April 18, 2024, 11:14:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Tuning Problem on Microbrute  (Read 40154 times)

vestan_pance

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Tuning Problem on Microbrute
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:57:10 am »
Hi,

I've had my Microbrute for about 5 months now, and just recently it has been suffering with tuning which drifts wildly during use.

If I start off completely in tune with my other synths, within minutes it can have drifted a number of semitones - to the point where the fine tune knob will not bring it in tune again.  It started I think after the first time I did a fine tune on it and it hasn't been right since.  Note, this is NOT within the first few minutes of operation - this is well past the warm up period - and is NOT operating in extreme temperatures.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it's becoming a real pain.

Steve.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:01:19 pm by vestan_pance »

Adam Jones

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Tuning Problem on Microbrute
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 01:44:14 pm »
Wow

Exactly the same problem, and i have had mine for exactly 5 months! self Christmas Present...it sounds very ill like someone is constantly playing with the pitch wheel, and sometimes its so out the tuning knob wont even get close...mine also has a tracking problem where every octave up on the key board gains a semitone??? Unusable...so disappointing...was starting to think it was my favourite synth... :-[

Have started back and forth with technical as of yesterday, You?

Adam Jones

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 02:27:55 pm »
O.K.

I just had tech support send me Solution 6? which was a PDF explaining how to rectify the tuning problem...and it worked!!!

No More "go home you're drunk" osc.... ;D

vestan_pance

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 08:54:46 pm »
I got there myself over the weekend - Jerome responded this evening with Technote 6 which goes through the use of the tuning screws to calibrate the oscillator.  Having thought I'd solved the problem with a firmware update earlier last week, the issue returned and so I decided over the weekend to try the screw adjustments.  As soon as I touched one of them with the screwdriver the unit just seemed to jump back into tune again - didn't actually need to tweak anything - and it's been solid as a rock ever since.

So yes, sorted now - and very happy as it is a wonderful little synth.

Adam Jones

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:43:02 am »
 :'( it stayed in tune for about 12 hrs...I have tuned it 5 times now and its back to the drunken osc 6 minutes after being in perfect tune....I bet the screw you touched was the one on the left if you are looking from the back....if I touch mine with a screwdriver it screams wildly jumping semitones....I bet there is a fault....what firmware update did they recommend ? It may see mine returned to something other than a $300.00 paper weight...

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 06:46:42 pm »
you should try to turn both tunning trimmers few turns right and left. after that, redo calibration as decribed in TechNote_06.
Some trimmers need to be burnt in before proper usage is possible.  If not done enough they could be jumpy
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

LoItaliano78

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 05:40:24 pm »
I m glad someone is having luck...i remember i ve made the same point more than 3 months ago now.Never had an answer.Bruno said to watch the tech notes.I ve never found them.So please guys if U can help me explaining how to get this technote I ll be very happy and glad.Please...I'm still using it during my Live concert...but when it comes to play with others in tune....well I let U imagine.Please....any help Thanks all

LoItaliano78

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:41:44 pm »
I'm just wondering about the fact that after 4 hours of searching I still haven't find what I'm looking for.Please Bruno Moderator can U please send me this Technote 6 so I can try to fix this tuning?I mean ....I've paid for it ...why don't someone send me this technote?Please Bruno.

Jerome Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 08:48:33 am »
LoItaliano78: check your mailbox ;)

absinth

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 01:01:38 am »
Hi,

I just wanted to add my new Microbrute to a song I´ve recorded and checked the pitch for the first time...

I´ve connected it to an external Tuner and the pitch is about 1/2 halftone too high. So I popped out the fine-tune knob;
tweaking it from complete left to complete right the tuner does not move a bit...

Any ideas? Or is there a way to get a look at this mysterious TechNote_06???

Thanks in advance for every suggestion!

LoItaliano78

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 01:20:55 am »
I've made a ticket to the service center and write a pm to Bruno@arturia on this forum.They've send me a file just after some day.Very fast.But to be honest on that note it's clearly stated that:

"As with the major modules of the MicroBrute, the note tracking is pure analog, therefore:
 Full “0-cent accuracy” can not be achieved: +/- 5 cents tolerance generally is OK.
 Expect some drift at the extremes (up to +/- 20 cents): C-3 will *not* be accurate, neither will be C5."

After some tweaking  Thats what I've atm after the tuning.

C1---130.80hz
C3---528..50hz.

I've spent 1 hour on slope and offste and that's the best tuning i can made.No chance to be in tune from C1 to C3.In fact as U can see C1 130.80hz and c3 528.50 it's just +/-5 cent.Seem a good spot for an analog synth.The problem now here in Italy it's the hot summer.....no chance to play with this synth live with other players....but what can i say...I really love this microbrute.Dunno If I can Attach here the technote they've send me.

busygirl

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 02:46:06 pm »
I just received a new microbrute, it is acting weird as you can see on my video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9CT2nXJRjc

No matter what i do to tune it, even after some time powered on, the pitch is going up and down randomly, using the basic patch arturia sent me to try…

I was wondering if i lost my mind when i heard it for the first time. My tuner didn't lie to me.

::)

The service center told me to film this, and then after seeing this video, to fine tune it !!! Excellent, please give me a third hand so i can fine tune it in real time ?!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:49:52 pm by busygirl »

Macaval Cafu

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 08:37:18 pm »
I am having the exact same problem as well. I've ordered a second hand Arturia Microbrute from an on-line music shop and the pitch just keeps getting out of tune - even after tuning the instrument with the screws.

Does anyone know if this is going to happen to all Microbrutes? Or is this just a specific malfunction with some units?  ???

I would also like to get my hands on that "TechNote_06". I've e-mailed tech support, but nothing so far.

André

Macaval Cafu

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 07:21:59 pm »
The tech support replied my e-mail with instructions for tuning the machine with "TechNote_06". I tried to tune the machine with the screws, but the oscillator keeps changing the pitch - as if some kind of "sample&hold" modulator was modulating it. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it comes back. I am going to return the machine and see if this happens with a new one after some use.

::)

André

avantronica

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 02:21:23 pm »
Could you share the tech note with us ?
I presume you are allowing for 10minutes vco warm up time before adjusting ?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines