March 28, 2024, 05:17:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Synth/Microbrute Noob wondering about guitar pedals and recording  (Read 8948 times)

rcphoto

Hi Folks, Let me first say hello. I just picked up a Microbrute, it's my first synth and I love it. I'm a guitar player first and foremost and am pretty new to all of this, I had 2 questions I hope some of you can help me with.

1) Right now I'm using my microbrute with headphones, and I have some guitar pedals I want to use with the MB. I have a Mg Ring Mod, EHX #1 Echo (digital delay) and a Joyo 2 channel digital delay. I normally use this all together for ambient guitar work through stacking delays and slight modulating with ring mod. I'd like to run the MB through the same set up. Using the headphones there doesn't appear to be a way to hook this up and actually here the effects. Am I missing something?? Should i get a small audio mixer and then run the chain into that and use the headphone jack on the mixer??

2) I have a 2013 iMac with no mic/audio input. Using the usb connection will the microbrute play nice with garageband? or Audacity? or do i need an audio interface to get this all playing nice?

I'm sort of an extreme hobbyist and trying to use the stuff I have vs getting a bunch of extra gear, so trying to get all this going as easily and inexpensively as possible is kind of the goal.

Thanks so much!

dog01

Re: Synth/Microbrute Noob wondering about guitar pedals and recording
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:59:49 am »
Hi Rcphoto in answer to your first question just attach the headphones to last pedal in chain you could use a spliter cable to send the output of the last pedal to two different places ie heaphones and speakers this cables is way cheaper then mixer) you will need a audio interface as the usb on mirco is only for midi and firmware updates i would recommend this interface  http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-44VSL (you will want line level inputs on your interface for both the microbute and the pedals)  as i have the bigger version 1818vs and have no problems  with it although you should always check that it will work with your system before buying as i know some audio interface have issues with usb3

best of luck

regards Dog01     

rcphoto

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 02:53:50 pm »
Excellent info, thank you so much!

RadicalAns

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 03:25:25 pm »
I've been using the Line out w/ my Memory Boy and a cheap Reverb pedal. Would the headphone jack work better, level wise?

Real Soon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 06:01:31 am »
The best bet is to use the Line Out as it's straight mono, but since guitar pedals expect a signal at instrument level (high-impedance too, but that's not an issue here), you'll need to feed it sounds at a lower volume level.

Try setting your volume level to about the 9 o'clock position, so that it's pointing directly left. That will get you in the ballpark of instrument level. If you send too loud a signal thru, a lot of pedals (even delays, etc) will get an overdriven sound coming out, and some pedals can even be damaged by the overload. There are some, like the EHX Cathedral, which are designed to handle line level, but they tend to be pricier.

For most pedals, you'll need to basically treat your 'brute like a guitar, keeping the volume down, then running the chain into a pre or, if you want to grit it up some more, putting it thru a guitar or keyboard amp and miking that.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines