March 29, 2024, 06:30:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MicroBrute constantly producing sound?  (Read 5690 times)

ihopeidie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MicroBrute constantly producing sound?
« on: July 26, 2014, 04:14:33 pm »
Hi,

I've had my microbrute for a couple months now, and I read that you can "hold" notes by patching the Gate In to Gate Out, which I did, but now my unit is constantly producing a sound. (I left this patched for about 5 seconds before I unplugged the cable from gate in/out)

It doesn't seem to matter which waveforms I dial in (it makes the same persisting sound regardless, even if they're all turned down) and I've even tried moving the ENV sliders around to no audible difference (their position doesn't seem to affect this issue at all).

I've tried restoring the firmware, trying a myriad of switching combinations in the software, repatching the ENV and LFO to different things in the patch bay but nothing will make this unit function like it's supposed to.

When I turn the unit on, there's a repeating audible "clicking" that persists until I hit a key, then it will start producing the sustained note from whichever key I press. The sequencer will make it click until it lazily follows the sequence programmed in there (by that I mean it will advance sometimes, but it doesn't seems to follow any consistent timing).

Did I fry my unit somehow? I'm really worried here. I can take a video if that would help to explain my issue.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:38:04 pm by ihopeidie »

ihopeidie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: MicroBrute constantly producing sound?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 04:23:57 pm »
I'd like to add as well that the volume knob has no bearing on the actual volume of sound produced, it's the same volume at 0 and 100.

ihopeidie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 01:28:37 am »
now it seems I can control the tone that's being produced with the LFO controls but none of the waveform controls or volume, then after a while the sound fades away and the microbrute wont produce any sound whatsoever

chysn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:17:15 pm »
There's no explanation for this that doesn't involve a malfunction.

Dark Holler

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 07:26:53 am »
I'm having the same issue. Is there any solution to this?

With mine, however, the volume does control the sound, it is like the synth is still functioning even when all knobs/ sliders are off.   ???

Upon start up, there is an audible clicking that increases from 9 O'clock to 3 O'clock. The LFO can control this.

As soon as you strike a note, there is a constant pitched note that sustains and sweeps as well. You can play different notes.... All knobs/sliders are OFF. It seems the only way to stop this constant drone is to turn off the unit. But this changes nothing.... Problem also occurs using Line Out.

Any word from Arturia about this? This was my first dealings with them and doesn't bode well for me dealing with them again in any capacity. Really a shame...

Seems like a somewhat common issue. Following from Gearslutz forum:

Just picked up my microbrute today, great little synth. BUT, while using headphones (havent tried the line out because im away for work) there's a loud oscillating tone constantly present Its very wierd because the LFO affects the constant tone, even wierder is that the sound appears to be loudest when the master volume knob is at 12 o'clock - 2 o'clock, and when the volume is up all the way its not very noticeable... but its there... Anyone else hearing this or is my unit just faulty?

Thanks for any and all replies. Much appreciated.

Adam

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:04:07 am »
Hi,
It could be due to a mispositioned ribbon cable. Analog signal are very sensitive. If the VCO cable is touching the Steiner filter diodes, or VCA low level signal path, it will bleeds into the audio output.
This machine needs to be serviced. You should contact you reseller or Arturia tech support.
If your machine is not under warranty anymore you can follow the process described  below:

Your machine should be opened, cables should be properly moved, and the machine your be closed again
You'll find enclosed technote_01(you need to logged in to, see it), that deals with this issue.
This is the "clean" way to do it. But if you don't feel comfortable with theses very tiny flat ribbon cable connectors, you should avoid cable disassembly. Most of the time, changing cable position  should get you ride of the noise.just make sure that no cable are passing into the red zone displayed on page 2.

Bruno
Arturia Hardware

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines