March 28, 2024, 12:20:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: NRPN for Prophet VS (hardware) not working  (Read 4475 times)

deepforest

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
NRPN for Prophet VS (hardware) not working
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:42:02 am »
Hi,
I try to send NRPN message to my VS with the Beatstep encoder, filter cutoff should be  MSB 0 LSB 12, MSB 0 LSB 13 reso and so on... but it's not working with the beatstep.
Any idea how to set it properly ?
Regards
Eric

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: NRPN for Prophet VS (hardware) not working
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 05:26:21 pm »
Hi i had a quick look at this and all i can say is check with a midi monitor that beatstep is sending out the correct message , i did this in cubase .and it seems to send out the right message , check the prophet has all midi in on and that the filter is correct for nrpn .

without the synth its hard to tell
i did a quick template in the first 2 controls and you find it below.
load it into the midi manger and save to memory then sync.
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

deepforest

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 12:38:54 pm »
Thanks for your reply, I'll check it this WE and let you know.
Regards
Eric

deepforest

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 06:54:49 pm »
Hi Terry,
With your setup, some NRPN messages are sent to the VS, but they activate differents parameters than expected:LSB12 and MSB0 activates LFO destination...instead of cutoff.
On the VS user manual LFO destination is: Range=Switch Bits,  N°of bits=10, MSB=01, LSB=00-09
                                              the cutoff is: Range 0-99,             N° of bits=7,  MSB=0,   LSB=12.    So is there a way to implement the N° of bits ?
Some parameters has N° of bits= 2, 3, 5, 7 (majority of them), 8, 10, 14.
Thanks for your help !
Eric

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:42:58 pm »
Hi eric not sure about bit rate but have you tried to see if the synth sends data that could be read by a midi monitor .then you can see what the cut off is . another way is if you use a daw maybe make a midi device like you can in cubase and in there you could make system ex controls and then you can assign from the  controller you could send cc data to the device.
only a thought.

not much more i can do ,looks like a job for you to resolve.

regards

terrym

TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

ivan1071

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 11:32:57 am »
Hi,
I try to send NRPN message to my VS with the Beatstep encoder, filter cutoff should be  MSB 0 LSB 12, MSB 0 LSB 13 reso and so on... but it's not working with the beatstep.
Any idea how to set it properly ?
Regards
Eric

Hi... i read this maybe too late... but i own a beatstep since few days and had the issue of non working NRPNs with Akai Miniak.. a part the lack of 14 bit values (so it's impossible to control  parameters over 127) i discovered an almost fine way to let it working.
Try doing this:
1) assign the desired NRPN to a knob as usual.
2) waste a pad (the one geometrically in line, but not relevant, only for visual purposes)
3) change it to switch (don't remember the exact term) , and in toggle mode instead of gate
4) give it CC 6 (data entry MSB) and assign same parameter number to min. value (max must stay to  msb value of desired nrpn, usually 0)

Once this is done, in my setup, where Miniak refused to act normally, once added this data enty lsb, nrpn worked almost good. I say almost because in my situation, some parameters didn't reach the full range.. but only few of them (FM amount stopped at 12,5%)..
let me know..

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines