March 29, 2024, 10:55:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Minibrute finish coming off after a month.  (Read 4352 times)

Mister_Niles

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Minibrute finish coming off after a month.
« on: February 15, 2015, 07:49:35 pm »
 Hi, I just got my Minibrute on January 12th 2015. I have kept it in my basement studio, which is climate controlled at a fairly constant 62 degrees f. I haven't gigged with it, and like I said, I've only had it for a month. It was purchased brand new. It's my favorite mono synth ever, and I've owned many classics. It's fantastic, especially in combination with my modular stuff.
 My studio has bad lighting. This morning, our power was off due to bad weather and I was using a flashlight to find something, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed this issue so quickly. Now, it's glaringly obvious and I don't know how I missed it. The white lettering and the black paint around the amp envelope area is rubbing off. The word "Decay" is nearly gone. There are several other areas in which the paint is rubbing off. I expect wear... but after only a month? I suspect that a step was skipped in the finishing process. Maybe the enclosure wasn't baked long enough or at the right temperature, or a clear coat wasn't applied.
 The paint is rubbing away from skin contact alone. At this rate I will have a blank grey panel after six months. It's not like I'm wearing chain mail gloves while I play  :)
  I just looked at my old Mg Rogue and there's NO wear on the paint. Considering that it's approximately a million years old and was at one time owned by a high school, that's pretty amazing.
  Is this a known issue with the Minibrute?
 Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chi

Re: Minibrute finish coming off after a month.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:36:44 am »
Well, I guess thats why it comes with those preset sheets then, lol!

Seriously though - thats pretty rubbish for a month old synth.  Maybe try to contact support and hear what they say?

This is not a very active forum so good luck getting much response here.

Amalgamoth

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:42:58 am »
If I were in your position, I'd go back to the shop where you bought it and explain what happened. Ask for a replacement, this seems like a shortcoming in the production of your Minibrute, especially when in your manual no warning was given about storing conditions and a possible effect on the paint. And if you do get a replacement, you'll have to make sure the same won't happen again by covering the lettering with sticky tape, for instance.
Of course the paint decay shouldn't occur in the first place. But nevertheless, it seems that there are certain conditions in your studio that are the cause of the decay. Conditions one can only speculate about. Does climate control also regulate the level of humidity? If it can't relate to temperatures, then maybe it's due to that?
In the possible situation of a replacement, maybe it's best to not take that Minibrute to the studio and wait if it's going to show the same symptoms within a month, in a different place. If not, you'll know for sure there's a studio issue. But if the paint wears off again, if only in the slightest bit: cover it off with tape!
Let's hope the staff at the store where you bought it will be cooperative! They should care, because they want to know if this could happen to other sold Minibrutes as well. Good luck.

zedius

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:10:21 pm »
I certainly have not had this issue with either of my Minibrutes. I don't think it's a common issue - agree it could be something to do with yours specifically, or a small run of them.

Mister_Niles

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 06:15:02 pm »
 Thanks for all of your input. I do indeed think it is a manufacturing defect on a small run of the Minibrute. I returned my first one to the online company I bought it from and received a replacement with no hassle. They sent me a new one with a prepaid fedex label to return the defective one, so I wasn't without my beloved synth for even a day. I've paying closer attention to the finish and just noticed today, after only a week that the white ring around the Master Volume knob is already rubbing off. I suppose my supplier has a few Minibrutes from the defective lot. My wife proposed that maybe it has something to do with my particular body chemistry. I countered that none of my other gear has ever had a similar problem. From guitar pedals to mixing boards, I've never had this problem. I've also noticed some little black paint chips showing up on the keyboard. I think they are coming from inside the synth, as there are no corresponding areas missing paint chips on the outside surface. This happened with the first one too. This must be a symptom of the manufacturing defect also.

I guess I'll be returning this one too.  Maybe they'll throw in a free Micro for my troubles.  :) I wish.

Chi

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 07:48:18 pm »
Oof! I feel for you -  but at least the company your dealing with is treating you well in regards of the replacement.

I had to return mine to the shop less than 3 weeks after purchase and they had me wait more than 5 weeks to recieve a new one!

You were quite lucky in this regard. Finger crossed the next one you get will not be from the same batch of duds and free from fault.  ;)

FilmCompos3r

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 06:13:37 am »
Wondering if you ever resolved this? The finish on my Arturia Keylab is also coming off, only about a couple months of usage. The controller markings literally smudge if I press down on them too hard.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines