April 18, 2024, 02:35:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Volume of keys uneven!  (Read 12750 times)

Amalgamoth

Volume of keys uneven!
« on: August 29, 2014, 11:11:14 pm »
The Modular V plug-in has a fantastic preset called Rock Bottom. Love it! Problem: While recording
(I do this in Garageband) the volume is very uneven. Despite pressing keys at an equal strength, a tone may come through significantly louder at one instance than another, and no matter how careful I play, it seems not possible to get a part that has a nice, even volume range throughout (without tones that are suddenly jumping above the rest, whereas they really shouldn't). It's a bit like
wrITing a SenTEncE thiS waY.

I experimented with keyboard sensitivity settings in Garageband, but that doesn't solve it. Are there specific settings somewhere in Analog Lab to sort this out?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:11:45 am by Amalgamoth »

DShip_Keyz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Volume of keys uneven!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 07:20:45 pm »
I'm having this issue with my keylab 88 I just got. I'm hoping that Arturia will address this soon.

Adrien

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 07:30:21 pm »
This sounds odd.

Could you describe with more details?

Can you look with live or midi control centre if this is the velocity maybe ?

Best
Adrien Courdavault
DSP & Software engineer
Arturia

DShip_Keyz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:30:13 pm »
@Adrien, basically for me I can load any plugin or VST and play and it will generally play like it should. Then all off a sudden, a note will just come out glaringly loud even though I played it soft or barely touched it. Then it goes back to playing correctly. This has only happened on my keylab. My other Midi boards don't do it. Happens randomly no matter what settings I change. It is really hard to record with this happening. Do you know anything about this or have any ideas? I literally just got this board from Arturia. 

Tausendberg

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 06:19:01 pm »
I too have the problem that DShip describes except it's really infrequent. I would say in my experience it happens once per, I don't know, six hours of playing. And I mean, one note and then life goes on as normal. I haven't been too concerned for it for this reason but yes, it happens to me with my Keylab 88 as well.

Is this a Keylab 88 issue or an issue with all Keylabs? From what I see it looks like the 88 has the same exact firmware as the others but that might be a faulty decision that doesn't take into account the specific behavior of the different keybed.

DShip_Keyz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 09:30:30 am »
I wish is was infrequent for me, but this happens very often almost every 10-15 minutes. It makes general play almost impossible for piano or synth instruments. I don't know if this is a firmware issue or a defect, but I really need Arturia to fix this. I have a case that has been open for almost a month with no reply, no update or anything. This is not good considering this is my first Arturia product. Hopefully someone will give me some info soon and they will fix it. I love the controller other than this issue.

seanredmondmusic

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 12:23:59 pm »
I too have this problem, random spikes of velocity at full volume making the keyboard completely unusable. I've also found the keyboard really only works well with the included uvi piano. Using it with any other piano vst for e.g. NI Giant, 8dio 1928, EW Pianos .. the response is dreadful no matter which velocity curve I choose and no matter how much I edit the velocity curves inside these VSTS.
The drum pads are also completely useless, often triggering twice or not at all making it completely unusable. I expected much more from a 'Premium' product. It is such a shame as it has so much potential.

Wannes

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 09:16:03 pm »
Same problem here! I received the Keylab 88 a few days ago but with random velocity spikes, this keyboard cannot be used. Approx. every 10 minutes a random key sounds very loud (max. velocity) when playing a virtual instrument (very softly) in Logic Pro X. It also happens to instruments in MainStage 3 for example (so without using Logic Pro X).

It really seems like a firmware problem. Hopefully Arturia will respond very soon, but after reading the post from DShip_Keyz (support ticket open more than one month without any response from Arturia), I have little confidence to be honest. Amalgamoth has reported this issue almost 5 months ago and still no solution?!  ??? >:(

By the way, should this topic not be posted in "KeyLab Technical Issues"? (@Adrian?)

p4p3r

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:34:09 pm »
Same problem with velocity spikes here... just opened a ticket to tech support.
I will post here if/when I'll have news.

Cheers,
Claudio

DShip_Keyz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 05:28:31 pm »
Did anyone happen to notice whether or not the velocity issues were happening BEFORE they did the firmware upgrade? I upgraded mine immediately after getting it so I can not say....if anybody knows this we may be able to isolate the issue. I have a strong feeling the firmware is the cause. I ordered my Keylab 88 from Sweetwater and when I told them about this, they decided to ship me out a brand new one....If this one does not have the new firmware, I will test and post my results here. Big ups to Sweetwater by the way, they are the best company to buy gear from....would not buy from anybody else!

DShip_Keyz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 04:01:14 pm »
Well I have gotten my replacement board but unfortunately it already had the newer firmware and thus the same velocity spikes. I am really upset about it too....I have had a case open for this since last year and no one has tried to help me. This is an obvious firmware issue since I have a brand new board doing the same thing right out of the box. Arturia needs to address this ASAP!!!! >:(

DShip_Keyz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 09:47:37 pm »
There is new firmware available on the website. Version 1.0.17. Not sure if it fixes this issue or not, but we can only hope.....I am going to download and test. I hope it doesn't get worse....say a prayer, LOL!!!!! :-[

Wannes

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 10:48:14 pm »
I've installed the new firmware and I don't have the velocity spikes!!!! Need some additional testing, but it seems that Arturia has fixed the problem. We're getting somewhere with this Keylab 88.... :). I think Arturia has change the velocity curves and the sustain pedal settings as well...

DShip_Keyz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 06:35:48 pm »
Wannes, yes I think you are right. No velocity issues and the pedal and aftertouch settings also have a noticeable adjustment. Great job Arturia, now I can say this is the best midi board out there! ;D

Wannes

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 11:42:52 am »
Indeed great job from Arturia, but on the other hand it's a shame that they took so much time to fix this. I haven't experienced issued with the new firmware so I will keep the Keylab 88. Only minor point is the noisy keybed, but I will have to live with that.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines