March 28, 2024, 04:36:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: * Update 1.4 *  (Read 20323 times)

IAA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: * Update 1.4 *
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 10:21:24 pm »
Just wondered, in terms of development, would anyone support costed upgrades (obviously not huge) for significant additions above and beyond that which was initially slated for delivery? I'm thinking of say the new oberheim modules?

Surely porting it to origin is not a big deal, but it's more than the initial spec for origin, so would we upgrade our OS optionally for a reasonable amount, comparable with other costed software upgrades?

Keeps origin on the upgrade path, let's users choose whether they want new features at reduced price of buying native app?

Just a thought.

Superwaldi

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 08:08:42 am »
Before conserdering costly updates, Arturia shoudl deliver waht was promised from the beginning.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 04:47:05 pm »
Developers have said that new firmwares need lot of programming and rewriting. If that is so maybe they should think about giving us better computer integration.

I've been asking for better editor and librarian software with graphical templates for MM and JP8 (they allready have GUIs for those V-series synths so at least they would not have to start from zero!)

Maybe I'm the only one here (hopefully not!) who would like to too see things with 22 inch screen and edit them with mouse (or in my case mac trackpad). One thing is that Origin is not very erconomically placed in my studio, but other thing is that O's screen is small and things aren't that fast with those buttons and knobs. This doesn't mean that I don't like its GUI and knobs on stage! But just think about drag-and-drop approach with combining those modules...

Also, there's quite a lot to improve things with librarian features. IMO Origin connection isn't  very practical for managing all your presets. You should be able to make (edit) your presets with editor and then save them to your own library folders (with categories) and/or to Origin itself.

If I sound demanding, let me remind you that many (or most) lower price range VAs have much better computer integration.

Then, if could choose new features INSIDE Origin, I might want to have more modern sound. Supersaw/Hypersaw oscillator would be a great start....
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:00:16 pm by JacksonP »

IAA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 11:40:09 pm »
Supetwaldi

Agree, but what I'm saying is why not have a development path that's like UAD's? You buy for the platform what you want above and beyond that which was promised?

holografique

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 06:14:48 am »
yes, the UAD model is one that works, and works very well. They have continued to be very successful with that product. You buy the card, you pay for additional plugins as they develop. And they price the plugins to be very reasonable in price.

Arturia already sells their VST instruments for PC/Mac platform, the Origin is really just another platform dedicated for those same instruments. It should have followed the same model, just lower in price per instrument since you've already invested in the hardware platform.

The problem is Arturia already shot themselves in the foot early on by promising and advertising many features and templates to be included in the product, when the reality was that the product didn't include them, and it's been a couple years now with some of those having yet to be released. For them to come out now and ask for payment on those missing advertised features would only enrage customers even more.

After some initial issues and dissatisfaction with the product, I love my Origin now and it's very stable. However, I don't agree with their overall business practices and the way this whole Origin thing has been handled. To me it just smells of a start-up company that still has a lot to learn in terms of running a business. I wholeheartedly agree that Spark was a slap in the face to many Origin users, especially when the product has pulled away resources. The worst thing you can ever do in a business is penalize your customers for bad business decisions. You never EVER do this, rule #1. period. There are plenty of companies out there that came and went that should be clear examples of why you simply don't do this.

I hope it all gets straightened out and they can can gain some momentum again. The new Oberheim V looks/sounds amazing, and I would love to see my Origin continue to develop into more.

Let's hope for the best.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:16:48 am by holografique »

silicium_Ne.3s2.3p2

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »
Since the origin of Origin, I've been checking every 6 months if an update with CS-80 template is available. I want that CS sound and like hardware and low-level software development. If Arturia needs some help to develop it, I can join for a few months and work for free (provided they offer housing, food... and an Origin at the end of the job).

An.unna.kid

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 12:07:01 am »
I have been using it for a new album witch is very modern and the old school sounds really work out here.
I bought it used for 500 euros and I must say that even if Arturia does not come up with V. 1.4 I am very satisfied with what the synth did for me and by now it bought it self actually!

holografique

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 05:11:02 pm »
well duh, of course used for 500 euro is an amazing price for that synth. clearly not the same as the 1500-!600 euro most of us have paid for new units. of course at that price I wouldn't care either!

synthguy99

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 04:26:19 am »
I'm still very happy with my Origin, even with a few very good VA synths on hand.  This thing is simply monstrous in its soundmaking power.  I would love to own a CS-80, a Jupiter-8, an Oberheim Matrix-12, an ARP 2600, Chroma or the dreaded 2500 modular, a Roland System 700 or a Mg Modular.  Well, with the Origin, I can have all these insanely expensive synthesizers - and with midi controlled presets!  I do intend to one day have a "Mgish" modular for real, but I need around $15,000 for that!  :o

I want the templates too, as well as the Prophet and Oberheim filters and oscillators, but I can get close with what I have.  And template aren't all that important to me.  They're just pictures.  I can make a patch of the synth I want, and this becomes my template.  Every time you patch together modules with this thing, you've created a template of your own.  In fact, I use my own MiniMg templates instead of the real Mini teplate because Arturia's template is too low in volume.  And I use a Jupiter I patched up because the pedal works right with it.

If you need templates in your Origin, you aren't really using it as anything more than a preset machine, and its real potential is being ignored.

Since the origin of Origin, I've been checking every 6 months if an update with CS-80 template is available. I want that CS sound and like hardware and low-level software development.

I've created a bunch of patches based on a dozen or so vintage synthesizers, including the CS-80, and it's available in the Origin Presets and Templates Zone - just click that link to get there.  Each "template" has a few patches for it to get you started making music.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:34:03 am by synthguy99 »
One day, I want my keyboard studio to be a synth museum like Hans Zimmer's

p.s.  PRAY FOR THIS PLANET!!

holografique

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 04:38:12 am »
LOL, I love your enthusiasm synthguy99, but let's keep our feet in the ground and out of the clouds. Half the synths you mention you CANNOT emulate with the Origin today. Matrix-12, System-700, or good lord an Arp 2500, none of these models exist in the platform. These synths have very characteristic VCO and VCF responses that while you may be able to create a "patch" that emulates the routing to some degree, it certainly doesn't emulate the characteristic "sound" of these classic synths. Especially the Matrix-12 since there are no Oberheim models available for Origin, especially the Matrix/Xpander multi-mode VCF section.

that being said, the synths it does emulate today are superb and despite the slow development, it is hands down the BEST sounding VA yet to be created in my opinion. Owning a Mg Voyager and a Jupiter-6 it's uncanny how close the Origin sounds to the real thing.

I'm excited to see what's in store in v1.4 and beyond...

synthguy99

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 08:08:50 pm »
Half the synths you mention you CANNOT emulate with the Origin today. Matrix-12, System-700, or good lord an Arp 2500, none of these models exist in the platform. These synths have very characteristic VCO and VCF responses that while you may be able to create a "patch" that emulates the routing to some degree, it certainly doesn't emulate the characteristic "sound" of these classic synths. Especially the Matrix-12 since there are no Oberheim models available for Origin, especially the Matrix/Xpander multi-mode VCF section.

Well, that is true in a sense, as I was coming down with something last night I should have said "something like these synths."  You can't emulate the poor shielding of the ARP 2500 matrix system, allowing control voltages and audio to bleed all over the place.  However, the 2600 has a definite ARP character handed down from its massive father, and the Origin allows you to make a very authentic ARP modular in the sense of the 2500, which the 2600 could only hope to achieve with three or four of them wired together.

But as for the Matrix-12, I'm more sure of.  The use of the Curtis family of audio ICs coming into widespread use at the time are quite similar to the sound of the Origin modules, and I've been able to get some very similar sounds to the Prophet 5 and OB-8.  I haven't tried to get an actual Mx-12 patch yet, since that monster is very complex, but someday I'm going to put my mind to it, especially if Arturia blesses us with Oberheim modules.  While it won't sound exactly the same, it's going to be close enough, until I can finally grab one of my own.

On that note, being something of an analog purist, I will say that if you have a real Mg, ARP or dare I say it, CS-80 around, the Origin and Arturia's softsynths come very close, but still lack a little something the originals deliver, as holografique says.  But seeing as I can't afford the originals, and the quality of the Arturia modeling is very high, I don't quibble over small issues and happily program and play away.  Besides, a real Mg Modular III in good shape can cost as much as a house!

lornasawin

• i am the best
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 09:30:10 am »
We waited till "end of October" and now we are back in zero again. Can you give us at least some idea, when 1.4 (or full 1.5) might be available? People get angry when promises won't hold but they get also angry when they can't get any real information.
 :) :) :)
---------------------------------------

web development company

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 10:24:52 am »
Well, in my opinion we are not "back in Zero", cause Philippe just gave us information about what's gonna happen next. Ok, we're don't know when it's gonna happen, when we'll have beta 1.4 available. But after a long period of silence let's be happy that something is really happening.

BTW if they develop SEM modules for Origin, should they think about making SEM template perhaps instead of CS-80 template (as a next step)? If I am right (promised) CS-80 is much more complex and probably also difficult to handle in Origins small screen and knobs. So perhaps SEM would be more useful template. IMO MiniMg is great template because it's simple enough: you can see it in screen quite well and command it with Origin's knobs. Creatures like Mg Modular or CS-80 are of course great synths but you cannot easily use them with synth like Origin... But of course I will welcome any template: IMO they are the second half of Origin (another half is this modular structure). Both are necessary to make Origin what it is: a great(est) VA out there. And as I've said before, IMO those templates are the "thing" to make it very attractive to new users. Who would not like to have all these great vintage synths in one package with all the extras (polyphony, multitimbrality, effects, modules etc.)?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:26:55 am by JacksonP »

Philippe

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 10:40:28 am »
We waited till "end of October" and now we are back in zero again. Can you give us at least some idea, when 1.4 (or full 1.5) might be available? People get angry when promises won't hold but they get also angry when they can't get any real information.
 :) :) :)

Maybe you didn't notice the thread.

It looks to me like a "real information", doesn't it?

Concerning the release date of this 1.4 I won't communicate now. Of course we have a target date, but I prefer to wait until internal tests and external beta-tests are completed so that I can give a reliable information.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:06:42 am by Philippe »
Origin Lead  Developer

synthguy99

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 12:38:41 pm »
BTW if they develop SEM modules for Origin, should they think about making SEM template perhaps instead of CS-80 template (as a next step)? If I am right (promised) CS-80 is much more complex and probably also difficult to handle in Origins small screen and knobs. So perhaps SEM would be more useful template.

I don't think the CS-80 is any more cluttered than the Jupiter-8, and I think the CS-80 is much more desirable as a template.  And while having an SEM/OB-X template would be fantastic, I still think the CS-80 should come next.  Building a proper one with modules requires quite a bit of CPU, and mine can only produce 7 notes or so, which in compositions should be fine.  But I'd hope the template would be optimized so that it has more polyphony.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines