March 28, 2024, 08:01:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Transport / Sequencer Control Issues in Cubase 6 / Win 7  (Read 7095 times)

Jive Talking Robot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Transport / Sequencer Control Issues in Cubase 6 / Win 7
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:15:02 am »
I can't get the "Sequencer" controls on the Laboratory keyboard to control Cubase 6 32 Bit on Windows 7.  Per the manual it is supposed to transmit MMC; I read the Cubase manual and it should be set up to receive MMC, but the buttons on the Laboratory contoller don't do anything when pressed.  The MIDI monitor in Cubase indicates it is receiving a signal when I hit one of the Laboratory's transport controls, but the start/stop/etc don't actually start/stop Cubase.  The included Laboratory manual is pretty light with information as well so I am stuck at this point.

Can you assist or point me to where a there is a write up on how to control Cubase 6 via the Labratory sequencer controls?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:32:35 pm by Jive Talking Robot »

Sean W

• Beta-testers
  • Arturia US
Re: Transport / Sequencer Control Issues in Cubase 6 / Win 7
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:16 pm »
The transport buttons are not setup by default to transmit MMC, but they can be re-assigned to MMC commands either on the keyboard itself (see pages 70-73 of the manual) or using the MIDI Control Center.

The available MMC command numbers are:
01 Stop
02 Play
03 Deferred Play
04 Fast Forward
05 Rewind
06 Record Strobe (Punch In)
07 Record Exit (Punch out)
08 Record Ready (Record Pause)
09 Pause

Once the Laboratory transport buttons are assigned to MMC commands and Cubase is set to receive MMC, those buttons should control Cubase.

Jive Talking Robot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:57:56 am »
Thanks Sean. I hit Setup > Mode and reset the 6 transport controls to MMC. I then go to Global and verified the following:

Param: MMCDevID / Value: _127
Param: DevID / Value: _127

In Cubase 6, I go to Transport > Project Synchronization Setup menu.  From there I have "Machine Control Input" set to "MMC Slave Active", the "MMC Input" set to "The Laboratory" and "MMC Device ID" set to 127.

Question 1: With this setup above, I can get the Lab keyboard's "play," "stop," "fast forward" and "rewind" buttons to control Cubase.  The "record" and "loop" buttons do not control anything on Cubase, even when I press them in tandem with another button (i.e. "play" and "record").  Is there something further I need to set up?

Question 2: Per your post, the transport controls are not set by default to send MMC; is there a reason for this?  I see their default setting is Contrl.  Should I also be able to control Cubase via the Lab's transport controls w/o using MMC?

Question 3: Is there a way to reset/reinitialize the Lab keyboard to get it back to its factory default settings? I feel like I have done so much tweaking in "setup" mode that I may have screwed up a few default settings.

Thanks Sean!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:14:46 am by Jive Talking Robot »

Sean W

• Beta-testers
  • Arturia US
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:18:13 am »
OK, so you're almost there  ;)
If you simply changed the Mode of the transport buttons to MMC, the default values for the MMC commands are as follows:
STOP: 01 Stop
PLAY: 02 Play
FORWARD: 04 Fast Forward
REWIND: 05 Rewind
RECORD: 08 Record Ready (Record Pause)
LOOP: 09 Pause (there's no MMC Loop Command)
Some devices respond to MMC Record Pause then Play to go into recording (tracks should be armed first, of course).
I'm not sure about Cubase 6.
You might want to change the Command numbers (Setup  > 3/Num) as follows:
RECORD:  06 Record Strobe (Punch In)
LOOP: 07 Record Exit (Punch out)

Why the default transport settings are not MMC?
I don't know.
Different software can be set to respond to different controls. Again, not sure about Cubase 6.

Reset:
Unless you used the Store function (Setup  > 7/Store) to save your changes in one of the 11 setup memories, it will go back to the default settings after power s turned off. Memory 00 is the one loaded by default on Power up and is preset for Analog Laboratory software.
If you have saved your changes, you can use the MIDI Control Center to restore the Default Values.

Jive Talking Robot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:14:11 pm »
Awesome - thanks Sean.  I will try this out and update the thread.  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:20:04 am by Jive Talking Robot »

Jive Talking Robot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:21:14 am »
Mark it solved!  Reassigning the Record and Loop buttons to the numbers you suggested worked!  8)

Side note: when I had the MIDI Control Center send "default values" to the KB, it reassigned the Transport Contorls to values in the 50s, which, if my memory serves, is not how the keyboard shipped from Arturia (it came with the 01, 02, etc values as mentioned in your second post).  I am guessing the hardware dafault values different than the MIDI Control Center default values?

Thanks again!  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:14:32 pm by Jive Talking Robot »

Lontraki

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:10:58 am »
Hi there...
I have the same problem on Cubase 5, where i can't find any "project synchronizaion setup"...anyone can help please?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines