April 16, 2024, 07:53:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to Change Midi Output Channel on 49-key Universal Midi Controller  (Read 6844 times)

djules23

I recently purchased the Laboratory Experience that comes with a 49-key midi controller.  I want to use it with Sonik Synth 2 as a stand-alone application.  I can play anything loaded on Sonik Synth 2's Channel 1 just fine, but cannot seem to find a way to play patches loaded in SS2's other channels.  How do I change the midi output channel from the 49-key controller, so that I can use sounds loaded on other Sonik Synth 2 MIDI channels?

Sean W

• Beta-testers
  • Arturia US
Re: How to Change Midi Output Channel on 49-key Universal Midi Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 07:19:17 pm »
The MIDI transmit Channel be changed either on the Keyboard itself in the SETUP/GLOBAL menu, or using The Laboratory MIDI Control Center utility that is installed when installing Analog Laboratory software (update 1.2 is now available in the Downloads section).

You can change le Global MIDI Channels for Upper and Lower.
If SplitMod is Off, the keyboard only transmits notes on the Upper Channel.
If SplitMod is On, the keyboard transmits notes on both channels, according to the SplitPnt (split point) setting.

You can change this parameter "on-the -fly" (press SETUP, press 6/GLOBAL, turn the Category/Pararm knob to show UpperCh parameter, turn the Preset/Value knob to change the MIDI channel, press down the Preset/Value knob to enter/confirm, press SETUP to exit), or you can store different settings in the Keyboard Memories 00 thru 10 and recall them as needed. (Memory 00 is the default memory)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:27:10 pm by Sean W »

CyberKenny

Does this apply to program changes too? I have the same controller hooked up to a GoldStar GS-1000R via MIDI which is a GM module, and I can't seem to send a program change on anything else than MIDI channel 1. What am I missing?

Manuel

• GTHC-Entertainment
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 01:31:22 pm »
Does this apply to program changes too? I have the same controller hooked up to a GoldStar GS-1000R via MIDI which is a GM module, and I can't seem to send a program change on anything else than MIDI channel 1. What am I missing?

What kind of program changes are you talking about? Maybe the GoldStar GS-1000R can only recieve on channel 1?

CyberKenny

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:19:19 am »
What kind of program changes are you talking about? Maybe the GoldStar GS-1000R can only recieve on channel 1?

Thanks for responding, the Goldstar module recieves data on all 16 channels.

To elaborate a bit, from the MIDI section (Snapshot/Setup button 10) on the Laboratory keyboard, you can set the bank (MSB), sub-bank (LSB), and the program itself. Then you press the Preset/Value rotary button to send the program change message. There are NO settings regarding which channel to send on. This means that program changes are limited to MIDI Channel 1. Literally everything else than program changes can be set to another channel on my Laboratory keyboard. I can control the module via a DAW or another controller, but that's not always the solution - especially not when using just the Laboratory live with multitimbral synths.

Setting the channel for the Upper/Lower panels (or any other parameter/button for that matter) does nothing for my program change issue. Monitoring with MIDI OX, it seems I'm always sending out those messages on channel 1, but the rest of the messages are on correct channels.

On my Evolution MK-461C (slightly simpler as there is no keyboard split functionality, though) I could just choose a global channel to send on and that was that. To me it seems like Arturia never thought of this scenario, strangely enough, possibly because their controllers are so integrated with their softsynths?

Thanks for trying. It's a nice controller none the less. :-)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines