April 27, 2024, 02:12:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Request: Seq/Arp BPM saved per preset  (Read 3945 times)

holografique

Request: Seq/Arp BPM saved per preset
« on: July 23, 2010, 04:44:42 pm »
the BPM is pretty important for specific patches where you are using the sequencer or the arpeggiator to create unique effects (e.g. fast BPM to create cool swirling arpeggiated lines). without having the right BPM recalled, you cant ensure that the end user experiences the proper effect if the BPM is not set right.

Niccolo

• Administrator
  • Arturia developer
Re: Request: Seq/Arp BPM saved per preset
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:20:34 am »
The problem about this is that in most cases, you are just looking for a sound for your song, for example, a sequence. You don't expect the sequence preset you load to set its specific tempo, but you want it synchronized with the global tempo.

If the BPM was saved into presets, what would happen when you load many presets, each with a different BPM, in a multi?

You can already set the sequencer so it is not synchronized to the global tempo: just use the "sync" option in the right panel, then change the "rate" parameter. I admit that the arpeggiator does not have such a feature. It would be interesting to add it, like on the sequencer.

What do you think about it?

holografique

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:59:21 pm »
The problem about this is that in most cases, you are just looking for a sound for your song, for example, a sequence. You don't expect the sequence preset you load to set its specific tempo, but you want it synchronized with the global tempo.

I think saying that is "how most cases are" is somewhat assuming. there are very many styles of music where seq/arp are not required to be in sync. especially for sound effects, ambient, drone, type styles where you are looking for free-flowing moving soundscapes and the speed of the seq/arp is actually a part of the fx. Just listen to any old Jarre album and you'll hear tons of swirling sounds where the arpeggiator is not in sync and is flying around at a fast speed to give the sense of movement separate from the main rhythm.

If the BPM was saved into presets, what would happen when you load many presets, each with a different BPM, in a multi?

I see that to be an easy solution: you allow for the option of sync internal/external/off to be per preset. this way the sound designer has the option to choose whether he/she needs the BPM to be set at a particular speed to achieve the "effect" they want, or if it's to be used more for rhythmic type work where you want it synced with your beats, etc.

when you need to setup a multi, then each preset has the option to be either free-running, or synced to the DAW/Host/Sequencer as mentioned above.

would this be possible?

thanks for the response nicoclo!

-omar

Philippe

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:50 am »
The sequencer can be set to work either with the machine BPM or with its own "private" BPM. Go to the Seq page, there's a panel on the right where you should find 2 parameters named SYNC and RATE.

When SYNC is ON, the RATE parameter displays values such as 1/16, 1/8... In that mode the Sequencer is synchronised to the machine BPM and the step duration will be 1/16th , 1/8th etc of a beat.

When SYNC is OFF, the RATE parameter displays a numeric value - eg 120 - which is the "private" BPM and then the step duration derives from this BPM.

However there's no such parameter choice concerning the Arpeggio. I'm not sure a SYNC ON/OFF mode would be a good thing for an Arpeggio but I may be wrong. Let me know if you would like such a SYNC mode to be added.

Origin Lead  Developer

holografique

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 02:43:05 am »
hi philwick...

yes, having the same flexibility or sync mode on the arppegiator would be GREAT for the reasons I've described in the previous posts.

Arpeggiators are used in MANY other ways than just for syncing. Sure if you're just producing straight up techno/trance then you're likely going to always sync it. But there are tons of styles of electronic music and sound design where free-running arpeggiators are great ways to create non-linear and non-synced movement within a mix.

Also, please allow the BPM of the arpeggiator to be saved and recalled by a preset. This is important if you are designing presets and you want the end user to experience the specific FX or movement you created with the BPM of the arpeggiator.

thanks

-o

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines