April 27, 2024, 12:11:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Concerned About Some Of The Troubles Here  (Read 5140 times)

jamusic1983

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Concerned About Some Of The Troubles Here
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:32:44 pm »
Hello,

My name is Jim.

This is my first post here, and have decided to edit it in all fairness, including changing the title.

I was considering upgrading my smaller of 2 keyboard controllers to the 49 or 61 Lab, but boy oh boy, what a bunch of headaches it looks like people are having.

I'm no stranger to forums, as I belong to quite a few by now.

Nor to music, gear, DAWs and software, as I have owned a number of computers, built [assembled] my own computer recently, loaded them with tons of software, [soft-synths, plug-in FX, etc.], been a professional musician since 1983, have owned 13 keyboards, have 2 DAWs going, a V-drum kit, 5 guitars, a few sound modules, and sang for a living through most of the '80's.

I am looking at the LAB 49 or 61 to replace my Novation ReMote SL 37.

Thank God for these forums and the ability to have user input.

The very last thing I need or want is yet a bunch more headaches, and from what I can see here, and elsewhere is that there are many with countless issues, and 'zero' to 'almost zero' technical support and/or replies.

Days, weeks, months for technical replies - just what kind of a company expects to exist, thrive & survive when they don't help the very people who spent good money on their products, and are keeping them alive - [for now].

Thank you all for your posts and reviews.

I welcome anyone that would like to try and sway me back into considering buying this keyboard.

I don't really need the 3500 sounds, although they would certainly be nice to have.  

I really just wanted more keys, but not more additional headaches.

And no 64 Bit?   :o

This is 2012.

The Americans landed on the moon over 50 years ago, [or faked it really well according to a well known movie producer who's name currently escapes me, to keep up with the Russians];
George 'Dubya' Moron Bumble Faack is long gone  ;D - thank God;
The 9/11 inside-job hoax has been well exposed;
The greedy oil-barons & pharmaceuticals are rolling around & dripping in their dirty money, largely immune to lawsuits;
The cure for Cancer is a not-so-well-kept-secret anymore;
Global warming may not be anything of what we thought;

- So with all this going on, the real concern in today's immediate world :D is this:  

What are you waiting for to go 64 Bit? lol

Or, if you plan to, can you give some idea when?

Jim
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:36:48 pm by jamusic1983 »

jamusic1983

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Concerned About Some Of The Troubles Here
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:25:30 pm »
Ok, so for some reason, I'm drawn back to this potential purchase.

Also, I've considered that, as with most forums, most of the bitter, frustrated, and angry posts are from those having troubles, whereas the people doing ok, usually have nothing to post, and are probably busy working or making music, etc.

Further more, because I have not had any dealings with this company, it is unfair for me to prematurely deride this company, or it's support, or it's products, until or unless I try them first.

I do still want this product, either the Lab 49 or the 61, and one of my local stores has a 30 refund trial period.

That would give me time to try it out extensively.

But I must admit, I am still really very concerned about the negative reviews, and other things I read here & elsewhere, and am somewhat leary and perhaps even overly cautious.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:38:46 pm by jamusic1983 »

Sean W

• Beta-testers
  • Arturia US
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »
Also, I've considered that, as with most forums, most of the bitter, frustrated, and angry posts are from those having troubles, whereas the people doing ok, usually have nothing to post, and are probably busy working or making music, etc.  

Jim, you are correct, this is usually the case, although if you look, you will also find many posts by satisfied users.

I do still want this product, either the Lab 49 or the 61, and one of my local stores has a 30 refund trial period.

The refund trial period usually does not apply to any software product or hybrid product containing commercial software.
In theory, there are no refunds once the software has been registered.

However, please be aware that Arturia allows you to try out any software instrument for a 15-day period, even before you purchase it.
Simply select the Demo for the software you want to try (in this case, Analog Laboratory) at: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/downloads/demos.html

For Analog Laboratory in particular, the direct link to the demo request is:
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/downloads/analog-laboratory-demo-request.html
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:41:52 pm by Sean W »

jamusic1983

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 07:41:49 pm »
Thank you Sean

But I'm a bit confused. Are you talking solely about software?

My mentioning of this is for the keyboard Lab 49 or 61 - the physical box and MIDI controller.

Sean W

• Beta-testers
  • Arturia US
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:51:38 pm »
As I mentioned above:
"The refund trial period usually does not apply to any software product or hybrid product containing commercial software"

As a hybrid product, the physical box for Analog Experience, The Laboratory (49 or 61) contains both the hardware USB/MIDI controller keyboard and the Analog Laboratory software.
Once you register the included software, which is the same as the Analog Laboratory software available separately ($299 MSRP), the whole package cannot be returned for a refund (of course, if the hardware were defective, Arturia would exchange the hardware).

This is even more enforced at this time, considering the Hybrid Madness offer, that allows you to receive additional free software instruments via download when you register your Laboratory (3 free instruments for the 49-key, 4 for the 61-key).
(offer valid until June 30th)

But again, you can try the software before purchasing (or before registering) using the 15-day demo request provided earlier.

jamusic1983

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:26:35 pm »
Ok Thank you Sean.

I've just returned from the music store to see if there was any in stock.

But now you've peaked my curiosity?

Since some stores will allow returns up to 30 days for keyboards, someone will inevitably return the 49 or 61 in the box, with all the relevant cables, DVD disks, etc. Although most stores don't really look more than a quick glance, they really should check to see if everything's included, and not ripped or damaged.

But in any event, within that 30 days, a well meaning purchaser has since registered his purchase, authorized it and done all the downloads and installs of everything he needs or wants.

How would this get checked after the first 30 days, after a return?

Sean W

• Beta-testers
  • Arturia US
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 02:45:52 am »
Since some stores will allow returns up to 30 days for keyboards, someone will inevitably return the 49 or 61 in the box, with all the relevant cables, DVD disks, etc. Although most stores don't really look more than a quick glance, they really should check to see if everything's included, and not ripped or damaged.

But in any event, within that 30 days, a well meaning purchaser has since registered his purchase, authorized it and done all the downloads and installs of everything he needs or wants.

How would this get checked after the first 30 days, after a return?

Jim,

The 30-day return policy from those resellers applies to hardware products only, not software nor hybrid products containing commercial software.

Arturia authorized dealers are not allowed to take returns on hybrid products (hardware+software), at least not without checking the status of the software serial number with Arturia first.

If the serial is "clean" (no prior registration), they can accept the return if they want to, and resell the whole package (as an "open-box" or refurb, I guess).

If the serial has already been registered, there are three options:
- the dealer can deny the return
or
- the customer who is returning the product also returns the software license with the keyboard (this is possible by transferring the activated license on a USB-eLicenser / Steinberg Key (cost ~$25)). In that case, the dealer can then resell it as a "used product" (with the software license), and ask Arturia to transfer the registration from the first registered account to the new owner's account.
(please note that used products do not qualify for the free additional software instruments of the Hybrid Madness offer. If the first person who initially registered it received free software as part of an offer, he must also transfer those licenses to the dongle to be included with the used product. Arturia does not allow un-bundling the bonus software)
or
- the customer who is returning the product did not return the license for the registered software. In that case, the store is not supposed to accept the return at all.
If they do, then they can only resell the hardware controller "as is" without software (the Analog Experience keyboards are also very good universal USB/MIDI controller keyboards, by themselves), obviously at a discounted price.

I hope this clarifies the process.

jamusic1983

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 05:24:10 am »
Yes, Sean thank you - that does clarify it.

The store was out of stock today, so I think I will try the software 15 trial period first.

Jim

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines