March 29, 2024, 03:38:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Analog Laboratory keyboard opinions wanted  (Read 2453 times)

Mahtar

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Analog Laboratory keyboard opinions wanted
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:11:14 am »
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting 61 keys version of Analog Laboratory.

I really like the fact that all the encoders are already assigned and integrated with software. I would however need to use it as MIDI controller with other software - I know it's possible - is it all working fine?

My current MIDI controller is an old 49 keys Evolution keyboards with some faders and 270 rotation encoders. Synth action keys, no aftertouch - time to upgrade.

I'm not entirely sure if I should look at something with semi-weighted keys - I already have Yamaha piano with hammer action for that piano feel...

I've tried Axiom and the whole semi-weighted thing felt a bit weird... On the other hand Arturia's hardware synths come with semi-weighed keys - which action is more popular/standard in synth world?

I've seen some negative reviews on the Analog Laboratory keyboards on different forums  and wanted to get some more opinions - is it worth it?

I was looking at other controllers like Axiom 61 or Novation 61 SL II - both with  semi-weighted keys.
Have you tried other controllers? How do they compare to Analog Experience?

Which key action do you prefer?

frantzkb

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Analog Laboratory keyboard opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 01:30:13 pm »
Hello,

I am exactly in the same case, have the same options, and the same questions !

Travst

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Analog Laboratory keyboard opinions wanted
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 08:51:41 pm »
I like the keyboard and I own the 49-key controller.  To a large extent, it's a matter of  pricing for me.  For the $265 US I paid for The Laboratory with the controller AND 3 free synths, it was a no-brainer.  I like the touch and the keyboard is very solid and heavy.  It may not satisfy keyboardists who prefer a different touch.  I'm a guitarist who is improving his keyboard skills, so take that into consideration.  I could not find anything with 49 keys in that price range that I  liked as well and the software was a pleasant bonus.

However, the Laboratory software is another story altogether.  I find it buggy and it lacks 64-bit support.  I would call it a great concept that needs some work.  So far, the Arturia synths (Jupiter, Prophet, and CS) that I chose are working well in 64-bit Reaper with 64-bit Windows 7.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:55:12 pm by Travst »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines