April 20, 2024, 01:55:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MiniMg V Midi Mapping is crippled?  (Read 5508 times)

mmw

MiniMg V Midi Mapping is crippled?
« on: January 23, 2010, 02:56:46 am »
I just upgraded to v2 of the MiniMg V and was shocked to find that there are still giant holes in the midi mapping.

All of the switches, toggles and the step-knobs on the front panel are not available to the host app so they can only be accessed with mouse (unless I'm missing something). The controls that aren't available through midi are essential building blocks in sound construction which means the software is severely crippled unless you want to spend your time navigating around with a mouse - which is brutal when you're trying to build and tweak sounds.

Apologies if I'm missing some obvious workaround. But I couldn't recommend this software to anyone unless the midi mapping is more complete.

Why isn't  Arturia making these controls available?
Is there any plan to change this?

T0M

Re: MiniMg V Midi Mapping is crippled?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:58:19 am »
I bought this product expecting much more then I received. I also read up on the licensing and expected to use the software on my laptop as well as in the studio. After upgrading V2.2 because it did not work out of the box the promise that it could be installed on 3 computers was taken away. This software is not ready for the market, no midi mapping, childish security and breach of purchase contract, does not recognize ASIO, and a piss poor error ridden instruction manual. I will never buy Arturia again and I will recommend against it every chance I get. I feel I was robbed of my money. I now know why people crack software to try it and to see if it works. I should have spent my money on another product.

Phil999

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:43:39 pm »
I just upgraded to v2 of the MiniMg V

wrong forum, but as the switches and some other parameters in the Mg Modular are not accessible for MIDI control too, it may be worth continuing this thread here. I understand that for the MiniMg this lack is more of an issue. With the Modular you have to use the mouse for the wires anyway, so it is not a big disadvantage.

But I also would like to have remote-access to switches, and better labeling of the parameters that would make the creation of a Generic Remote in Cubase easier.

Tom:
Software troubles can ruin one's good mood sometimes. I know that too, it occurs to me again and again, unfortunately. But I can assure you that the Modular works out of the box. You can also install it on more than one computer. And many satisfied customers that use Arturia products for hobby or professional productions are enough prove that these products are ready for the market since years.

In my DAW, the Modular has the most complicated MIDI map. It needs three presets of a BCR2000, controlling more than 100 parameters in real-time. I only need the mouse for the cables and the switches. For inaccessible parameters like the VCO drivers there is a workaround using the two (controllable) X-Y pads.

The manual is excellent, it is difficult to find that quality in other products (I'm speaking about the Modular manual). I gave my printed manual away to a young 'synth apprentice', and years later he thanked me for learning about synthesizers. And it's needless to say that ASIO drivers are recognized.

I do respect your opinion and you can recommend against Arturia as much as you wish, I just wanted to point out that this opinion may not be shared by all people, especially those who work with the Modular since years. Also, this Arturia-bashing does not attract moderators very much, which leads to those non-moderated forums here. Let's keep it polite and with dignity, which will be an advantage to all of us.

Cheers ;)

T0M

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:20:37 pm »
Hi Phil999,
Thanks for bringing me back to earth, but I must say that I am still disappointed with the software. I was a bit frustrated when I made my post. I still feel that the software does not meet my expectations as per what I read in the promotions before I bought it. I bought the boxed version of 2.2 and it did not work in my daw, I was then advised to do the free update to 2.5 which I did and it did fix the problem in my daw. What it also did was take away my ability to have the software run simutaneously on my laptop as well as on the studio computer. This was an important consideration when I purchased the software. I was also forced to by a dongle after the upgrade to make the software portable ( this was not mentioned when I was advised to upgrade). I am also very disappointed that I can not  automate any adjustments with my daw as I can with my other vst's This was one of the most important expectations I had, after all what is a vst without this feature? I feel like I have paid for some very expensive beta software that is more of a novelty then a serious tool for the studio, and until Arturia modifies their promotional information I will still feel that they are deceiving buyers.
I am sorry if I hurt anyones feeling. I am just sharing my experience.
Tom

Phil999

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:23:33 am »
I understand. I bought the boxed version too, I think it was a version 2 and it had some minor errors. I could still use it, but a year later, when 2.2 was released, all went fine.

Automation:
What DAW are you using? In Cubase, I have to enable Automation Write, and it records every movement from my controller, and displays it when I play back in Automation Read mode. I did not try with an instrument track, I always use the VST Instrument panel for VSTi's.
The setup may differ, but I think this problem can be solved.

multiple installations:
well here I admit that there is a limitation. I'm not sure if one can purchase a second dongle and load another license for a second computer. Another option might be a software dongle, but for this the computer has to be connected to the internet.

I still use version 2.2. On my test DAW (same laptop via multiboot) I have 2.5, the license on the same dongle as for Cubase. So it seems I can use 2.5 only once, but actually that's my workflow anyway. I never load more than one MMV and render each track one by one. I only use my own MMV presets, so I got used to this less versatile method. As a side-effect, I get reminded to the earlier years with tape-machine and hardware synthesizers. You always try to get the sound right before recording, and so in Cubase I try to get the sound right before rendering.

Every software has its limitations. I was often thinking about a dedicated computer for the Mg Modular V2, with a vertical display. It looks like a second dongle is needed for this. One for holding your usual licenses plugged to the DAW, and another one with only the MMV license, so that it can be used outside the DAW if needed.

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:59:44 pm »
multiple installations:
well here I admit that there is a limitation. I'm not sure if one can purchase a second dongle and load another license for a second computer. Another option might be a software dongle, but for this the computer has to be connected to the internet.

hmmm... I just bought MMV2.5 and thanks to this thread I realized that it used to be possible to do what I occasionally do now with Propellerhead's Record (using CodeMeter copy protection) where my main home setup (net connected) always uses the net-based authorization which frees the USB dongle to be kept on my laptop's backpack so I'm always sure I won't be app-less when on the road.

It would be great if the eLicenser could allow this same functionality I'm so used to now  :-\

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines