March 28, 2024, 02:41:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: * Update 1.4 *  (Read 20319 times)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: * Update 1.4 *
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 09:14:47 pm »
I own the Origin since about 2 years now and i'am happy with the current firmware, really strange...I might be the only one here  8)

No, you're not...   8)

...Why is this update so important? Sorry, i don`t know.

There are some features that were planned from the beginning that are still outstanding, namely ARP-2600 and CS-80 templates and VST support.  

Got this maschine still got bugs that causes crashes or is it all asome potential features that I do bout new filters and a new pc editor?

It's quite stable by now (I have zero problems). The outcry is because of those outstanding features mentioned above. BTW, we have gotten several new features and modules that was NOT planned from the start

Personally I'm not desperate. It's a very cool and usable synth as it is. It would indeed be nice if they had loads of people working round the clock on Origin developments, but this is in reality a boutique synth project, and as such it hasn't fared half bad - and it ain't dead yet; the developers are still talking to us. I'd rather want Arturia to work on some other products and survive to give us delayed updates than seeing them disappear.

Call me a gullible sucker - rather that than busting an artery over some potential features that I do just fine without  ;D

All that being said: Get on with it Arturia :P

DJ
--
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:48:33 pm by DrJustice »

vaikl

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 12:39:36 am »
If the type of customer, that Arturia wants to make business with, is a classical user, who don't like or uses VST plugs on a comp to simplify his workflow, then Arturia has made a big mistake to insert plugin support into their products and assigning stuff members to this development project. They'll loose money for nothing.

I don't believe that Arturia is thinking this way. But for impressing new customers they had to serve something that is at minimum in a release candidate state. It's sadly true that many other companies are still determined since the late eighties to let their customers do the beta testings with sold products but times are changing, folks....

Cord

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 01:51:07 am »
I am actually happy that somebody transformed Wolgang Palms idea of a Realizer into a product. Actually, Arturia has taken the concept further and is offering us one of the most flexible synthesizer in a box. I am thinking more in the line of modern modular instead of a template driven synth.

vaikl

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 03:53:47 am »
I am actually happy that somebody transformed Wolgang Palms idea of a Realizer into a product. Actually, Arturia has taken the concept further and is offering us one of the most flexible synthesizer in a box. I am thinking more in the line of modern modular instead of a template driven synth.

That's right, but Wolfgang was also far ahead of time with his vision of integration of synth and computer. Arturia should not leave this vision untouched by rolling back into the pre-computer era because they can't produce a simple, robust and working interface.

guardner

• Beta-testers
    • Instagram
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 02:18:26 pm »
I own the Origin since about 2 years now and i'am happy with the current firmware, really strange...I might be the only one here  8)
I had the virus ti and guess what? it took about 2 years untill the ti integration was working flawlessly...I sold it because it's not the sound I was looking for.
I don't think that we ever will see a working vst integration here to be honest, but hey this synth sounds fantastic!
If you want to look at the screen while making music, buy some plugins.
And if you want more templates, I think a modular synth is not the one for you.
I played with most of the va synths currently available but the origin is exactly what I really like.
It just sounds sooo goood for a va synth and I don't have any technical problems with it, at least with the current firmware..

(I'am not working for arturia, I'am just a fan of the sound quality and features this synth has already, till now!)

So make music and don't wait for the next update...

Regards
_dg

+1

same for me! working like a charm! and i really love the sound and i'm routing everything through analog outboard, so no need for vst integration! with my VirusTi it never worked...
macOS 10.14.6, MatrixBrute, V-Collection7, Pigments, all FX and more...

synthguy99

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 06:03:33 pm »
I own the Origin since about 2 years now and i'am happy with the current firmware, really strange...I might be the only one here  8)

I feel the same way.  Templates are a nice shortcut, but you can make your own without much trouble.  Heck, I have some pre-made "templates" mimicking more than a dozen vintage synths in the download section, and with more than a hundred patches included.  No screen graphics obviously, but a bunch of hard wired set-ups which sound pretty darn close to the originals.  Along with that, a bunch of notes on how they're set up, as well as some programming tips.

I do want the CS-80 template because making one from scratch is more than a bit tedious, and it's only 6 or 7 note poly because of all the CPU needed.  I want the Prophet and Oberheim OSCs and filters, and it would be nice to have templates for them too - at proper volume, thank you.  You guys at Arturia really need to fix the volume of that MiniMg template you made, much too quiet.

But even then, this is a dream instrument just with what we have now.  The filters, the most crucial part of a synth in defining its sound, are fantastic.  If I didn't have the Origin, I'd have to build a music PC and get the Vintage Collection.  Which is definitely a thought...

But even then, I couldn't make something resembling an ARP 2500 - the ancient modular monster, not the 2600 we all know.  Or a Roland System 700 Modular.  Or any of the synths in my download, other than the CS-80.  And I couldn't run a Mg oscillator into a Roland filter to see what came of it.  You guys are so spoiled, and don't realize it.

As for me, I have a long vacation coming up, and the Origin is going to be a big part of my musical endeavors, even without the templates, or filters from Prophets and Oberheims.  What I have now is more than a dream instrument, so to heck with you mopey guys not using yours.   ;)
One day, I want my keyboard studio to be a synth museum like Hans Zimmer's

p.s.  PRAY FOR THIS PLANET!!

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 08:48:44 pm »
well, I can confirm that Origin is very stable now. There are some minor things in multi mode that can make it suddenly silent, but I can tolerate this kind of a bug.

For sure IT IS a great piece of work just the way it is now. But question remains: is it worth its price? For over 2000 euros product you can expect certain qualities. I'd say that with quite small improvements it would be much more interesting product. In other thread I've been giving high priority to better computer integration: Origin has USB and it can be controlled by MIDI. IMO it cannot be that difficult to make editor/librarian software. To those who neglect this idea, I say that in my home studio I have 22 inch screen in front of me and track pad (mouse). It would be just great to make sounds via my computer setup and then save them to computer and/or to Origin. And then on stage I have all those knobs to tweak them Live. With better computer integration nothing needed to update inside origin, right?

This been said, of course I would love to see more modules (especially modern things like supersaw osc), more templates and evolving product in general. IMO there's so much potentiality in this great thing still waiting to be realized. I have some Arturia soft synths and Spark too. I'd really like to see the day, when they make them work nicely together. What I fear most is that Arturia ceases to develop Origin and we'll hear that they won't manufacture it anymore. Hopefully this isn't beginning of the end...

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:51:01 pm by JacksonP »

eckart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 09:23:05 pm »

If this is so, this is nothing to look after for, imo.

Thanks Dj. Justice for the info.

- Long live the origin!

doktorfuture

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 10:11:58 pm »
I just purchased an Origin the other week from Sweetwater. I really like the synth and have encountered no real problems. The main knob is a bit jittery but that's about it.

The sound is excellent. I can wait for other updates, but I agree that it is bad to announce an update and then miss the date. I do think it is fair that this small company shares its priorities as it can --- it is a small company (I think under 20 people) and as such needs to keep the revenues coming in -- especially in this economic climate.

I also bought a Spark. It's pretty cool and seems to work well. Never really liked Arturia before the Origin and Spark much as I felt the 'emulations' were not very authentic sounding. They sounded good, just not like what they were trying to emulate. So I had (and suppose I still have) a problem with Arturia for that.

But I did a hands-on with an Origin about 6 weeks ago and really liked the sound and feel of the machine.

It is worth the money for me.

bereckis

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 11:11:32 am »
Hello,

I find the Origin already completely and miss no special features. Your announcements that were certainly honest, but now apparently so are not tenable, I also know of other companies.

Perhaps you have simply sold too few Origin? I think your marketing too awkward, because it extols the Origin as a copier of really good old synths. No copy is better than the original. This is essentially independent of the Origin and individual than many other modern synths.

I had bought the Origin without major future expectations.

What I do not understand that their minor quirks as part of any hotfix solves the short term:

1st The audio outputs are too quiet. This rightly criticized many users.

2nd When the Origin is almost booted, once he picks terrible.

There are certainly other minor quirks that I have not yet noticed.

I hope that the Origin survive economically with you.

I would not mind pay updates, as in the music software industry has long been customary.

greeting

An.unna.kid

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 03:30:48 am »
Thanks Phillipe,
Now I at least know you wont make an update this year. fair. Time to make some music!

I have to add that I am extremely satisfied with my Origin and would take it with me to the end of the world. I just think that the patches for Cs80 should be added as soon as possible. Surely this cant be that hard...

Anyway, I have not explored more than 10% of it's sounds and force yet but in a year or so I HOPE that the promised Cs80 with be available for download.

Cheers folks!

An.unna.kid

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 03:42:54 am »
Yes I too would pay for awesome updates.

MindPoP_

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 05:53:56 pm »
I really love my origin. I had two brokens first. Bad screen. And at first it wasnt even fully midi capeable.But it has grown on me. But. My 2 newest synths realy kick a. My tempest and my venom. Both so cool and now in my studio the Origin and the venom and the tempest hold one table and work so well together ive been neglecting all my other synths. So problems or lag besides. Origin has earned its place in my studio not by updates but by my familiarity with its presentation and flow. Ps the tempest realy kicks a. And belive it or not venom is maybe better than the origin in many ways and cost me used 279 from guitar center at a tenth the price too.But I believe the update sitch on the venom makes arturia look like champs. Arturia Why not release your code make it open source and be done with it let others more intrested experiment and make alternate operateing systems athat can be loaded on the fly. Maybe the origin can becomethe first everything synth out there . You can either use your software or hot swap to other systems.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 08:44:33 pm »
Why does Origin need update(s) and development in general? Reason is related to comments like MindPop's last one. Venom - and many other VAs which are much much cheaper than O - are good in many ways and even better than Origin. To stay in the game, Origin must be more than those. In fact there's one major thing compared to most of them: Origin is 4-part multitimbral. But finaly: you can even have four (Venoms or different synths) with Origin's price.

Let's face it: with templates (like CS80) Origin can remain interesting thing. More or less close replicant to real thing, this is what fascinates people. I could pay for well done templates (maybe not for CS80 cause it was promised...). And speaking about products like Venom, IMO Origin should develop also to more modern direction. And come on, those lower price range products like Roland GAIA, Korg R3, Venom etc. all have their editor softwares. I know I repeat myself, but why it's so difficult to make one for Origin...?

eckart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
!
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 10:17:35 pm »

Had this synthi a week now and realy love it.:)
Guess i print out the mauel to learn everything...

Thinks to + are imo:
If i press demo during my session, all my sets are lost? This should be blocked by yes or no.
On the pluginscreen, i think you should  highlight the plugin you are on a bit more.
Maybe a light bright green light. Imo, or a inverted mask.

But, my gratulations to this fine instrument to Arturia.
So much things are well and done!

A great fun. :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines