March 19, 2024, 10:55:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can we please take a moment to gush over this AWESOME MONOSYNTH?  (Read 11893 times)

sinepost

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Can we please take a moment to gush over this AWESOME MONOSYNTH?
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:07:19 am »
OK, so firmware updates, cosmetic blems, whatever....this synth simply ROCKS!!! I brought mine home tonight, absolutely NO issues--but PURE ANALOG HEAVEN!  The last time I was this happy was bringing my (new to me) SH-101 home in 1986.  This is by far the COOLEST budget offering from ANY keyboard manufacturer in the last 20 years.  I've owned Pro-Ones, SH-101s, SH-09s/SH02s...Mgs...whatever.  This synth has the subtle analog control of all of those (actually reminds me of the SH-09 the most) and with the Synthecon filter...OMG, it's the best of Roland and Oberheim in a $500 NEW synth.  I can keep going people...this synth is freaking SOOOO amazing and versatile...I'm wondering if I can even sleep tonight at all.  THAT's what a new synth should do for you.  THANK YOU Arturia.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:27:44 pm by Bruno@arturia »

sinepost

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Can we please take a moment to gush over this AWESOME MONOSYNTH?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 05:27:31 am »
Also, just read the SOS review on this synth...OK, we have enough freaking Mg 24/db filter clones already...the Synthacon multimode filter is robust and can produce tones that your Little Phatty pines over in it's limited LP filterd dreams.  I say, bring on the alternative filter revolution!!!

sinepost

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:46:58 am »
OMG, I post because I love...not because I want to be apart from this glorious synth.  Ultra...Saw.  Freaking amazing.  Sawtooth meets PWM.  Freak.  Ing.  Beautiful.

sinepost

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:51:03 am »
I'm getting ready to hook up my PAIA 9700s modular oscillators via CV/Gate...I'll probably be too weak to post after...wish me luck

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 10:26:42 am »
It's been hard work here to carry this one out, so happy to read that you enjoy it!
We were like you when we received the first prototype, like kinds around the Christmas tree  :)
Thanks for the kind words anyway

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:03:35 pm by Bruno@arturia »
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

washburn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 01:53:20 pm »
yeah man its killer I'm still in awe, ARTURIA RULES!

sinepost

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 04:21:15 am »
Bruno, your team obviously committed a huge labor of love act with bringing us the MiniBrute, and WE THANK YOU!!  As I suspected, I didn't sleep a wink ast night due to knob fiddling and experimentation.  Most impressive, after a day/night with the MB is the sheer playability of the instrument.  I love the snappiness of the fast envelopes, the tonal range and quality of the Steiner-Parker filter (I really LOVE this filter), and especially the range of motion of the pots.  The arpeggiator is snappy and inspiring.  The build quality is excellent (I used to cringe at gigging with my SH-101, not so with the MB).  I seriously cannot find a single thing I DON'T like about this synth.  It's just fun all around and I miss having this sort of joy from a musical instrument....again, THANK YOU and everyone involved.  This is a definite hit and you will sell as many as you can make.

dkMode

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:19:09 am »
Incredible synth! Sounds amazing. Great sturdy build! Very easy to use! Preset pattern layouts are a major plus!!! My first analog purchase in 3 years! Wether you spend $399-$549 it is worth every penny! This should be in everyone's collection.

Thank you Arturia! You just replaced 12 or more rack synths, keyboards and groove boxes. I will never let this one go and hope to get another.

The I'm Broke Tip-Guitar Center has a coupon for $100 off a $499 purchase until the Sept. 19th.

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 02:08:47 pm »
@Sweep: I have split this thread form your post, because it was a bit off topic.
I opened a new thread using your post and following replies

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=7072.0

Hope you won't mind
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

IAA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 10:01:39 pm »
I've had mine a week, and well, I have to say it's the most fun I've had since I got my Roland SH09 thirty years ago when I started off.

The waveform modulators are great and tremendous versality. The filter I like a lot. I have a prophet and a voyager, but I think this feels more immediate.

Construction is great, feels tough enough to last.

Of course I would like 5 more voices...........
Well done arturia for being brave enough.

Ian

Sweep

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 08:03:48 pm »
@Sweep: I have split this thread form your post, because it was a bit off topic.
I opened a new thread using your post and following replies

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=7072.0

Hope you won't mind

Not at all. I didn't think a new topic was needed when I was asking one simple question, but as the person who responded made a bit of a meal of it, the whole thing has expanded beyond what I'd expected. Thanks for answering my question, anyway.

ONI

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 09:54:18 pm »
I have been playing on it for a few days, and this synth is so much fun! I get lost by all the possibilites with this one! It gives you incredible and powerful sounds quick. The wait was most certainly worth it and I hope more of you guys get one soon! Arturia really have something special here!

Thanks Arturia! Keep up the good work!

jimtheswede

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 11:05:11 pm »
There is a very favorable review in the new issue of Keyboard Magazine by Francis Preve (got the "Key Buy" award).  His only negatives was the small mod/pitch wheels and lack of presets.  He really loved the design, as I also do.  Had mine since July, and using it to drive a Dark Energy.  Having great fun with it, with absolutely no complaints! 

Yes - GREAT job Arturia!!!  Thank you.

Peter K

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 07:41:20 am »
Just got mine in Canada last week.  I ordered it sight unseen last spring. 

This synth is fantastic and worth the wait.  I have a lot of great monosynths, and in some ways this is better than all of them, not just single osc designs.  It is fat and raucous, smooth and creamy.  It feels great and it's a lot of fun to use.  It's the best value if seen in a LONG time, and possibly ever for an analog synth.  Great job, Arturia!!

Dignus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:15:49 pm »
Yeah, I need to share some love for the machine as well, after initially posting some problems and concerns!

I have a full studio of classic and modern analog pieces - Roland SH-101, MC-202, Juno 6, a Synthesizers.com modular, Mg Little Phatty, Dave Smith Tempest, classic drum machines, analog effects, big mixer...and the Minibrute totally earns its place among everything else. I love that it can sound very "vintage" - getting close to classic Korg territory with some of the harsher tones - or very modern and clean as well. It's a very "precise" synth like eighties DCO machines while simultaneously sounding warmer and more organic and chaotic due to the VCO design and weirder filter. Don't tell Bob, but I'm probably going to sell my Little Phatty now that I have the minibrute - it just suddenly seems unfun, really limited, and boring my comparison! I also really love that they included the smoothed sample and hold waveform in addition to the traditional stepped - this is one of my favorite things to patch up on the modular for natural, evolving modulation, and you just never see it included on standalone synths. I had it set to slow, patched to the filter, and then a running arpeggio and it just very naturally morphed over 10 + minutes without repeating. Awesome.

The minibrute has really found a home as a "command station" for my modular: the CV and Gate out allow me to play with the modular in a natural way without needing a MIDI/CV converter, and then the pitch wheel and arpeggiator are extra great for working with it. Also, bringing the output of one of my modular oscillators back through the minibrute is great - especially when it has its own dedicated voice slider right there next to the other waveforms. Then the thoughtful mix of CV inputs means that I can sequence the minibrute with the three rows from my analog sequencer (Synthesizers.com Q119) while still using it to transpose the sequence from the keyboard AND play along with one of my modular oscillators. Man, this thing rules!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines