March 28, 2024, 10:23:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep gate signal?  (Read 7315 times)

imxtristan

Beatstep gate signal?
« on: May 11, 2014, 08:08:29 pm »
I am having issues with the gate signal.  When I put it to my Pittsburgh Modular M3(a multiple module) the signal stops there.  I can not get even 1 gate to to come out of the M3, let alone 2 gate signals.  Otherwise, it can trigger a single Pittsburgh Modular ADSR fine.

has anyone else experienced any similar interaction with their Eurorack modular?

I've already removed my MIDI module from my case, in (hopes) of using all cv/gate controllers.  My Keith McMillen gate signal can be split through my M3, and was looking to do the same.

-imxtristan

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: Beatstep gate signal?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:32:18 pm »
Hi you need to check what your equipment spec for the gate is as beatstep only produces low voltage 5-8 volts max ,my beatstep only goes unto 5 volts .found this out with my roland stuff during testing .
please see the manual about cv/gate .as arturia state that some equipment may not work.

regards

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

imxtristan

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:41:04 pm »
Hi you need to check what your equipment spec for the gate is as beatstep only produces low voltage 5-8 volts max ,my beatstep only goes unto 5 volts .found this out with my roland stuff during testing .
please see the manual about cv/gate .as arturia state that some equipment may not work.

Yes, thank you- I've already checked that info.  Everything there -in print- checks out and aligns with eurorack standards-  it SHOULD work just fine- but it does not.  I guess I'll have to put a meter to the voltage, and look at the waveform on a scope to see what's really coming out as the gate signal.

Now you report only getting  5 volts?  The manual specs it at 8 volt-  so anomalies are present in this device. 

Kind regards,
Michael 

deltaposition

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:27:30 am »
I'm hearing a lot of this. Just a wild guess...try testing the output voltage you get when the BS is plugged into a USB port (like your computer) vs. a USB power supply (like a smartphone charger). I'm wondering if current limitations are the problem.

audiohoarder

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 07:05:46 am »
I am having issues with the gate signal.  When I put it to my Pittsburgh Modular M3(a multiple module) the signal stops there.
has anyone else experienced any similar interaction with their Eurorack modular?

-imxtristan

If you have the option, you may try using a buffered multiple as the M3 is passive. Another option is to amplify the BeatStep gate signal before plugging it into the multiple.

JohnRamella

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 01:24:09 pm »
I have noticed w/ my modular (5U) that passive mults do not work. They also do not work w/ CV (as well as gate).

My Mobius sequencer - works fine. Does anyone know of a work-around? I am plugging into the computer. Thanks!!

Tudy

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:31:09 pm »
BeatStep has Gate voltage 8V without connection only.
If you connect BeatStep's GateOut to standard gate input on your (nonArturia) instrument, this voltage is smaller (btw with Mg Rogue, or Analogue Solutions RedSquare, smaller than 2V).
The fault is 100kohm serial resistor on BeatStep's Gate Output.
You can change this resistor to smaller (1kohm), but...

Tudy

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:37:50 pm »
The fault is 100kohm serial resistor on BeatStep's Gate Output.
You can change this resistor to smaller (1kohm), but...
I am sorry, it is not good way.
Because smaller output resistor making DC offset  >:(
So, you need external gate buffer, or buffered patchbay.

achtungmark

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 10:22:30 am »
Hi,

Yeah, I've had exactly the same problem!

With me, it wasn't the Beatstep, but the Microbrute's Gate that wasn't working with Pittsburgh Modular Modules.

I could add that the Mbrutes' CV is not exactly 100% in tune over more than 1 octave too here,
but I'd really be going off topic big time

It seems, I'm not alone here in encountering this problem a lot with Arturia's 'curious' CV Gate outputs after reading
a number of forums.

Anyway, whinging aside, my solution was to run the Gate through a buffered multiple.

Since then, it hasn't been an issue.

I have to add though, these posts have put me off buying a Beatstep, which is a shame really
since, on paper it looks great for the price.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines