March 28, 2024, 02:38:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Recording Lab61 controllers in Live  (Read 3614 times)

seesaw

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Recording Lab61 controllers in Live
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:44:19 pm »
Hello, just got the Lab 61 and am setting it all up in Ableton Live.  I am aware there are a few bugs but I am used to that, so this is not a post to moan about this product..

I have recorded a bar with some controller tweaks (which play fine) but, moving back to the start of the bar, the patch does not reset to its un tweaked state, and I cannot work out how to send a patch reset to initialize it again.  Also, all my knob twiddling does not show up in Live..  I can configure a knob to work and manually draw in changes, but recorded data seems to be hidden from where I would normally expect to see it in the bar.  Any help greatly appreciated!

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
Re: Recording Lab61 controllers in Live
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 01:31:22 am »
Hi seesaw,

If you want to reset a patch to the previously used settings you can use the SNAPSHOTS or load another patch and than load the patch again.

Now the real problem:  ;)

You have to prepare another keyboard setup to be able to post-edit or see the recorded automations in Ableton.

Set the CONTROLS', ENVELOPES' and Modulation wheels MIDI-Channels to PANEL and the MOD sections MIDI-Channel to ALL. The DRUMPADS, SEARCH, SNAPSHOTS and SEQUENCER sections as well as the Tempo fader and the Level encoder can use there normal MIDI-Channel settings.
After storing this configuration to the keyboards memory you can open Ableton and use Abletons MIDI-Mapping-Feature to map all the CONTROLS and ENVELOPES manually.

Open the device-parameters for the Laboratory plugin and activate the Configure-Button, now switch to another preset in SCENE-Mode to see all the available parameters of the plugin. (I guess you already know this, because this is the same as with most other plugins) Add the Level encoder, upper and lower Pitch-Wheel and upper and lower Modulation-Wheel as well and then map the WHEELS, CONTROLS and ENVELOPES to there associated sliders and you're ready to record.

Because you've used the PANEL and ALL settings for the keyboard instead of predefined MIDI-Channels, you can still control the CONTROLS and ENVELOPES for the UPPER and the LOWER part of a SCENE and record everything.

Now you can post-edit all the recorded fades and twiddlings you made!  ;)

Best regards,

Manuel

BTW: Pitch wheel can only be assigned to UPPER or LOWER pitch and the whole mixer section is not even available for automation recording. ' hope Arturia will improve this in the new version!   8)

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:06:13 pm »
Oh, and off course you'll have to choose different MIDI-Channels for UPPER and LOWER keys! (SplitMode can be turned off)

I recommend using the MCC to setup your configuration, because MIDI-Channel "ALL" (used for the MOD-Section) is not available in SetUp-Mode on the keyboard.

Off course you can also use two configurations with two different predefined MIDI-Channels and switch between them. That's pretty much the same and doesn't make much a difference, but therefore you won't need the MCC to set up and store your configurations. (But you need two memory banks)

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:33:19 pm »
Hi,

I guess I was wrong about the MOD-Buttons on the keyboard. You don't have to change there MIDI-Channel to ALL. You can use your standrad MIDI-Channel for these buttons, too.

But I guess the easiest way is, to use two keyboard setups with the ENVELOPES and CONTROLS on two different MIDI-Channels and switch between them.
You can also group the plugin and configure makros for crazy modulations!  ;)

Best regards,

Manuel

seesaw

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:55:25 pm »
Hello Manuel, I've tried changing all the control knobs to panel and the rest of your suggestions and these have worked a treat!  But since editing the controllers in the Midi Control Center, the Sound and Scene buttons have stopped working, so I have reset everything to default.  The thing is that I can still set up all the controllers in live anyway so alls good.  Many thanks!

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 12:43:17 am »
... But since editing the controllers in the Midi Control Center, the Sound and Scene buttons have stopped working, ...

I guess that you've experienced the same bug as I do sometimes.
For any unknown reason the Mode settings of the Sound, Scene, Upper and Lower buttons change to Duration Control and therefore four Snapshot buttons change to Control, when sending settings to the keyboard with the MCC. Really strange, but when you've once stored the setup with the right settings everything is just fine. You may find some helpful tips about Storing Different Configurations Using The MIDI Control Center in this post.

Because for my experiences, saving setups while any other connected application than the MCC is opened, is causing issues.

Anyways, at least you can record and edit modulations now!  ;)

Best regards,

Manuel

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines