April 25, 2024, 06:27:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab 49 one key is higher than the others.  (Read 4109 times)

SebSurfer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Keylab 49 one key is higher than the others.
« on: December 30, 2014, 01:09:32 pm »
Hi all,

One key of my new Keylab 49 (the third white key from the left) of the keyboard, is 5 millimeters higher than the others.
I've opened ticket (one week ago) on the Arturia technical support site, but i have no answer...
I though the quality of Arturia hardware was better, and the technical support a bit more reactive...but no.

Anyone know if there's a phone number for Europe Support please ?

Thanks.

Seb.

fizzyfizz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Keylab 49 one key is higher than the others.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 04:25:58 pm »
Exactly the same here! I contacted Arturia about the problem with my keyboard 2 weeks ago but still haven't heard anything :(

Amalgamoth

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:32:48 pm »
Do you have a keybed with weights that are glued to the keys? If you have a Keylab with blobs or thin threads of glue underneath, then it looks like you need a keybed replacement, just like the case was with my Keylab25. After a few months I got a floating key that would click when pressed. The click was caused by a disattached weight. I returned the Keylab to the shop, from where it would be sent to the repair service elsewhere. But instead of a quick fix for the key in question it was decided to send the Keylab to France, where a different kind of keybed was embedded.
It makes sense, because after a simple fix of that one key, another problem key could follow shortly. From my observation I can say that the replacement keybed is more solid and not as fragile as the blobs-of-glue one. I wish I got it like that when buying it, so I wouldn't have to wait more than six weeks for the case to be solved. But okay, I have a warranty and time flies anyway.
I suggest you return your instrument and do like I did. I strongly advise you to NOT open your Keylab and go DIY, like others did in order to save time. It will invalidate your warranty and you will be stuck with the less-than-solid type. This is what I'm saying, but eventually the choice is yours.

roobarb56

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 11:04:08 pm »
Hi Amalgamoth

Was interested to read of your slightly different issue with the keys. I do understand that sending back the item is usually the best course of action but I decided to have a look inside, curiosity has probably 'killed a few cats' but sometimes I just like the challenge.

In terms of the keybed being different, in what way was yours different? how could you tell? The replacment I was sent looks and feels exactly the same as the one I took out. I would be very surprised if Arturia had sent me out another possible faulty one, so Im curious to know how yours is different.

What I can say is there is quite a lot of sideways and twisting movement in the keys which, I personally think is just down to poor design and generous manufacturing tolerances. I am hoping the issue with the plastic retaining clips braking has been resolved though improved materials and/or better manufacturing methods. The weights under each key do seem to be secure.

Does anybody know who makes the keybeds? curiosity strikes again!

However, I would still say this is a great controller and with a better keyboard would be fantastic. :)

Cheers

fizzyfizz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 11:13:08 pm »
I too would be interested to know if the replacement keyboard has the sideways and twisting movement in the keys. The keys on my faulty Keylab all feel loose, cheap and wobbly compared to the far superior keys on my cheaper M-Audio Axiom.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:15:51 am by fizzyfizz »

Amalgamoth

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 01:02:36 am »
Hi Amalgamoth

Was interested to read of your slightly different issue with the keys. I do understand that sending back the item is usually the best course of action but I decided to have a look inside, curiosity has probably 'killed a few cats' but sometimes I just like the challenge.

In terms of the keybed being different, in what way was yours different? how could you tell? The replacment I was sent looks and feels exactly the same as the one I took out. I would be very surprised if Arturia had sent me out another possible faulty one, so Im curious to know how yours is different.

What I can say is there is quite a lot of sideways and twisting movement in the keys which, I personally think is just down to poor design and generous manufacturing tolerances. I am hoping the issue with the plastic retaining clips braking has been resolved though improved materials and/or better manufacturing methods. The weights under each key do seem to be secure.

Well, in terms of being different I already pointed out that the replacement keybed I got didn't have all the gluey crap underneath. A second thing I noticed was the, shall I say, grey sensor crossbeam that is visible when looking straight down past the black keys (can you see it?). I didn't notice this on the previous keybed.
I'd swear it's a different construction. It's also less wobbly I think. No idea whose design it is. I didn't get a report of the repair. Just an e-mail with something like "instrument repaired and ready to be collected".
Some things still make me frown a bit. I believe the replacement keybed plays with less sensitivity, and there is some slight friction between keys on the right half. Still, none of this bothers me as much as floating keys.
I'll keep on playing for now, but if anything else weird occurs I know what to do. I won't open the instrument, but rather the box in which I keep my warranty document!

roobarb56

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 01:50:32 am »
Hi
Thanks for the info, I'm sure they could have put a better keyboard in it. Anyone who would have have tested it would have known it felt a bit 'cheap' so a strange decision really considering how good everything else it.

I guess I'm spoiled as I also own a Kawai VPC1 enough said!

Cheers

SebSurfer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 09:33:01 pm »
Do you have a keybed with weights that are glued to the keys? If you have a Keylab with blobs or thin threads of glue underneath, then it looks like you need a keybed replacement, just like the case was with my Keylab25. After a few months I got a floating key that would click when pressed. The click was caused by a disattached weight. I returned the Keylab to the shop, from where it would be sent to the repair service elsewhere. But instead of a quick fix for the key in question it was decided to send the Keylab to France, where a different kind of keybed was embedded.
It makes sense, because after a simple fix of that one key, another problem key could follow shortly. From my observation I can say that the replacement keybed is more solid and not as fragile as the blobs-of-glue one. I wish I got it like that when buying it, so I wouldn't have to wait more than six weeks for the case to be solved. But okay, I have a warranty and time flies anyway.
I suggest you return your instrument and do like I did. I strongly advise you to NOT open your Keylab and go DIY, like others did in order to save time. It will invalidate your warranty and you will be stuck with the less-than-solid type. This is what I'm saying, but eventually the choice is yours.

Thanks for your answers Amalgamoth , I'll return the keyboard, and I'll wait for a new one.
A friend of mine who is a technician in a music store, said he seen the same problem with the first version of Arturia Minibrute .
He said there's a missing piece of rubber under the key, so the key is higher .
I just want to add one thing , I checked the response of all the keys, and I found that the black keys do not react the same way. Some are difficult and others to respond more quickly .

I can say that Arturia Softwares are pretty nice to use, and sound really good to me, but they have to work more on hardware quality especially on keyb.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:36:33 pm by SebSurfer »

SebSurfer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:49:27 am »
I have recently received a message from the shop where I bought my keylab 49, they told me that the keyboard will be replaced with a new one.

SebSurfer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 06:01:27 pm »
New Keylab is here, I have nothing to declare for now, everything is ok.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines