The plot thickens:
I did eventually get a code. I looked at my e-licenser, and saw that Wurlitzer V was not listed among the licenses on my dongle or HD, so I requested the code.
I got a message that a license was already found, so none was downloaded. Cleared the memory and ran the maintenance app. Still no sign of a Wurlitzer V demo license.
I uninstalled, with the intention of reinstalling. Note: on uninstall, Wurlitzer V.exe was not removed. I had to remove that manually.
After reinstalling, I repeated all of the above and got the same message. Of course, when I tried to run as stand alone or within Cubase 6.5.2, no license was found.