April 20, 2024, 12:46:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: the best approach to really learning/understanding sound design/sythesis?  (Read 4956 times)

SoundGoddess

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Breaking the 5th wall to travel faster-than-light!
    • Water Wraith
I have the keylab and v-collection, I know reading the manuals is a good plan.  I'm currently doing sound design synthesis tutorials for massive to try to wrap my head around the basics of subtractive sound design.  I want to really immerse myself into the different sound design opportunities that v-collection offers, but I don't really know how to approach it effectively. I want to spend the year of 2015 figuring out sound design, what would your approach be?
Hardware: Keylab 49, MicroBrute, BeatStep, SparkLE, Spark

Software Synths: V-Collection 4 Update, SynthMaster, Massive, Hive, Serum, Enzyme

DAW: Bitwig Studio

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
The Robert Mg Documentary is a great place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5HRa9nEVVU

Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

BodoBrute

If you can understand German, try the book 'Synthesizer programming' by Peter Gorges (look for used ones - I got it in near mint condition for 5 Euros). It also includes a free and really nice softsynth, but of course you can apply anything you learn to any analog synth that uses subtractive synthesis.

CC4

• Beta-testers
I always recommend the book Sound Synthesis & Sampling by Martin Russ.  It's a great guide to sound synthesis.

If you can find it cheap, Keyboard presents Steal This Sound by Mitchell Sigman is a pretty decent book on learning to create popular synth patches that specifically refers to some of Arturia's synths. 

Also, the entire Sound on Sound: Synth Secrets by Gordon Reid is a great series;  It's a collection of articles from the late '90s to 'early '00s on a variety of synthesis methods, available for free on the Sound on Sound website.

SoundGoddess

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Water Wraith
Thanks everyone for the links, I'm starting to get more of a handle on sound design now than I had before...it's a big can of worms but I can see how this will really open up my music. :D  I don't know German unfortunately.

Software Synths: V-Collection 4 Update, SynthMaster, Massive, Hive, Serum, Enzyme

SoundGoddess

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Water Wraith
Re: the best approach to really learning/understanding sound design/sythesis?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:19:45 am »
I decided to invest in Syntorial...even though I was able to learn a lot of the basics from reading and watching tutorials, the software is really helpful at training my ear to understand how to build/replicate sounds from scratch.  The exercises are pretty challenging, and I'm only about 1/4 a way through the course, but I feel like I have a much firmer grasp of how envelopes and low-pass filters actually affect the sound.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
Really the best thing you can do is experiment. A lot. With various synths. Ideally stick with one style of synthesis across several synths for awhile until you feel you have a good working grasp of it, and can reproduce sounds that you hear in your head fairly well. Then move on to another type of synthesis.
Using multiple synths, I feel, is pretty important. Altho they each may use the same synthesis method (say, subtractive) they each have their own methods and characteristics to get what you're looking for out of them. By working with multiple various synths, you gain a deeper understanding of the sythesis method you're studying.
Also, the youtuber is FULL of good videos about various synthesis methods.
Have fun! :D
This space left intentionally blank.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
The ARP2600 V will help you experiment extensively, as it has all sorts of patching/routing options with the patch cables like Kieth Emerson still does live.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

drob

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I started here, with Franco Lamuerte's Mini V tutorial (in French): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVNvwqHKbWM
Very clear presentation.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines