March 19, 2024, 06:16:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Not Compatible with Windows 7 64 bit  (Read 13942 times)

MattGreer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Not Compatible with Windows 7 64 bit
« on: February 10, 2012, 02:08:05 am »
I was just informed by tech support via email that The Factory software is not compatible with 64-bit operating systems.  I have had issues with Cubase 32-bit sometimes recognizing the keyboard, and sometimes not.  It is intermittent.

I have not seen this stated so plainly in the forums, so I post this in the hopes that others will see this and not make the same mistake I did by purchasing this software but having an incompatible OS.

I think it somewhat misleading that Arturia's website does not specify that this software is not fully compatible with a 64-bit operating system.  It says that it is compatible with "Windows Seven".  This statement is false, period.  It is not compatible with Windows 7.  It is only compatible with Windows 7 32-bit.  It's frustrating for me, as an enduser, to be told "we're working on it" and for me to place my faith that it will be done someday.  Someday when?  Six months from now?  A year from now?  How long must I wait, and will you then charge me for an upgrade to get compatibility??  And what am I to do with this product in the meantime?  I cannot record reliably with it, and I am unsure whether or not I can return it because I had to register the software in order to try it out.

I purchased the Dr. Bob collection and love it, absolutely love it.  But I would not have purchased this keyboard had I known that it would not work correctly with my computer.

Arturia, fix your website.  It is inexcusable to know your software will not work with Window 7 64-bit but let people purchase it anyway.

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
Re: Not Compatible with Windows 7 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 11:08:47 am »
Funny... I can run any 32bit app/VST on my Windows 7 64bit with no issues, including *ALL* Arturia soft-synths, specifically, AF (demo) and all the rest of the V-Collection and AL full versions.

so... there might be some misunderstanding when saying "Windows 7 64bit doesn't support 32bit AF" that's not right.

Saying that a 64bit DAW app won't support 32bit VSTs, now that makes a little bit more sense.

I'm using Live 8 32bit with all my 32bit VSTs on my Windows 7 64bit with no issues.

MattGreer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:01:27 pm »
"Compatibility" is a term applied broadly.  If it works with some things, but not other things, it should not be considered compatible.  I have Ableton Live as well, and Live has never failed to see MIDI from the keyboard.  So I'm seeing the same as you, works just fine with Live, it seems.  I've never recorded MIDI but the indicator lights up when I press a key on the keyboard.

The issue appears to be between Cubase and Arturia's keyboard.  The plugins work fine if the MIDI has already been recorded.  I have the Dr. Bob Collection as well, and all Arturia software works in standalone and VST form.

But the keyboard works only intermittently.  Sometimes even the MMC won't see the keyboard and I have to cycle the power to get it to work.

Tech support wrote me again last night and recanted their previous statement.  At least, I think they did.  They seem to be writing their responses in French (I assume) and running it through Google Translate or something so the responses sometimes sound a bit odd.  So at this time I cannot confirm whether or not Arturia states that their keyboard/software combo is compatible with Win7 64-bit or not.

As an exercise in frustration, I'm going to wipe my computer and start over with a fresh install and just install Cubase and Arturia and see if things work.  I won't discount the possibility of a negative interaction between The Factory and other VST plugins.

Aftertouch seems to work somewhat intermittently as well, so I may be taking this one back, unfortunately.

MattGreer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:41:50 pm »
Update:

My computer happens to be able to dual-boot between Windows 7 64-bit (SP1) and Windows XP 32-bit (SP3).  I booted into Windows XP and installed the keyboard and software.  No problems.  No issues.  Works perfectly with Cubase 6.0.5 32-bit.

So, the hardware is the same, the software is the same (Cubase and Arturia, that is), so the only other difference is the operating system.

The one thing that might be affecting this that I have not tried yet is the presence of the Waves plugins, as there is an initialization procedure for Waveshell when Cubase starts up.  I don't see that when Ableton Live starts up but I'm not saying that it doesn't, either.

But that doesn't explain how, now, the unit is not working consistently in standalone mode.

This is quite frustrating.  If I didn't need Windows 7 I'd be just fine.  :/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:10:38 am by MattGreer »

MattGreer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:30:59 am »
Last post for now, I took the past two days and wiped everything and reinstalled all my software because of the lack of issues under WinXP.  So installed Cubase, then Arturia.  Everything worked fine.  I then installed all my Waves plugins.  Again, things worked as they should.  I then installed Komplete, ACID, Maschine, Live, etc. etc.  The keyboard now seems to be working consistently.  There was one small hiccup, but since then it's worked as it should.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:35:34 am »
The only thing I can think of that could break that is a rogue USB MIDI driver you installed over the default Windows 7 one.

Some past windows versions lacking in features forced some manufacturers to supply alternate USB MIDI drivers to workaround or fix some issues with their controllers but I don't know of any issues with Windows 7 (especially 64bit) that would need this extra step.

Have you installed anything MIDI driver related on your previous install ? Like... special NI Machine drivers and such ? Something like that could affect standard performance of other USB MIDI controllers, like Arturia's AF one, for instance.

MattGreer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 07:06:49 am »
Ahhh, I think I might know what may have happened.  No proof, but it's a thought.  I had purchased an MPK25.  Actually, I bought three and tested five.  All faulty (long story, but that's why I'm here now).  Anyway, it installed a driver, I believe.  So perhaps the Akai driver, which would have still been on my system, mucked with the Arturia keyboard.  When I wiped everything, it removed the traces of the Akai driver and software.  Perhaps that was it?  I'll never know.

Keyboard is still working.  I'm happy.  I wanted to get the V Collection but I see that it comes with the Analog Laboratory, and I'm wondering if it is compatible with my keyboard and the Analog Factory?

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:35:15 am »
Yes, you can control the A.Lab with A.Factory's keyb... the only thing you'll miss is, Scene control, of course (no pads either) and no way to control the Filter envelopes.

Besides that, it works extremely well :)

MattGreer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 10:44:44 pm »
Not to belabor this thread, but what do you use the pads for?

And could I not assign other knobs from other midi devices to the filter controls?

thanks for the responses!

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 11:31:07 pm »
Pads, by default, are used to start/stop A.Lab Scene REX loops.

You can use other controllers to control any of Arturia's synths.

johannis

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »
Ahhh, I think I might know what may have happened.  No proof, but it's a thought.  I had purchased an MPK25.  Actually, I bought three and tested five.  All faulty (long story, but that's why I'm here now).  Anyway, it installed a driver, I believe.  So perhaps the Akai driver, which would have still been on my system, mucked with the Arturia keyboard.

no: I have the MPK25 too: it works without any driver and, indeed, it worked alright with winXP, but is not recognized by win7-32 or 64bits. Like many others, I have the same issues with many midi keyboards (m-audio 32, arturia...) and software with win-7 64bits.
For the time being, the only midi kbd that work alright in all situations are the korg nano-keys 1 & 2!
When I changed my main computer, I didn't check it was working with an OS in 64bits instead of 32!!! The same sort of issue appear wit all old applications (dos and/or win 16bits ones) which worked alright in compatibility mode under win xp AND win 7 32 bits. The compatibility mode under win 7 64 is crappy, to say the least... And even switching to win 7 64 PROFESSIONAL is no guarantee everything will run smoothly (tho Micro$oft allegedly says it does... but you can't upgrade to win PRO without having to pay (something around 200 €)  :'(

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines