March 19, 2024, 02:45:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Encoder Problem  (Read 5595 times)

tomoe97

Encoder Problem
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:33:39 pm »
One of the encoders on my Origin has started behaving strangely. The problem is with the second encoder on the step sequencer. All the other step sequencer encoders and buttons function normally, but the second encoder will only increase the selected value no matter which way I turn it. If I turn it clockwise, the value goes up (as it should). However, if I turn it counter-clockwise, the value still increases. No matter how much I turn it counter-clockwise, I cannot get the value to decrease. After a number of turns in either direction, the value is soon maxed out and cannot be reduced. Is this a software bug or a hardware problem? I'm running OS 1.3.23.

I conveyed the problem to Technical Support but thus far have received no reply.

Ohashisano

Re: Encoder Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:37:42 am »
 First I have the same problem with the 7th encoder of the step sequencer. But since a short time the encoder stop to work completely. Hopefully this is a software bug. :) Because my warranty is over. ;D But i think not.  :'( 

tomoe97

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:52:01 pm »
Still no response from Arturia.

No one should expect electronic equipment to last forever, but on a $2400 instrument, I certainly would not have expected the encoders to go bad after only two years of conscientious usage in a smoke-free, climate-controlled environment. This is quite plainly unacceptable and I am starting to worry about how reliable the Origin actually is as a piece of hardware.

What is Arturia's position on encoder replacement? How widespread is the problem? Can users with soldering skills replace the faulty encoders ourselves or is replacement more involved? Does a single faulty encoder require the entire logic board to be replaced, as I have heard rumored?

Philippe, any light you can shed on solving the encoder problems that some of us have started to experience would be much appreciated.

Philippe

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:24:58 pm »
When just one encoder starts to work erratically this is not a firmware bug but likely the sign that the encoder is broken. Then the solution is to open a case with the support and wait for the answer.

In that particular case it is needed to send back the Origin to our maintenance facility here in France. The reparation cannot be done by anyone - even a skilled person - because the whole encoders, switches and potentiometers are soldered on a board that can only be removed and remounted using a special tool. Trying to remove or insert the board without this tool may lead to degradation of the potentiometers and/or the encoders.

If anyone has already opened a case with the support and had no answer yet just tell me, I'll double check it asap.

Origin Lead  Developer

Colourise

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:19:35 pm »
Hi Philippe

I have a case number 96286 which was opened on April 11th relating to an erratic encoder.
This encoder ceased to work properly when my Origin Keyboard was only 3 weeks old.
This case number was given to me via email by Antoine

I have not had any further communication from your support department even though I have provided all the requested information on the above date.

Surely if you are saying in your forum posting that  "if one encoder starts to work erratically this is not a firmware bug but likely the sign that the encoder is broken" then
why has no one contacted me again to have the encoder replaced under warranty?

It has been 4 months!

thank you

jimmick

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:32:23 pm »
Hi,

I had the same problem with the rate encoder in the sequencer. It would only increase the rate regardless of which way the encoder was turned.

Fortunately my unit was new and was quickly returned. Since then I have had another 2 units which were not acceptable.

Very poor quality indeed and really to be avoided until Arturia can make a reliable unit, Jimmick

tonea

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 10:53:55 am »
And they still have major problems in 2013 that they seem to be ignoring.

tonea

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 11:00:15 am »
hey the beta tester says they are fine, its all in are minds, he has had no problems with his,lol

tonea

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:22:45 pm »
The keyboard only works for certain people.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines