March 28, 2024, 07:28:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark presets in Cubase?  (Read 3548 times)

denbenk

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Spark presets in Cubase?
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:37:50 pm »
Hi all,

I integrated my Spark into Cubase as described in the manual and youtube videos, but face several problems:

1. The midi information in the presets is not available when spark is used as a VST instrument. I cannot drag & drop the preset into a Midi track nor can I even play any of the presets.
2. Sometimes the connection to the controller gets lost.
3. Hitting the pads creates a weaker sound than in the stand alone mode.

Overall I am disapointed about the performance and will probably return both products when these issues cannot be resolved quickly.

Anyone who can help me with this?

I use Spark Creative Drum Machine 1.4.1 with Cubase LE AI Elements 6.

Regards,
Dennis

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: Spark presets in Cubase?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:04:44 am »
Hi Denis,
I need some details to understand better you problems.
See my questions below.

Hi all,

I integrated my Spark into Cubase as described in the manual and youtube videos, but face several problems:

1. The midi information in the presets is not available when spark is used as a VST instrument. I cannot drag & drop the preset into a Midi track nor can I even play any of the presets.

Can you give me some details, I don't understand what you mean by "presets".
Can you describe your workflow, what you are doing, what do you expect and what you get?

2. Sometimes the connection to the controller gets lost.

You mean after some time playing with the controller, Spark does not respond?

3. Hitting the pads creates a weaker sound than in the stand alone mode.

What are the samplerate and the buffer size you are using in Cubase?

Overall I am disapointed about the performance and will probably return both products when these issues cannot be resolved quickly.

Anyone who can help me with this?

I use Spark Creative Drum Machine 1.4.1 with Cubase LE AI Elements 6.

Can you also tell me what OS you are using?

Regards,
Dennis

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

denbenk

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:14:30 pm »
Hi Kevin,

thanks for your quick response!

To 1: With presets I mean the rhythm creating events shown in the pattern panel. The factory setting contain a rhythm pattern that are available in the stand alone mode, but not in the VST mode within Cubase.
 Workflow Standalone:
1. Start Controller & Spark Application
2. Choose project
3. Select pattern (e.g. Berlin Electro->A1)
4. Play and modify trigger points in pattern panel
5.  ;D

Workflow as Host in Cubase:
1. Start Cubase
2. Choose Spark as VST Instrument and assign to midi track in Cubase sequencer (here the connection to controller often fails)
3. The sounds that I expect when playing e.g. Berlin Electro-> A1 are not the equal to the ones in standalone. I cannot reproduce the sound and pattern in VST mode.
4. When hitting a sound via the pad it appears weak or at least not so loud as expected from the moderate mixer setting in cubase compared to other instruments.
5. I read about the option to copy paste the pattern directly into a midi track. How does that work?
6. My expectation is that the same patterns are availbale in VST mode as in standalone mode.

To 2.: No, it is a problem that only appears initially after loading the application.

To3.: I use a Novation ASIO USB driver with 5ms Buffer length, Sample rate 48000 with 24 bit. As Midi Out I chose in the Spark Midi setting "Spark Controller". As output routing option in the midi track in cubase I can choose between  "Spark Midi 1", "Spark Controller" and "MIDIOUT (Spark Controller)".

To 4: I use Windows 7

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,
Dennis

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:13:00 am »
Hi Dennis,

Hi Kevin,

thanks for your quick response!

To 1: With presets I mean the rhythm creating events shown in the pattern panel. The factory setting contain a rhythm pattern that are available in the stand alone mode, but not in the VST mode within Cubase.
 Workflow Standalone:
1. Start Controller & Spark Application
2. Choose project
3. Select pattern (e.g. Berlin Electro->A1)
4. Play and modify trigger points in pattern panel
5.  ;D

Workflow as Host in Cubase:
1. Start Cubase
2. Choose Spark as VST Instrument and assign to midi track in Cubase sequencer (here the connection to controller often fails)

Please make sure that MIDIOUT (Spark Controller) and MIDIIN (Spark Controller) are disabled in Cubase MIDI Device manager. These ports are used by Spark to connect to the controller and if Cubase already use them, they can not be opened.

3. The sounds that I expect when playing e.g. Berlin Electro-> A1 are not the equal to the ones in standalone. I cannot reproduce the sound and pattern in VST mode.
4. When hitting a sound via the pad it appears weak or at least not so loud as expected from the moderate mixer setting in cubase compared to other instruments.
5. I read about the option to copy paste the pattern directly into a midi track. How does that work?
6. My expectation is that the same patterns are availbale in VST mode as in standalone mode.

You expect well, this is what you should get. There must be something wrong.

To 2.: No, it is a problem that only appears initially after loading the application.

Again, this may due to the fact that the MIDIOUT (Spark Controller) and MIDIIN (Spark Controller) ports are already opened.

To3.: I use a Novation ASIO USB driver with 5ms Buffer length, Sample rate 48000 with 24 bit. As Midi Out I chose in the Spark Midi setting "Spark Controller". As output routing option in the midi track in cubase I can choose between  "Spark Midi 1", "Spark Controller" and "MIDIOUT (Spark Controller)".

Can you try with a higher buffer size and sample rate at 44100 and tell me what happens?
You can also try changing bit rate if this is possible.

To 4: I use Windows 7

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,
Dennis

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

denbenk

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:07:33 pm »
Hi Kevin,

well,here comes the the breakthrough: In the VST plugin folder the initial 1.0.1 spark version dll remained after the update to 1.4.1. All issues resolved  :D

It was a simple configuration issues and everything is working fine now.

Thanks and regards,
Dennis

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:53:29 am »
Good news :).
Kevin
Soft Arturia

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines