March 29, 2024, 02:17:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Ableton Preset changing  (Read 6805 times)

codevyper

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Ableton Preset changing
« on: July 25, 2010, 03:08:48 am »
I just bought the Analog V2 Collection and am in the process of reprogramming my Pro-53 patches to the Pro-V2. I use my VST's for gigging and I use Ableton 8.1 for my VST host. I am trying to figure out how I can call patch changes from my controller keyboard to the Pro-V. In Ableton it usually shows me a list of presets when I highlight the track containing the VST I want to see. I can usually choose the preset either via a midi program change message or by opening the drop-down and selecting it from within Ableton without having to open the VST interface window. How do I do this with the Arturia Pro-V2? Can I store my patches in the "Programmer" section of the interface somehow and recall them using midi patch change messages in Ableton?

The book doesn't seem to talk about this for any other platform besides Pro Tools.

Thanks

b-szczesny

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Ableton Preset changing
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 09:37:56 am »
+1

I`m using novation sl mkII keyboard - it can transmit bank and program messages but I can`t get it work proper.

codevyper

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Ableton Preset changing
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 08:32:47 pm »
As I often do when I'm stuck, I took a break last night and when I came back I had a fresh perspective and was able to figure it out. For the record, at least in Ableton Live 8.1, what happens is this:

I send a patch change command from my Motif or my M-Audio Axiom 61 on the midi channel for the appropriate Arturia VST I want to control. Each VST is on it's own track in Ableton with a specific MIDI channel mapped to that track. Ableton transparently passes patch change info through to the VST. The VST patch changes to the patch number within your currently active bank. It does not show up in Ableton's VST interface for that synth in Ableton's device view window (hey Arturia can you make this feature available to us Ableton users?), but the patch does change. I don't know about bank changes but if you disable the bank MSB/LSB messages and just send a straight patch number change (1-127) it should change the patch itself. The bank change commands may be what is preventing your patch changes. If the Novation lets you disable this then do so and give it another go with just the patch changes.

I was worried as I just spent the $400 on the Vintage collection, loaded into my laptop I use for gigging and when I couldn't figure out how to change patches remotely with midi. I was thinking "This is a deal breaker!" because I need this capability for live use. In the end though, it was a P.E.B.C.A.K. issue (P.E.B.C.A.K. = Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)

Thanks Arturia for a killer product! I'm loving this collection!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines