March 28, 2024, 09:19:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Lowest CV note?  (Read 6146 times)

Lofvberg

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Swedish Hotsynth Quintet
Lowest CV note?
« on: June 19, 2014, 09:09:09 am »
I tested the BeatStep with a original SEM yesterday, and I found that the only way to get anything like a bassline was to route the CV through a volume pedal, because the lowest note from the sequencer was too high.
I found some postings online that said that the lowest CV voltage is 2 volts. Why is that? Can we please have 0 volts output! Then I will be a happy puppy!
Kandidat Löfvberg
Member of Swedish Hotsynth Quintet
http://soundcloud.com/shotq

synthmind

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Lowest CV note?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 02:22:49 pm »
I second this question and request!

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 03:17:30 pm »
Hi , beat step has a voltage on the cv from 0v to 7v (manual page 36), have you checked that the transpose is correct.

regards

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

synthmind

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 07:14:35 pm »
Thanks Terry.  I see in the manual it does say the range, however even when transposing down as you mentioned, I'm not able to get down into that lower range.  I've compared it to my Dark Time (which has comparable cv range) and the Darktime is definitely getting lower frequencies out of the same synth.

Perhaps on a similar note, it seems like I'm only able to get the sequence to be so slow.  Not sure exactly how many bpm, but even at the slowest setting it still seems fast.  Is this something that can be changed in the software?

And on a different but related note, is there any way to move between steps one at a time manually?

Thanks for the help!

Lofvberg

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:44:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Terry. I'm testing it now, and I'm seeing the same thing as Synthmind. Even though I set the transpose to -12, the pitch does not go lower. However, if I set the note on a pad to C-2 (lowest note selectable) in controller mode, I definitely go lower.
I'm checking with a volt meter, and from a pad in controller mode I get 0V from note C-2 up to 7.1 V from note A6, which seems to be the highest note to get CV from. If I turn a knob in sequencer mode I get roughly a range from 1.8V - 5.6V from the jack.

...testing testing testing ....

Interesting! I just found something. If I press play, the transposing is working! It's only while turning the knobs in paused mode the transpose setting is ignored! Affects midi output as well. Is this a bug, or a feature?  :) I, for one, would like to be able to program my sequences using the intended transposing.

Best regards!
Kandidat Löfvberg

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 09:32:44 pm »
Hi , i checked today and i can get the cv to go to the lowest note which is 0volts on the cv . please check in the midi control centre that the notes that the sequence is playing is low on the bass clef. i put all the notes on c1 and then transposed down  to c0. i am using the latest firmware 1.1.0 which will be out very soon .but on my beatstep i do not have these issues.

hope this helps

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

Lofvberg

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 08:30:30 am »
Do you get 0 volts when the sequencer is stopped? When the note is on the lowest note in midi control center, and the sequencer is stopped I get 2 volts, even though the transpose is set at -12. When I press play, the notes are transposed correctly. I am also on firmware 1.1.0. It is usable now, but it would be easier to program sequences with the transpose in effect even when paused. As I mentioned, this behaviour is also present on the MIDi out.

One thing that would be nice is if the transpose knob would honor the chosen scale. Would be very useful in live playing!

/Löfvberg
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:19:30 am by Lofvberg »
Kandidat Löfvberg

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 02:49:07 pm »
Hi , ok i had a look and what is happening is the transpose now in the new firmware can transpose -+ 24 steps ,but this only works with the sequencer playing ,the encoder in sequence mode only goes down to C1 and upto c5 ,this is the range of the sequencer editor ,when the sequencer is playing the the main transpose is activated and can play down to -C1 this is 0volts. so the cv out is correct from -C1 (0volts) to c5 (7volts) when playing.

i have attached a template ,try it and see it it works .

regards

terrym
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:13:11 pm by terrym »
TerryM

synthmind

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 09:24:18 pm »
I too have been able to get the sequence (when it is is play mode) to play the lower frequencies, however when programming, as you both mentioned, I'm only getting a limited range.   It seems counter-intuitive to me.  When I'm programming, I'd really love to just program the proper frequency and not have to rely on the transpose wheel.  Any solutions?  Otherwise it's quite cumbersome!   Thanks again for the help!

Lofvberg

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 10:31:16 am »
Hi again and thanks for the work.
We found out the same things, then. No transpose in pause mode. Is this supposed to work this way? I agree with Synthmind on this one, that you want to hear what you will get when you actually edit the sequence. If you use the BeatStep standalone, it can be a suprise when you press play if the current transpose isn't taken in account when programming the sequence. 

By the way: nice update with the gate/swing/legato control! Now I just want to be able to change sequence length/time division without restarting the sequence as well, then it will fill my needs perfectly! It works nice when changing sequence direction.

Thank you again!
Kandidat Löfvberg

tracelistener

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 01:42:53 am »
Anyway to get a range of 0V to 5V??

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines