2 or any other memory, BS stops interacting with Ableton Live 9 completely. I have to disconnect from USB and reconnect for it to start working again.

I am very new to all this hardware so for now I am happy with it. I like how it works with my Microbrute, but honestly this problem where it disconnects from Live i believe is a big problem. Seems that memory banks are completely unusable and this will really impact my growth in this MIDI world. How can I only control one little aspect of the software with such a robust controller? Very thin.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines