March 28, 2024, 01:53:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Origins sound  (Read 7507 times)

emilshere

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Origins sound
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:08:03 am »
The problem is that the origin simply doesn't sound as good as arturias software equivalents. It is not inspiring at all, and the polyphony makes it impossible to program a complicated patch and be able to play anything greater than one or two notes at a time. IM getting rid of mine. Does anyone else feel this way?

mgoossen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Origins sound
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:53:45 pm »
I would have to disagree with you.
The CS patches alone you can make on the Origin are incredible. I've yet to make or hear cs brass sounds on software that match the Origin.  Other than a Code 8 ($7000+) or a genuine CS-80 ($8000++ and incredibly unreliable, likely to die any minute) there is very little out there that can get you this close to Vangelis style polys. 

The Origin allows for (I think) 6 oscs... per patch & 4 should be plenty
Are you using the detune, & TAE? Modifying the play mode settings? JoyMixer?
FLT FM to Velocity?
I generally use my FX settings for EQ & Compression, Then add external FX.

Honestly,
I can fault the encoders, I can't fault the sound- quality is top notch.

Major Kong

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 12:50:21 am »
Slightly off thread: anyone know of any good Vangelis-like patches? I would love to have some of his nice pads but I have to admit that I am too much of a beginner to be able to produce what I would like to hear...

tertior

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 10:30:36 am »
Have you try the Vangelis Bank  :-\
And the Dervish D multi by hermitnerd; he's excellent.  :P

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 10:55:25 pm »
I agree with mgoosen!

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 11:08:35 pm »
Slightly off thread: anyone know of any good Vangelis-like patches? I would love to have some of his nice pads but I have to admit that I am too much of a beginner to be able to produce what I would like to hear...

I have found that it takes me quite a while to tweak presets to have an authentic CS-80 feel and sound but it is definitely possible. I will do more this winter but the one I am most proud of right now is the patch VangelisBass2 in the Vangelis_I_Hear_You_Now.ogs multi.  http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=12767.0

Then there are a couple of Vangelis-style CS-80 patches (CS80 Fullboar, CS80 Warmpad1 and Lonely 5th)  in my sound set  http://downloads.arturia.com/products/origin-keyboard/preset/Preset_Origin_PrivateCollection_PaulSchilling.zip 

In the DervishD multi there are more CS-80 sounds, including a first attempt at Vangelis' famous harmonica-like solo sound here: http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=12255.0
I am not fully happy with those sounds yet and I am planning on improving them.

VangelisBass2 is not just used for bass but also for leads/melody. To get good CS-80 style aftertouch response I found it is good to use the CV Modulator module. This program is an example of that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:38:22 pm by hermitnerd »

emilshere

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:52:19 am »
After sitting with the origin for a while now I can appreciate its sound quality. 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines