March 19, 2024, 08:27:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MiniMg or Mg Modular - which should I buy?  (Read 4401 times)

drossi147

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MiniMg or Mg Modular - which should I buy?
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:07:50 pm »
I posted the question in the MiniMg forum too, so it will be interesting to see the different responses.  I purchased The One to get a Mg synth and now I need to choose between the mini and the modular.  I have messed about with both and like them both.  Any advice?

GaryV

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: MiniMg or Mg Modular - which should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 12:59:17 pm »
Just a suggestion, but you might want to consider one of the "collection" editions, or two for one specials currently underway, to get both!  As a Christmas present to myself, I recently purchased the the 8 synth collection from Nova Music.  I got mine for $300...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Arturia-V-Collection-2-Synthesizer-Synth-Mg-ARP-NEW-/310279932294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483e200986

They also have a lower priced 3 for 1 alternative as here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Arturia-One-Software-Synth-Synthesizer-V-Collection-/310285958138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483e7bfbfa

HTH,
G

Dai Williams

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:03:20 pm »
Hi Hi Hi there

I'm lucky to have both and I think it's fair to say that the miniMg is a lot easier to use.  I think that you really have to know what you are doing in order to get usable sounds out of the Mg Modular but with the MiniMg, you can mess about with no particular objective in mind and get new usable sounds quickly. 

With the added patching available on the MiniMg, there are extra routing parameters available over and above those available on the original instrument which will allow you to carry out some of the functions available on the Mg modular.

If I had to chose one - I'd stick with the miniMg. 

johnallan

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 06:40:35 am »
I'd say it depends upon what your use will be.
If you are going to use it to play monophonic lead lines primarily (ala. Rick Wakeman, etc), and want that specific miniMg sound, then I'd go with the mini. Although the Arturia emulation supports polyphony (which is amazing), the miniMg as a musical instrument really was a lead instrument in its own right.

If you're more into complicated pads and evolving sound textures, then I'd choose the modular. But then again it can do leads too (unlike the real one where [in my experience] it didn't track a keyboard particularly well). But arturia's does track, so...

Or --- buy them both.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines